• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing lower receiver vise block?

Kinsman09

Private
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2010
Mt
I would like to borrow a .308 LR (AR) lower STYLE RECEIVER VISE BLOCK. I want to change my stock and all sources are on back order besides, who wants to spend the money for one if I’m only going to use it one time:) I’m in Billings MT. please PM me if someone can do this for me.
Thanks lots!

Re: lower receiver vise block?

I've never done it but I once saw a you tube video where the guy covered a PMAG in duct tape and placed one end of the mag in a normal vise and the other in the magwell. Worked like a charm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nsgy22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've never done it but I once saw a you tube video where the guy covered a PMAG in duct tape and placed one end of the mag in a normal vise and the other in the magwell. Worked like a charm. </div></div>

Or if you want to really stay on the cheap side, just modify a piece of lumber. There are much cheaper alternatives for the lower block. Now the upper, not so much.

Here is some scrap wood I bolted together a few years ago to assemble a few ARs - hasn't failed me yet and only cost about $0.00 in junk I had laying around and 10 minutes of time.

20130107_203604_zpsf369c52c.jpg

Use some strong wood. I had to torque one to 90lbs to line up the gas tube. Much more than a 223.

If you are just changing the stock you shouldn't "need" a vice block. It'll make things easier but is not required.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brian</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Use some strong wood. I had to torque one to 90lbs to line up the gas tube. Much more than a 223. </div></div>

You really need a real vise block for your upper assembly, trying to put a block in your magwell and pin the upper to the lower before torquing your barrel nut is a bad idea.

Changing your stock on the lower is a different story, this style of lower vise block is really nothing more than a 3rd hand.

Speaking of third hand, a lot of times I just put it between my legs and hold it that way, sort of angled out. If your wrench fits well and you can hold it tight enough to "break" it, then you are good to go. Another way, though I haven't tried it, is to fix the wrench, maybe in the vice, and then turn the lower receiver and not the wrench to loosen it.

If you use the magazine, make sure it isn't one you plan on using again, and it may work out better to use a metal one. If the vice doesn't damage it, wrenching the receiver around it may. Otherwise, whittle down a piece of wood and use that --many ways to go about making that.

Whatever you do, do not ever use the mag well to torque barrels, flash hiders, or anything barrel related such as rail system nuts or barrel nuts that go with them. ESPECIALLY to 90lbs!!! Do that with a regular AR, and you'll likely damage the rifle in more ways than one. There are ways to get the barrel on without damaging the weapon and without the upper receiver block, but they are neither easy or wise.