• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Low Profile Scope Caps?

wakerider017

Private
Minuteman
Dec 27, 2010
FL, USA
I used some NF .885" rings on my new build with a NF 3.5-15X50. Barrel has an M40 contour.

Everything works great and the scope is what at first glance looks like 1/8" over the barrel at the end of the factory shade.

Only problem is my NF bikini cover doesn't fit over the objective... Also tried some butler creek caps (which I don't really care for) and they were a tad too fat as well...

I was thinking of cutting the lip of the NF bikini at the very bottom so it would slide on, but I'm not sure if that would destroy it or render it useless...

Thanks guys!

Re: Low Profile Scope Caps?

use butler creek caps and cut the bottom of the objective lens cover so it will fit

You can use a Leupold Alumina scope cap which will screw into your objective, the 50mm one apparently fits a NF. I do not know if the eyepiece cap is compatible.

The alumina caps are pricey, I have them on a Mark4 and they IMO the absolute best lens cap solution that I have ever used.

Here's a thread discussing this:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2266313#Post2266313

You might want to try a different Butler Creek cap of the same size. All the ones that I have put on have been nice and snug. Also, what action and base are you using? The .885 rings usually allow clearance on the M40 coutour barrels, at least in my experience.

I may just go with a scopecoat...

I can take a picture when I get home from work if that helps.

I wanted to use the bikini covers over butler creek anyway.. So I really don't want to play around with them too much..

Here are those pics I promised.

I trimmed and smoothed the Bikini cover with a grinder so it would clear the barrel. Looks pretty good in my opinion..

I think I'll stick with this solution for now.

photo1vd.jpg

photo2nlc.jpg

photo3uz.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heatseekins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I make mine fit by sanding the bottom of a butler creek cap. You could sand down the lip on the NF bikini cover. </div></div>

Yup, that is basically what I did with a dremel tool.

Thanks for the advice!