• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Low pro gas block install

Tactical30

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2009
Eastern Ohio
I want to install a Low profile gas block on my AR-15 I am building (6.5 Grendel) and I dont want to use the regular site post. I had ordered a Sabre Defense 18" Fluted barrel that comes with the front sight post and i want to replace so i could fit a longer free float handgaurd on it ( 12" Daniel Defense M4 Rail) cuz the barrel has a mid-length gas setup. I see most of the gas blocks have set screws and the barrel does not have the divots for any set screws, now im no gunsmith and i was wondering how hard it was to put divots on a barrel w/o fuckin it up or im just going to purchase the Daniel Defense Low Profile gas block that supposed to fit under that rail and it clamps on. What is the best way to go? Im thinkin to buy the D.D. Low Pro gas block cuz i dont want to ruin a brand new barrel.

Re: Low pro gas block install

I don't think any type of divot or indention is necessary, especially with a good quality (machining tolerance) block such as D.D. I have low profile gas blocks on all of my AR's and have never had any problems. The notches in the original AR barrels we to prevent the tall front sight post from being easily knocked around during combat.

Rainier Arms sells a tool that you use in conjunction with a drill to properly dimple your barrel.

There are also several choices out there for low profile gas blocks that clamp on.

You could also cut down, grind and polish your original FSP.

When done properly it looks great.

I'm not a gunsmith either, but I recently did this with a Larue gas block on my 6920. I used the tool from rainer. It was a piece of cake. I probably didn't make the dimples deep enough, but its not going anywhere. Put some red loctite on the screws and let em cure and you should be good to go. When drilling the dimples just do a little and take a look. If it needs a little more, then drill a little more.