• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Low Power Optic

DocRDS

Head Maffs Monkey
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
The Great Beyond
Problem: I'm old and the astigmatism is getting worse along with 10 other things in my eyes. Red dots are great for my ar, but I can't even see the damn target anyway. Using irons--holy crap its a miracle I can even hit the target as I can't even DISCERN the target. (Shooting with the M1 is fun, it can't miss and I can't see LOL!)

So we gotta go with some magnification on my ARs.
So in a budget around $1k with some amount of mag (1-4,1-6 maybe--I know as you go up--so does price).
Reticle: DO NOT WANT BDC. I'd rather have a tree with subdivisions and know my holds for loads. Or just learn where to hold on target--this is NOT for precision rifle, its for my AR and 'combat' accuracy. Mainly so I can ping plates maybe to 400 max, but mostly at 100. (Yes my eyesight has gotten that bad).
ALso need something rugged enough that it can get knocked around at various carbine matches/etc.

It can even be fixed low power. (If such a thing exists)

Prefer Mil/mil but not a deal breaker.

TIA

I recently bought a Vortex Viper PST 1-6 x 24. Mine is Mil/Mil 2nd Focal Plane. Glass is good. Retical works for me. I'm 77 yrs old but did have cataract surgery.

Reactions: 10ring'r
I think the Vortex 1x6 is all you would need. Heck, I've got a TruGlo 1x6 I've had for damn near 10 years, it's been dropped twice (once by my dumbass, and once by someone else, being stupid at the range gun rack) and both times, it still held zero and it's got a bent objective bezel that hasn't leaked gas, yet, anyways. This thing has had a permanent residence on my first AR. So...I think the Vortex would be a damn great addition to your AR. A Vortex 1x8 would be icing on the cake. If my "poor's" scope goes down, that would be my replacement optic. I have a bad right eye (had bleeders and got lasered), so I shoot scoped rifles left handed now, but I can still see the reticle and target when I swap eyeballs (for just because) fairly clearly. Has good glass for what it is. Have shot out to 500yds. with it. That's my honest opinion, anyways. Good luck with your choice! Mac

If you can find a 1-8 Trijicon used, that'd be my recommendation. No tree reticle, but the glass is decent, it's durable, and the 8x is nice for aging eyes.

Used PA Platinum 1-8 Griffin Mil scopes pop up from time to time under $1k

PST gen 2 1-6x

daylight bright dot, 6x more than enough mag, low price, Vortex warranty

cons are it's fairly big and heavy... but the more expensive LPVO are bigger and heavier

Do yourself a favor and find a TR24 triangle ret. Trijicon to look through..........
clear, bright, no battery to die, great eye relief and around $750~ if you can find one. I have similar
vision issues and it is by far my go to LVPO, it's only 1-4 but for what it's used for me 50-300yds. it shines.
I have red and green so you have a choice also. https://www.trijicon.com/products/product-family/trijicon-accupoint-TR24

Last edited: