• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Lowest usable magnification?

fusiachi

PFC Snuffy
Minuteman
May 12, 2008
South of Expected
I start seeing my barrel in the lower portion of my field of view at roughly 5X on my 3.5 X 15 scope. It's nowhere near the crosshairs even at 3.5X. Just curious to know if others who've encountered this just avoid the lower magnifications, have learned to live with it, or have actually used a higher mount to avoid it altogether.

Re: Lowest usable magnification?

some cheap scopes try to minick same poa/poi though out the entire power settings.......there are many tears in the ninja community.

Actually I'm talking about a NXS F1. Were you born a tool or didja have to go to school for that?

If it doesn't get in the way of the reticle center then I wouldn't worry about it. Just know it's there and rock on.

I've got a 3.5-15X50 NF mounted on my LTR and can't see the barrel through the scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fusiachi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually I'm talking about a NXS F1. Were you born a tool or didja have to go to school for that? </div></div>

eek.gif

You could raise the scope up higher by putting it on some taller rings.

As you adjust the scope elevation for shots further away, it points further down. Since it points further down, you have to raise the scope (and rifle) up to make the target center on the cross hairs. This compensates for the larger amount of bullet drop fro a far away target. If you are seeing the barrel, raising the scope up allows it to point further down without its sight line intersecting the barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sniperaviator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You could raise the scope up higher by putting it on some taller rings.

As you adjust the scope elevation for shots further away, it points further down. Since it points further down, you have to raise the scope (and rifle) up to make the target center on the cross hairs. This compensates for the larger amount of bullet drop fro a far away target. If you are seeing the barrel, raising the scope up allows it to point further down without its sight line intersecting the barrel.</div></div>

HUH... the scope doesn't point further down... if the scope is mounted in fixed rings vs an old school exteranl adjust set up that is

The external part of the scope doesn't move, but the internal tube inside the scope moves up and down as you adjust the elevation. One of the internal tube's limits on how far down it can point is when it is pointing at the barrel. Usually it hits the stops on the how far down the tube can move first. But if it points at the barrel before it hits the stops, then the barrel interferes with the sight picture in the scope.

As the scope is pointed further down due to elevation adjustment, you have to lift the scope (and rifle) up so the target is centered on the crosshairs. This raises the barrel of the rifle so it is aimed at an angle above the target. All this to compensate for the bullet drop over distance, so the bullet hits the target.

And to think that all this time I thought it was the genie who lived inside that did all that (LOL).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it doesn't get in the way of the reticle center then I wouldn't worry about it. Just know it's there and rock on.</div></div>

Thanks, Rob. I figured as much but experience has taught me to calibrate what I think is right with what others more experienced know is right. The rifle fits me nicely as is so I'd be reluctant to change the ring height without a real good reason to do so.