• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Low Recoil 308 loads, need help

hwtsauer

Private
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2008
Ca
I got my girl a Rem 700 SPS with the 20in barrel for Xmas. However she is recoil sensitive, so I was hoping to find data for a 168gr Amax that is low recoil, but that will stay supersonic to 1000yrds. And hopefully shoot well at that ditance.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Re: Low Recoil 308 loads, need help

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WhiskeySierra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got my girl a Rem 700 SPS with the 20in barrel for Xmas. However she is recoil sensitive, so I was hoping to find data for a 168gr Amax that is low recoil, but that will stay supersonic to 1000yrds. And hopefully shoot well at that ditance.
Can anyone point me in the right direction? </div></div>

It'd probably be more effective to start thinking about muzzle brakes.

Your priority with load should be accuracy. I wouldn't sacrifice that for better recoil, or else you're kind of defeating the purpose.

I think the return would be diminishing anyway.

Grats on the new rifle!

smile.gif

Low recoil is going to require a lighter bullet and less powder, so 1k is probably going to be out of the question.

Hodgdon used to have youth loads on their website, not sure if they are still there.

Im going to put it in a HS stock, and a break would be nice but dont have time before xmas. we are going to AZ for xmas and going to do some shooting the day after. Was hoping to find a load for one time use.

guess the break is the way to go.

Work up to it...

Start with a 300 yard load...using fast burning powder and 155 grain bullets...small powder charges of fast powder along with light bullets will reduce the recoil noticeably.

When she's comfy with that move on out to 600 yards... and up the load a touch.

Then go to 800 yards...if she gets accustomed to the recoil here, she is ready for the "full house" 1000 yard loads....you don't get to 1,000 yards with "low recoil" 308 loads...sorry, not being a smart ass, just stating a fact...it takes speed, which requires near or slightly over max loads with 168 grain bullets.

I have an SPS Tactical with the 20 inch barrel myself...my load is:
46 grains of Reloder 15 (or 45.5 grain of Varget) both very "warm" loads
Remington brass
CCI BR2 primer
168 Nosler Ballistic Tip
2.82 OAL

2,635 fps muzzle velocity...900 yards maybe, 1000 not quite.

All that said...the above posters are correct...adding weight and a brake will help.

Their advice and mine used together should make for a soft shooter out to at least 800 yards.

I shoot a TRG-22 with the factory muzzle break. Load 45.0 Varget behind a 168 AMAX at 2700 FPS...low recoil and 1/4 to 1/2" groups at 100 yds...but this is a heavy setup...does not recoil much.

i have a bad right shoulder that makes it hard for me to shoot my remmy for long periods.

first thing i bought for the gun was a new recoil pad(the stock is almost solid hard rubber) and a recoil pad that straps onto my shoulder.

my most accurate load only uses 41 grains of varget and 168 smk's

i have also been looking into a muzzle brake but i dont have the funds at the moment.

I have a LimbSavr 1" thick slip-on pad on my 12 F/TR rifle - more to extend the LOP than anything, but when I went from my 12 Palma rifle (almost no recoil pad) back to the 12 F/TR (which in all honesty weighs about 2# more) I thought I shot a squib! Musta been a 600yd squib, cuz the target went down
smile.gif

Any load that gets a 168 to 1k supersonic I think is going to be by definition *not* a reduced load. Granted the B168VLD (and possibly the 168AMax) are a little different story, but generally ".308 Winchester", "1000yds", and "reduced loads" are not terms you hear in the same sentence.

If you want some reduced loads just to get her out and shooting at 100-200yds, until you have time to put a brake and/or more effective recoil pad on the gun, try some of the 'youth' loads listed on Hodgdon's site... they use lighter bullets (125-135gr for .30 cal) and H4895. I loaded up some for my step-son so his hunting-weight M700 in .30-06 was a little more enjoyable to shoot... kicks somewhere between a .223 and a .243 with those loads (Speer 130gr TNT, 39.5gr H4895), but it does drop like a rock beyond 200yds (low 2200-2300fps range).

http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Youth%20Loads.pdf

HTH,

Monte

Another vote for the Limbsaver.

I have them on all my hunting arms (12ga 870 slug gun, .44Mag M94 Carbine, .30-'06 M70 featherweight), and even on my M700 VLS .223 (to add LOP). They reduce recoil to the point where confidence is restored and practice is not a chore.

Going for 1000yd with a .308, the proper approach is to use the 175SMK with an appropriate load, then work on reducing the <span style="font-style: italic">felt</span> recoil.

In addition to the Limbsaver, strategies which increase the working mass of the firearm make better sense than trying to wimp down the load. The .308 won't tolerate such tactics and still shoot well to 1000yd.

Using the Lead Sled (or something similar) approach has merit, and also has the advantage of allowing the mass to be gradually reduced, acclimating the shooter to recoil in small increments. Eventually, she'll benefit from that.

From working with youth, I also find that hearing protection makes a difference in perceived recoil; all that noise can also instill a flinch. Youngsters will react even to the noise of a .22. Muzzle brakes may help, but this is one area where they can be counterproductive unless really good hearing protection is employed.

Had a muzzle brake added to my hunting rifle,which is a H and H .375 Mag, and it reduced the recoil down to about 30-06 level,it produces a funny sound,Puuufffffbbbbb!!!,very different from the .300 WM brake,but it works!I stress the fact to my boys to shoot off hand,as most of the time,one will not have time to find or use a rest.I load my heavy wooden picnic table on the car trailer and head out to the boonies for a nice relaxing afternoon of" bench"shotting.At these times ,I use a bean bag and a rest for the forearm.Working up new loads or working on bragging rights!

If you're shooting 300 yards or less, have you considered going to a lighter bullet? I know Berger makes a 135.

You can modify a lot of different loads to get less recoil. Unfortunately you may have to change powders as well.

The first thing I'd do is get a suppressor. IT will eat up much of the recoil and noise. I'm a big believer that kids should be taught to shoot with cans in the beginning so they don't pick up bad habits from the recoil and blast.

Secondly, go to a lighter bullet and accept the limitations.

Third, put on a limsaver but pad

Fourth, make her shoot smaller calibers a lot to get her in the mode of ignoring the recoil.

Lastly, get a can

As previously said a brake will help a lot. For a short range oad the 125 Sierra with 748 shoots real well in a 308 with less recoil. It should also work well with a brake, but it is no 1000 yd. load.

Get a Mcmillan stock and ask for the "Bench" fill- Add an ST-10 scope onto it, a bipod, and you should be reducing your recoil intensely!!

(No disrepect to any aforementioned company)..

My rifle is godo on recoil, but heavy on carrying....

Maybe an extra pad on it too...?

Start with a light load out to 100 until she gets used to it, 42gr of Varget with a 155...

Buy a couple boxes of Remington's "managed recoil" ammo and let the girl have some fun...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PMPerformance</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buy a couple boxes of Remington's "managed recoil" ammo and let the girl have some fun... </div></div>

#1, Enjoy.

A limbsaver

Fill the butt of the stock with lead and epoxy mix to get the weight up.

Then possibly a should pad as well.

Should knock the recoil down quite a bit without having to wait for a gunsmith.

If you can find it, the Remington Managed Recoil stuff is not bad. I'm guessing the .308 version uses the same 125gr Core-Lokt and similarly reduced powder charge as the .30-'06 stuff I've used with considerable comfort and pleasure for practice shooting in my M70 Featherwight. Just recognize that this sort of light loads will not reliably cycle a semi. The loading will stay within 2" of the same POI as more conventional Remington Hunting loads at conservative distances; and as long as one does not ask too much of these loads with regard to distance and terminal performance, they can even be used as a mild hunting load. Trophy bucks at 250yd, maybe not, but a medium doe at 100-150yd, I think so.

I disassembled the load and substituted the same charge as I regularly use for my 150gr Garand loads, and it's very a flat and highly expansive load.

Greg

I would consider a brake but depending on your budget, I would also consider a suppressor. There is serious consideration that needs to be given to the noise of a brake. If she is recoil sensitive, the excessive noise will probably not help much either. I have seen several people that I think are muzzle blast or noise sensitize. I set and watch them flinch and jerk in anticipation of the blast.

Might also be a good chance for you to add one to the safe "but honey we need it for our daughter " : ). Than thread some other rifles and you can switch it around.

God Luck,
JamieD

P.S. If you consider a brake I would look at the Vais, less noise and side blast. Good job getting your daughter shooting, it's a priceless opportunity.

I had GAP install a FTE brake on a 308 and it made a big difference.

thanks for all the responses so far.
I put the limbsaver pad on for now, getting a break installed in a few weeks. And sticking with a hot load.
Also I think I should have mentioned that its for my girl friend, not daughter.

Way to bring back a 2 year old thread to spam the hide.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Way to bring back a 2 year old thread to spam the hide.</div></div>
Ha but cut em a break 1st post er WELCOME SAMDEL WELCOME

When my wife first started shooting a 308,I started off with Speers 110gr plinker,and worked up to our hunting load of 150 gr slowly.Install a good recoil pad,and maybe use a pact recoil sheild.The brake would work,but I would worry about the noise.A can would be nice,but was not in our budget at the time.Good Luck with your decision, Pete

have you already got the 308? Ever think of starting her out on a .223 bolt gun? Center fire rifle with minimal recoil and can reach out, maybe not to 1000, but she can get comfortable with it till she wants to move up.

This is experience talking, (many hobbies, 3 wives) if you want her to do range time with you then it is more important that she is going to the range with you and doing anything that she wants to do rather than to do something that you want her to do.

Just for posterity, Force = Mass X Velocity

So to reduce the force being transferred to the rifle, you have to reduce the mass of the bullet and the velocity at which it travels. Beyond that, and as mentioned above, you can mitigate the force being transferred to the shooter by making the rifle heavier, muzzle brake, etc.

Personally, I agree that a .223 is a better choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just for posterity, Force = Mass X Velocity

So to reduce the force being transferred to the rifle, you have to reduce the mass of the bullet and the velocity at which it travels. Beyond that, and as mentioned above, you can mitigate the force being transferred to the shooter by making the rifle heavier, muzzle brake, etc.

Personally, I agree that a .223 is a better choice.</div></div>

Force = 1/2mv^2,

momentum = mass x velocity

under your handle you have F = ma, which is correct, not velocity

Thanks for the correction. I should have been more clear.