• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Low power scope for AR

Mildot

Private
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2003
Central Indiana
I just ordered a new Aero Precision 16" AR to make a RECCE style carbine.

What would be the best low power [1-6] scope and mount to put on it.

My budget is $700. It will be rarely shot and will mainly be used at the range with a 300 yard max distance.

Thanks

I would recommend vortex pst gen 2 1-6 on my 18” spr. They can be had for $500 or so. I picked up mine for $530 with a free $100 mount on a primary arms sale a few months back.
I'm running the Vortex 1-6 Gen 2 on my 16" Aero Precision and like it.

For your budget your options to say within that budget (buying new) strictly is pretty much a vortex PST Gen 2 1-6x with an American made mount of some kind (Warne, Aero precision, etc). If you want to stretch your budget I would look at the Delta stryker 1-6x24 or the Trijicon credo HX 1-6 with the illuminated dot (not the segmented circle unless day bright illumination isn't that important) due to the Illumination being brighter.

If you want to go used, your options expand. There isn't much on snipers hide right now, but if you bounce over to the EE listings on Ar15.com you can find some good stuff. I've added a couple finds...

*Note, a few of these do not have "day bright" illumination, but I added them because they are Japanese made LPVOs for decent prices used. Good luck

Burris RT-6 1-6x24mm with FastFire III - Ballistic AR Illuminated

Steiner P4XI 1-4x24

Meopta Optika6 1-6x24

Athlon Optics Midas BTR GEN2 1-6x24 - ATSR4 SFP IR MOA

Athlon Optics Helos BTR GEN2 1-10x28 ATMR4 SFP IR MOA

Hawke Frontier 1-6x24

As a long standing supporting vendor here on the forum it is our pleasure to assist in discussing different options and opportunities with you. Please give a call, 516-217-1000, when you have a few moments
That is an excellent deal on the Burris rt6!

If you can find a used Vortex razor gen 2 that is what I'd recommend.

The P4Xi is great but it's 1-4.

Thanks for all the replies.

I decided to go with a Vortex Viper PST Gen II 1-6x24. I like the reticle in that one better than the horseshoe style which seems to be all the rage.

Will wait and see if there are any Memorial Day sales.

Is the Aero ultralight a decent mount? Don't really need a throw lever mount and I like the slim profile.

Thanks

Reactions: PBWalsh
A used Burris XTR II 1-8 is also another great choice if you can find one

Reactions: JDB55

I decided to go with a Vortex Viper PST Gen II 1-6x24. I like the reticle in that one better than the horseshoe style which seems to be all the rage.

Will wait and see if there are any Memorial Day sales.

Is the Aero ultralight a decent mount? Don't really need a throw lever mount and I like the slim profile.

Thanks
They’re okay for LPVO, just a bit of a pain to install because as you torque the screws the tube tends to rotate a little.

I like the Warnes MSR a bit better than the Aero ultralight but they're heavier and probably a bit more expensive.

Aeros are fine for the weight and the cost though ... just little harder to set up initially.

Reactions: JDB55
I like the Warnes MSR a bit better than the Aero ultralight but they're heavier and probably a bit more expensive.

Aeros are fine for the weight and the cost though ... just little harder to set up initially.
I equally prefer the Warne Xskels MSRs having had both, especially for something like a PST Gen II 1-6 that's pretty chunky. Don't feel the 3.5-4 ounces of the aero is the best to hold up something that heavy over hard use. Just my opinion

Reactions: st1650
just recently picked up a 2x7 for one of mine and I absolutely love the unit , while hating the lack of power . At the same time I am not in love with the ret that I choose it works up close really nice , easy for the eye to pick it up . But with out any graduations the dot just makes hitting targets further than 300 yards a complete guess will it hit or not also I can hardly see impacts past 100 yards with it if even that far just would have been nice even if It's slower to have more mag maybe 2x18 when what I wanted to get a arken 5x25 , lol I am a bad bad mag whore who just loves having more power than I really need . best of luck with what ever you get .

I just ordered a new Aero Precision 16" AR to make a RECCE style carbine.

What would be the best low power [1-6] scope and mount to put on it.

My budget is $700. It will be rarely shot and will mainly be used at the range with a 300 yard max distance.

Thanks
I really like my Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8x24. They also make a 1-6x24 model. But for the money, you might as well get the 8x version.

Magnification is a lot like many other things in life... It's better to have it and not need it, then to need it, and not have it. 👍🏼

Reactions: camocorvette
I really like my Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8x24. They also make a 1-6x24 model. But for the money, you might as well get the 8x version.

Magnification is a lot like many other things in life... It's better to have it and not need it, then to need it, and not have it. 👍🏼
I would disagree, I guarantee you that my 6x VX6HD I can resolve and see better than your SE at 8x - and you also loose on FOV.

I'd get a quality 1-4 (px4i) over a cheap SE 1-6 and a quality 1-6 over a cheaper 1-8.

Plus they tend to be lighter.

I would disagree, I guarantee you that my 6x VX6HD I can resolve and see better than your SE at 8x - and you also loose on FOV.

I'd get a quality 1-4 (px4i) over a cheap SE 1-6 and a quality 1-6 over a cheaper 1-8.

Plus they tend to be lighter.
Whatever you say man. 🤷🏼 😂

I agree. I have the same setup on a ar. It's handy, bright and no issues so far. It's not that expensive.

What @st1650 is saying, I agree as well. I'd rather have 6x of nice glass then 8x of meh glass. The Vortex isn't bad. I like mine.
But it's hard to say better glass at lower power is bad. Run what ya got, plan and save to buy better always.

Trijicon 1-4x24 AccuPoint 30mm Riflescope DEMO-B​

TR24G, Matte, Green Triangle Post
SWFA samplelist
700 + tax

I have narrowed it down to the Vortex Viper PST GEN2 and the Athlon Midas BTR GEN2, both in 1-6x24. Not interested in any other models.

I can not find any locally to look through and was wondering what the consensus was on the best one?

Will go on a 16" carbine, use out to 300 yards but mainly 50-100 yards.

Thanks

I was able to look at a Vortex Viper PST and decided it was off the list. I think I want to spend a little more money and am now thinking about the Trijicon Credo 1-6 Red dot BDC or the Leupold Mark 3HD 1.5-4x20 Firedot BDC. I have owned Leupolds for 40 years and feel comfortable with them but I like the reviews on the Credo and the extra 2 power would be nice for range use.

Get the Credo 1-6x24 with the red dot or Delta Stryker 1-6x24. Very very similar, Japanese Glassed/manufacturing, bright center dot. You won't be disappointed.

I was able to look at a Vortex Viper PST and decided it was off the list. I think I want to spend a little more money and am now thinking about the Trijicon Credo 1-6 Red dot BDC or the Leupold Mark 3HD 1.5-4x20 Firedot BDC. I have owned Leupolds for 40 years and feel comfortable with them but I like the reviews on the Credo and the extra 2 power would be nice for range use.
At this point, I think you need remember to pay attention to the eyebox @ max magnification. This is directly related to the diameter of the fucking straw you are looking through (size of the objective).

My first (and only) LPVO is a Swampfox 1-10 24mm (obj). I am happy with it except at 10x, where the eyebox gets very finicky. If you are not exceeding 6x, then you should be OK. But in general, don't get orgasmic over its 1X/1.5X functionality without spending a lot of time at the top end. If these are SFP, then that is where the BDC will be accurate.

I want to try the new PA PLX 1-8. That thing looks to be badass. Yeah I know FFP and SFP, FFP for this not really needed but I still want to check one out. $1500 tho!