• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lower Vertical Adjustment limit reached... Is the problem scope, rings or base?

SgtRock18Z

Private
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2023
Ohio, USA
I need a little help please.
I have a Springfield Armory M1A with National Match barrel mounted in an Archangel stock. The scope mount is a Springfield Armory Gen 1 with a Leupold 8.5x25 LRP scope. I have shot the weapon with other Leupold scopes without problems. With this scope I am about 3 mils high at 100 yards. Sadly I have reached the low limit vertical stop in the scope (scope zero stop not set). The scope mount was a Warne 1 piece. I thought it might have been a 20 MOA so I installed a Weaver medium scope mount. It was no help. I have ordered low profile scope mounts but my math says it lowers the scope only 0.125 inches. I would like to keep the Springfield Armory picatinny mount if possible but would go with a lower scope mount if necessary.

I will appreciate any suggestions !!!

If you have a small mirror, place it flat against the objective and dial the elevation till the both the actual and mirrored reticle line up. That will optically center your optic. Then lookup the specs on that scope and be sure you have half the total range down.

You can also take the scope off the gun and use any mirror.

Elevation Adjustment Range MOA =80
Elevation Adjustment Range Mils = 23
Elevation Adjustment Value per click = 0.1 Mils
I'll check with the mirror for mid point later tonight.
Thanks for the suggestion.

I had a chance to go yesterday and put it on at 25yards. The eye relief and cheek weld was much much better with the low profile mounts. Then I zeroed at 100 yards. End result is that I have some additional down vertical adjustment remaining. I feel ok with that because there will likely be no change to the ammo I use (M118LR) or scope.

I think the Springfield mount is high because it allows for using the peep sight with the scope mounted. That may contribute to the original problem. Also I have found other mounts that are lower not allowing use of the peep sight.

However if I do change the Leupold for a better scope to do long range shooting, you all have helped and I understand a bit better. Thanks for all the comments.

Reactions: stanley_white
The scope vertical adjustment is 80 MOA or 23 Mils.
The scope is standard. I have other Leupold LRP scopes and have not encountered this problem.
I am beginning to think it is the base but I don't want to change scopes and rings to prove or disprove my theory.