• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Low height red dot for lever action

Biscuits

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2020
This is a bit less precision than most of the guns/optics on here, but here goes.

I've had a Marlin CSBL .357 for a while running the open sights; I don't use it that often and it's not a particularly accurate package and so am not planning on spending much on it. I like the look of the rifle without an optic, but I don't really like not having an optic.
Here is the rifle, as you can see it has an extended length picatinny rail, so you could put a long eye relief scope on if you wanted to.
i-5DHKvxq.jpg

I think a scope would spoil the look of the rifle and would mean I'd need a comb riser. So am thinking a low profile red dot like this Vortex Viper, but it could just as well be anything this size:
i-W49TzfD.jpg

It looks like even a low profile red dot like this one will not let me co-witness with the open sights, but I can live with that.

The questions I have are:
1. Recommendations for this type of red dot. Lower end of the price range, provided it stands up to .357 recoil.
2. The size of the dot: I see them advertised as 2 MOA, 3 MOA, 6 MOA etc, but doesn't the angle subtended by the dot depend on how far in front of your eye it is? This rifle has a long rail, so I could mount the sight near my eye or far from my eye. The MOA of the dot has got to vary depending where I mount it?

I have three Vortex Venom 2moa red dots on 22lr pistols, they are good but prefer the the Holosun 507C-V2 (or newer model) that we have on our Kidd 22lr race rifles (four of them). I think the Holosun would be a better option for your lever action, they do cost a little more, IIRC $309 each. I don't think recoil from your 357 rifle will hurt any of the red dots you or I mentioned.

Leupold Deltapoint has built in impact protection in the design. I would wait to get one on sale. Burris fastfire 3 would be my second choice. Use one on my shotgun which is kind of the same configuration as your lever. Both Worked great

Got a flip down adjustable buck site and a NOS flip up peep, red dots are fun, but the lever with buck/peep is the OG of co witnessed “assault rifle” ;)

Reactions: Texasflyer