• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Low profile picatinny rail.

libertyman777

Are you gonna eat that....
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2007
Heflin, Alabama
I have a rifle with an M40a1 stock. I’d like to keep the glass mounted as low as possible. Here is the rail I’m considering > IOR 0 moa

This is mainly for aesthetics as I’ll still have to use a stock pad I think. My question is, am I making much ado about nothing? How much physically higher are the 20 minute rails?

My scope right now has 100 MOA of adjustment. It’s replacement will have 120. I’m primarily a hunter and target shooter but a PRS match a year is not out of the question.

The combined height of your rail and rings will be dictated the bell diameter of your scope. I wouldn't worry about having the lowest base possible when in reality the ring center will be miles above it relatively speaking. You will always be better off with the scope as low as possible unless a higher cheek weld gets in the way. Aesthetics are fun to talk about until they get in the way of the users ability to use the tool properly.

Reactions: libertyman777