• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Low light 100-300yd scope for AR?

aberbaseball7

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2010
Wichita Falls tx
In a couple of weeks I plan to order a new upper for my AR15. Going with a Noveske Rogue Hunter 5.56. And I need a scope for it.

My main concern is light gathering and glass quality as I will be hunting small varmints and white tail deer in low light or at night (no deer at night) with good moon light. Along with the occasional target shooting for fun. I don't have the funds for a night vision setup so I'm looking for a good low light performing scope. I prefer a lit reticle but may consider a non lit.

Budget is a big issue also. I would rather not spend $1200 or so but if it will make a world of difference over a cheaper scope it will be considered.

Range will be mostly under 100yds but the occasional coyote shot at 300 or so is not out of the norm.

Tell me what you think will suit me best with light gathering abilities.

Re: Low light 100-300yd scope for AR?

It’s likely not at all what you want (READ NOT HIGHSPEED NOR LOW DRAG) but I will share. I put a Nikon Monarch Gold 1.5-6x42mm with the German 4 reticle on my muzzleloader this past deer season.

I got stuck in the blind a couple times with deer surrounding me just past Michigan’s legal hunting hours. One of those times I had a 3/4 moon and had no problem seeing the deer through my scope in a dense woods. With the heavy reticle I also had no problem finding it (the reticle). The scope is not illuminated.

I am not sure they are made anymore but they were Nikons top of the line scope a few years ago and can be found on E-bay (where I got mine) and SWFA’s sample list from time to time. The glass quality in the Monarch Gold line will knock your socks off, I have two and both are outstanding. The other one is a 2.5-10x42mm but has Nikon’s standard plex which gets had to find after dark. It has found its way to my 22LR and the turrets (capped) get a lot of turning. It has always tracked and returned to zero.

Edited,

I found a 2.5-10x50 German 4 on midway, I can’t find any 1.5-6x42 anywhere at the moment.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/949367/...4-reticle-matte

Another question. Is a 1-4x24 going to limit light gathering? Would a 2.5-10x42 or the like be better at absorbing more light.

3-9x40 Zeiss Conquest would probably do. $399 too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aberbaseball7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another question. Is a 1-4x24 going to limit light gathering? Would a 2.5-10x42 or the like be better at absorbing more light. </div></div>

The eye can use up to around 7mm of light (exit pupil) divide the objective by the power to get this figure, 24 (objective size) divided into 4 (power) =6mm so based solely on that it would not transmit everything your eye could use. However, quality coating and glass do make a difference as well. So this isn’t an end all rule. Turning the power down would give a better image and appear to “gather” more light. But a scope is not capable of gathering, only transmitting. For what that’s worth...

Generally speaking the larger the objective the higher you can go in magnification without the scope appearing to dim out on you.

I guess where I am at a crossroads is do I need to spend $1500 on a scope built like a tank with great glass. Or can I get away with spending $800 and get the same glass quality without the tank built scope that I really will never abuse.

It will be on a hunting and plinking .223. Is there a scope out there that may not be built like a tank but has absolutely great glass?

Also how well do the Trijicon ACOG do in low light? Im not sure I would like a fixed power but if it makes more sense then thats what I will do.

While I don’t mean to make this sound like a sales add for Nikon but FWIW my 1.5-6 survived a 5 foot fall from my deer blind due to failure on my part to secure the rifle fully while climbing into the 10’ platform. The rifle landed on the ground with the scope taking most of the blow. I was surprised that there were no signs of damage to the scope or loss of zero.

If that monarch gold had a illum German #4 it would be hard to pass up. I just feel like in my situation a illum reticle would be best.

I have noticed a few IOR scopes in the for sale section for $800-$900 and know they have great glass. Got a couple weeks till my return comes in but I may hold out to see if someone puts a IOR 2.5x10x42 up for a good price.

I do appreciate all the help you have been. Just so many choices. LOL

I hear ya on the choices. On the illumination, I was a bit skeptical when I first bought it as I had been using a 1.75-6x Burris with an illuminated dot for the last several years. But for my needs, I haven’t missed the dot... yet.
smirk.gif

As mentioned above Zeiss 3x9x40 or 50 depending how much you want to spend. Have 1 and their next power up in 44mm. Their 40mm will gather much more might than a buckmaster 50mm I think it's good glass for the money I use June alit at night only downside to night hunting with a Zeiss is there's a big jump in cost to get one illuminated... mines not and it does fine. I'd prefer illuminate but for the price doubt you'll find one that will gather as much light