• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Lower power, better glass, better view??

pcweidman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2012
Alabama
www.facebook.com
Question please.... In theory, or well in practice. Does a 20 power vortex razor at 4 less power than a pst offer better sight picture, chance at more accuracy, overall feel of being closer to the target at extended range than its pst 24 power brother? Does glass quality over power magnification or is there an 'x and y axis' here??

Less magnification, greater field of view.

In general, the higher the quality, the better: resolution, contrast, decreased Chromatic abberation, better coating etc, etc

Ideally, the Razor would have a preferable image across the entire magnification range. The PST may have a bit more mag, but it will be useless if you end up dialing down because of an unusable image.

Now before anyone decide to keel-hual me, these are general statements. I did have an HS (4-16) and it was a great scope for the money (similar if not the same glass as the PST). I always found myself dialing back because of the lack of contrast at higher mags. After I got my NF, there was no way I could go back.

Not that I dont have any other mid range scopes, as a good old Leupy VX3 does great on a hunting rifle. Just for long range, you have to see what you are shooting at.

Last edited:
I'm still learning but have been impressed at how the clarity and resolution of good glass at a modest 10x or 12x is more useful than higher magnification with less resolution. I have specifically not been impressed by the Viper PST 4-16x and 2.5-10x44 (older SFP) models. (However, the newer 2.5-10x32mm FFP PST has terrific glass.)

If the cost was in reach I think the Razor at 20x would be better than the PST at 24x in nearly all conditions. Under ideal bright daytime conditions on a range without any mirage it might not matter much. FWIW, the Sightron SIII 6-24x50 has excellent glass quality in the same price range as the PST - you are just giving up illumination. (There is a new FFP model of the SIII which is $1015 at Midway, compared to $950 for the FFP PST.)

I can see fine targets better with my 1-4x Razor HD than I can with a bushnell elite 3200 on 9x. Granted, these are in totally different classes and the bushy is on a .22, but it makes the point that glass quality beets magnification. That said, I have yet to find something within my abilities that I can't engage with a PST due to lack of quality in the glass.