• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lower back pains , any suggestions ??

rolin808

Private
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2011
Hawaii
Hey guys , looking for any suggestions to help lessen a lower back pain that's been bothering me , I was in a car accident that took me all of last year to recover and get back to work . They work that I do unfortunately is very demanding physically so it just keeps
Adding to the soreness. Looking for
Things that may have helped you, open to suggestions from diet to vitiamins whatever has helped

Thanks

Re: Lower back pains , any suggestions ??

I've had lower back issues after taking a slip on the ice with two PRC77's, 2 KY-57's and a host of other batteries etc in my ruck.

What has helped the most is the karate stances, took a bit of time and for 2 months I was in agony on the UPPER back as my back straightened out.
It's JUST A MILD STRETCH....but it works miracles (In time).

You don't need to know Karate to do this, and it WILL take time.
Zen Kutsu Dachi is the name of the stance (Zen Koot soo Dach-ee prononciation)

Put left foot pointing straight out, back right foot up 2-2.5-3 feet. Move it out 1-2 feet. (Like the moves a Rook in chess can make).
Left leg will bend, right leg LOCKS TIGHT. BACK STRAIGHT do not lean forward or backwards, sink into it.

Hold 30 seconds and do other side.

Do that 2 or 3 times on day one, and then 3 times a day after. I PROMISE you that you will feel it tomorrow...but it helps a LOT.

Proper diet and some fiber once in a while helps too...

Here's a link, notice the photo.

http://www.shotokai.com/ingles/techniques/zenkutsudachi.html

The secret in this is that it is really stretching the hambstring, which is attached to the back muscles basically and it will stretch and pull them gently - but it will help immensely.

200px-WalkingStance.gif

This is TRADITIONAL Shotokan - they do not put their feet out but American Shotokan does (For balance).

zenkunew.jpg

ac cu-puncture worked for me.

i have spinal bifida ( a minor case) but constant back pain ac cu-puncture worked.

it might be worth looking in to.

thank you
joe

I was in an auto accident a couple of years ago, so I can sympathize. The karate stances will actually help, they are a stretching exercise. See a physical therapist for some more stretches. I happen to have a live in massage therapist
grin.gif
my wife. If you can afford it, they REAALLLY help.

Thanks you for your quick responses and I'll definitely do the karate stance at this point surgery was the last option , but I did the spinal injections and it only made matters worse go figure

I had lower back pain from wearing a duty belt so I went out and got what I believe is called a roman chair. Basically it lets you do an upside down sit up. That worked well and after building up the muscles I no longer had pain from carrying 12 pounds of belt around at work... but since then I also found that just lying on the floor and then lifting my legs up and chest/head up at the same time while balancing on my abs had the same effect without the equipment.

Was looking into to it cause I heard that its really good for flexibility , yoga that is very good suggestions , I can't take medications cause I work in a high risk job and can't be impaired , so now I take alieve but it Only semi effective and very short term

Never carry your wallet in your back pocket. It throws your hips off when sitting.

There is a product called PHENOCANE in the health food stores. It works just like
Celebrex but is made from tumeric. If your pain is from swelling of the joints it will
help a lot. For 25.00 a bottle it's worth a shot. Takes about 45 minutes to take effect and if it works you will have no doubts. No known side effects.

What did the dr. say the cause of pain was from?
Pm me and I can give you a shitload of info.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VoodooKing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys , looking for any suggestions to help lessen a lower back pain that's been bothering me , I was in a car accident that took me all of last year to recover and get back to work . They work that I do unfortunately is very demanding physically so it just keeps
Adding to the soreness. Looking for
Things that may have helped you, open to suggestions from diet to vitiamins whatever has helped

Thanks </div></div>

There are already a bunch of good suggestions here, some of which I figure to try. That said, I have a couple more.

You might look into a Chiropractor if you haven’t already. Mine isn’t a hands on manipulation type, but rather, uses a tool called an Activator. And she’s been remarkably helpful/effective. If you need to find one in your AO go to www.activator.com

Also, she had me start taking Omega supplements, which help as well. And not just for the back, though they help keep it looser & less prone to spasms, etc. Or having it put me down for a few days. I take these/this product. https://www.innatechoice.com/viewproducts.cfm?&CFID=5036290&CFTOKEN=11034656
I use the Gel Caps for convenience sake, & their portability. A good product, worth the coin.

not sure how much help this would be, but i was suffering from pretty back low back pain about 2 years ago.

i am over it now, i found that stretching and increasing my mobilty helped

mine was more of an hip issue but that lead to low back pain, i drive 40min to and from work and sit at a desk for half the day, by stretching out the front of my hip i am a differenct person

like others said i would look at ways to stretch and increase your flexibilty, but might consult with a doc or chiro fist seeing as you had a car accident

also pick up some fish oil it did wonders for me

good luck in the recovery

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cumnzjarhead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was in an auto accident a couple of years ago, so I can sympathize. The karate stances will actually help, they are a stretching exercise. See a physical therapist for some more stretches. I happen to have a live in massage therapist
grin.gif
my wife. If you can afford it, they REAALLLY help. </div></div>

I've got two blown disks in my lower back in the Army and stretching is all that really works for me. Total lower body stretching is good, but focus on your hamstrings because they run up into your lower back. The more flexible my hamstrings are, the less often I have lower back flare-ups.

work on approaching your lower extremity's natural ROM, especially hamstrings and piriformis on each side. Also, work on cervical, spinal and lumbar strength, especially spinal multifidi/erectors. If you have access to MedX's medical grade lumbar extension, you will be amazed at what it can do. You are not likely to find the MedX equipment in bullshit gyms, e.g., LA Shitness, or its equivalent, Planet Shitness, Gold's (sic) gyms, but rather in advanced physical therapy/high intensity strength training studios. Doing the kind of work I've suggested is most safely done under and with the supervision of a PT/HIT instructor highly skilled in working those muscle/skeletal/joint systems.

traditional Pilates helped me. Lower back is what got me my medical from the Army. My wife is a Pilates instructor and we now own our own studio. After years of me thinking it wasnt really for me because I am a meat head and liked to pick up large amounts of iron for no reason.. My wife talked me into trying it. She cant fix whats medically wrong by any means, but what she does is makes sure everything is in proper alignment and my functional movement is where it needs to be. While strengthening all my core muscles to support my spine and hold it where it needs to be where I am in the least pain. Have also done acupuncture with electric stim. I would watch taking to much alieve, that was my fathers cure all and he landed himself in the hospital with a dangerously low sodium level, the docs blamed it on the alieve. Good luck getting better.

Pilates+Yoga = happiness.

Any good core exercise helps greatly with bad back. Also look to doing Romanian Deadlifts with VERY light weight for high, slow, controlled reps. It was a 'cure all' for my rugby club as part of the physio routine. Of course, that was the era of the 'magic sponge' as well....

good luck.

If you are reasonably certain that there is not a structural issue that needs repair in your back then some of the best things you can do is any exercises that strengthens your posterior chain muscles (back, glutes, hamstrings), any exercises that strengthen you core (simply squatting with a broom stick held directly overhead), and doing your best to maintain hamstring and hip flexor flexibility.

If you do some youtube searches for exercises such as single leg deadlifts, overhead squats, goat belly swing, and goblet squats. Some of my favorites.

I used to get lower back pain but as I started working out core more it went away. A strong core might help with some of the pain.

+1 for yoga and pilates. Really any kind of stretching will help over time. Sitting on one of those ab balls and leaning over forward and then leaning all the way back until the top of your head is resting on the floor seems to help me.

Hope this helped.

I just wanted to thank everyone whom has offered some really great suggestion that I'll definitely be following up on . Thanks again

stretch hamstrings

and gluts

I like chiropractic adjustments, I have been going for years, and have been to many different ones. They all seem to have different methods, so find one you like. But I think stretching has been the biggest help for my back problems. The first thing I did was to get all the crap off the back of my duty belt, and as previously mentioned, DON'T PUT YOUR WALLET IN YOUR BACK POCKET. Sitting on anything will screw up your posture and put undue/uneven pressure on joints and nerves.

The single best strech I have found is:
Get on your hands and knees. Cross you right foot over your left, so that your left knee is basically behind your right knee. Lower/press your body towards the ground. You WILL feel it in your glutes, hips, and lower back. Adjust the angle of your legs and body as needed, to get the stretch you need. Switch legs and repeat.

This can sort of be accomplished standing as well. Face a table, or something approximately waist height. put the outside of your right leg on top of whatever surface you have chosen. Your foot should be in front of, and across your body. Bend towards the surface you are using. Again, the angles can be changes to suit your needs.

I also highly reccomend streching your hamstrings AND your calves. I see lots of people stretch their hamstrings, but not their calves. I think it's a bit of a waste unless you do both.

Good luck.

Hello there. I too have suffered from back pain and surgeries in the past. I concur with the stretches for the hamstrings. In addition, I have found that <span style="font-weight: bold">Arnica</span>, in tablet and drops, helps immensely. It can be found at most health food stores. Perhaps the damage that has been done can be repaired I wish you all the best. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you will probably have some pain for the rest of your life. It can be managed to some degree. Regards, Badknees

As long as you have already had your back worked up by a qualified physician to make sure nothing bad is happening (bad things happening are rare) yoga and pilates have been shown to help back pain. No doubt you already have a good cardio program which has also been shown to help people cope with LBP better than people not on a cardio program. Smoking has been implicated as a big risk factor in low back pain. If possible a single iv shot of 30mg toradol works wonders for back pain from inflammation.

Broke my back on a Airborne Op. years ago. Keep weight down (I gain easily); hang-ups inversion table; and a sleep number bed - All worked wonders. Good Luck.

Stretch, stretch, and stretch again, invert table, lose weight, and work your core for strength.

Stretching and keeping your core strong are the keys to success. I recently purchased a Bosu Ball for core work and this has definately had a positive impact on my lower back struggles.
Alan

Stretching and core building. Laying down aggravates my back something fierce so if yo spend much time on the sofa you might try laying on the floor a bit and bringing your knee up toward your shoulder and holding it for 10 seconds or so. Worked for me this morning.

While stretching the hamstrings, doing yoga/pilates, etc. will help, you may have some lingering injury to your body that is causing these problems.

If you're having this back pain due to an injury, it may be in your best interest to look into getting some custom orthotics from some place like The Good Feet Store. I don't know what is available to you down in Hawaii, but it may help (I'm not a doctor; there, I said it).

Pilates and Chiropractic got me back running marathons and doing 90% of the things I used to do. Still some pain and limitations now and then but it beats surgery with questionable results and sometimes unintended side effects for two herniated disks.

A portable TENS (Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation) unit helps me out when I've agravated my back. A small battery powered unit with a couple of electrodes. You can wear it during the day and use it as necessary.

+1 on the tens unit. According to the wive - NP - they short circuit the electrical impulses in the muscles so they can loosen up. I have had a bad back for 6 yrs. and this has worked miracles for me. Work your abs as well. Hope this helps. Good luck. Paul.
smile.gif

www.boltfluting.com

I get lower back pain occasionally from going heavy at the gym and i have found two things help me most

1. Trip to a chiropractor (a good one! we have one in town that is expensive and terrible, and a cheaper guy that used to do the Olympic weight lifting team...point being try a couple if the one you go to doesn't help a lot.

2. Taking a steam or a really hot long shower to loosen the muscles up

also I find that branch chain amino acids help as well my favorite brand is scivation xtend but you could just go to the grocery store and get some leicine and glutamine and take 10gms or so a day

I've had back issues for years, to much improper lifting ordnance or something i think, but best strech that's always worked for me isi place the toes of my feet on a low curb, with heels on the ground so my feet are angled up, then slowly bend down to touch toes till I can start to feel it, then tuck my ching to chest and keep that up a few times a day for 15-30 seconds at a shot depending on the day. Use to do it a lot more when I smoked, but I've since quit smoking and usually do it when I take the dog out in the mornings for a couple min at a shot. Been doing me pretty good for a few years, might help.

An RN friend put me on to something called a foam roller. It's been just a notch under a miracle cure for me.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aOpnaplkmXU"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aOpnaplkmXU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

If you can't find one from a local orthopedist or pain clinic, they are available online.

Weight loss if that is an issue
Aerobic reconditioning which must be low impact
Core strengthening
Hamstring and psoas muscle stretches

this has been an interesting thread for me, I left the army with a messed up back and cronically hyper extended ACL. After months of stretching and exercise, im beginning to get to the point where I can exercise my whole body and make a meaningful attempt to get into a better condition.

I tore a muscle in my back and had two bulging discs and one herniated.
I can tell you I have gone through the gamut of nsaid medications and various supplements.
Through some research and talking with my physiotherapist and doctors i have learned:
beginning my day with some inversion helps greatly with my spinal alignment.
Glucosamine + Condroitin + MSM is good, a supplement that includes HLA or adding that to your supplements will help.
calcium citrate + vitamin D
I take a daily low dose of naproxen (because its effects are longer lasting) or ibuprofen.
On a bad day I have a prescription nsaid (etodolac) that makes a great difference and turns me from a cranky gimpy dick into my regular barely tolerable self.
a strong core is very important and building strong back and abdominal muscles (especially obliques) is helpful to provinding a good support structure for your spine.
These days it can be fairly affordable to have a chiropractor look at your back and take a couple of xrays. It can be very very informative.

Tight hammies pull on the glutes which pull on the lower back and on and on. Everything's connected. I find the ham stretch and the foam roller for the glutes really gets things loosened up.

I will second the foam roller along with stretching. I started working out again after a long layoff and quickly encountered low back pain along with something akin to sciatica. A co-worker badgered me into the foam roller and it provided immediate relief (not cure). I use it twice a day along with hamstring and hip stretches. Pain is almost gone after 2 weeks and no aspirin/NSAIDS. More work on the core and shedding my gut and I think I will be in good shape.

Where may these "foam rollers" be obtained from? What exactly are they called?

I bought mine from Amazon. There are several on the site. I bought "The Grid". It has an inner core of PVC or similar material. I figured it would hold up the best under my weight.

I stretch on the Leg Press at the Gym. Usually 6 plates as deep as my body will allow will stretch the lower back enough. I have spent enough time at the chiropractor to know what I can and can not get away with.

I've also had some relief using an inversion table. Just don't buy one and try to hang upside down.

I'm not going to discuss other responses here.

Lower back pains involve crucial components of the Central Nervous System.

I believe that folks who act as their own doctors in matters such as these may very well have fools for patients.

This is the appropriate place for professional diagnosis by Board Certified Medical Professionals, and adherance to their prescribed means of treatment and recovery.

Self diagnosis, self treatment, and self medication can have truly tragic consequences here, if not done properly. The Internet is not a sound source for medical advice in critical medical situations, and anything involving CNS conditions fits that description, IMHO.

Greg