• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Low-powered scope choice for M1A?

steppenwolf

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 28, 2008
midwest
For the M1A guys who have their Nat'l Match or Super Match scoped ... can anyone recommend a 30mm low-power tactical scope?

Would like to stay under $500 and am looking for something in the 1-4x or 1-5x range that will stand up to a lot of shooting. This will go on my old school SM that's in a synthetic stock using a bipod. Shooting will be inside 500yds.

I've since got rid of the Millett and am using a GGG bipod mount, but otherwise ...
CIMG1431.jpg

Also, I've already have three dedicated 7.62 bolt rigs set up and zero-ed with 30mm scopes of higher magnification (e.g., 4-16x50) for shooting distances beyond 500yds, so didn't want to repeat that level of optic (nor spendage) for the SM.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations!

cool.gif

Re: Low-powered scope choice for M1A?

Thanks! I'll check it out.

What's a reasonable "street" price for one?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steppenwolf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've since got rid of the Millett and am using a GGG bipod mount, but otherwise ...
CIMG1431.jpg
</div></div>

Did you have any issues with the Millett?

I ask because our department is getting ready to issue out some M14's with Millett 1-4x scopes on them.

LoneWolf, I've used a Millett DMS-1 on an AR15 for several years; one thing I suggest is that you equip them with MGM Switchviews, or the throw lever of your choice. The zoom rings can be very hard to turn on some of these scopes. Other than that, I really have no issues with these inexpensive scopes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steppenwolf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've since got rid of the Millett and am using a GGG bipod mount, but otherwise ...
CIMG1431.jpg
</div></div>

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Did you have any issues with the Millett?</span></span>

I ask because our department is getting ready to issue out some M14's with Millett 1-4x scopes on them. </div></div>

Lonewolf:

Sorry for the tardiness of my response ...

I agree on the recommendation on the MGM switchview rings for just about any scope, as I have several; however, the "tail" they put on these is, IMO, too long so I trimmed them back slightly. I took off enough so it catches less on gear and stuff, but retains enough length for leverage.

On the Millett, mine was an early model. It was heavy for it's initial role on a 16" AR Recon I had set up. It also needed more eye relief than I desired and it was extremely finicky about where I placed my cheek during running and gunning.

I tried it on the SM M1A for a while and, as set up there, the eye relief was better, but then sold it later. I was figuring better options had come along that were lighter in weight, had better glass with less finicky eye relief issues.

Also, the optics market being what it is, I figured by now there would be price-competitive choices in low-powered tactical scopes.

Still hoping so, ... and looking for what other shooters are using on their M1As.

Thanks!

S.W. Nice set up you have there. I'm in that 21% groupe that are in proverty. I also enjoy shooting my SEI M1 so I had to purchase a used scope and went with the 3.5x10x40.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steppenwolf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

On the Millett, mine was an early model. It was heavy for it's initial role on a 16" AR Recon I had set up. It also needed more eye relief than I desired and it was extremely finicky about where I placed my cheek during running and gunning.

</div></div>

I got lucky with a second gen model, so some of the early issues had been resolved. I agree with your statements about weight and cheek position for a run & gun carbine. The one I've had on my carbine has been replaced with a Vortex Strikefire, and is now on a 20" Varmint upper. Works real well for that application.

I will also recommend the Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24. I have one sitting on my DPMS and think highly of the scope.

A friend of mine rolled the windage turret ~2MOA twice at the Ozark 3 gun match last week on his PST when he pulled his rifle out of the case. Watch the turrets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spiff034</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A friend of mine rolled the windage turret ~2MOA twice at the Ozark 3 gun match last week on his PST when he pulled his rifle out of the case. Watch the turrets. </div></div>

Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions.

I had looked at that <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Burris Tac-30 1-4x</span></span>, which fmsniper suggested above, but also saw that Burris marketed other 1-4x scopes in their "tactical" line-up, like the XTR series.

Does anyone have hands-on experience w/ a Burris product mounted on their M1A?

Thanks!
cool.gif

I know this isn't what you asked for but a 3-9 type scope tends to fit the m1a perfectly. I run a Nightforce compact with the LV reticle but a pride fowler 3-9 seems very good as well. It's a lot cheaper and FFP so I've been wanting to give it a shot.

b8269a29.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lennyo3034</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know this isn't what you asked for but a 3-9 type scope tends to fit the m1a perfectly. I run a Nightforce compact with the LV reticle but a pride fowler 3-9 seems very good as well. It's a lot cheaper and FFP so I've been wanting to give it a shot.

b8269a29.jpg
</div></div>

Thanks, Lenny. I'm committed to sticking to an optic in the low-power magnif-range, but you have a really sweet set-up there.
smile.gif

I had a Leupy 1.5-5x SPR on a 308 for while. Liked it quite a bit, but IMO, there was a bit too much fish-eye at 1.5 .

I liked it for what it was; but it didn't do anything really good. Just a general purpose kinda good....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TallShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a Leupy 1.5-5x SPR on a 308 for while. Liked it quite a bit, but IMO, there was a bit too much fish-eye at 1.5 .

I liked it for what it was; but it didn't do anything really good. Just a general purpose kinda good.... </div></div>

Thanks. Was that the 30mm Leupy? Also, what reticle did it have?