• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes LPVO for AR15 in 223 Wylde w/16" Criterion 1:8

Bdsankey

Private
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2020
Wisconsin
I am looking for recommendations for an optic for my new AR15 build. I plan to use this thing as a sporting rifle and if the proverbial "poop hits the fan" scenario. I've got a H&K VP9 and Mossberg 12ga for home defense so this would not be my go to.

Rifle Build Specifics: Aero M4E1 receiver set, Lantac enhanced BCG in NiB, 16" chrome-lined Criterion hybrid contour barrel (1:8), HuDu brake, Elftman pro match trigger, Superlative Arms adjustable gas block, JP captured buffer.

Platform: AR15 Semi-Auto
Cartridge: .223/5.56
Intended Use: Sport shooting potential whitetail hunting (targets, steel etc)
Conditions: Daylight and transitional periods
Typical Distances: 0-600yds
Specifics: Good reticle for "red dot" type usage and daylight bright, 1-6 or greater (preferably 1-8 or 1-10) magnification preferred
Price Ranges: Ideally under $1500 shelf/street price

I have been considering a Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 1-6 SFP, Trijicon Credo 1-8 FFP, and Riton Optics X7 Tactix 1-8 FFP. Right now the Riton is leading. I would love a Nightforce NX8 1-8 or Razor Gen 3 1-10 but I don't think I can swing them financially at this moment in time. I had a NXS 3.5-15x50 on my AR10 and loved the clarity but felt the eye-box was very tight compared to some other optics.

If you can find it in stock. It’s badass.

This is their less robust model not made in Japan like the PLx line. Good reticle though and glass is pretty good.

I am looking for recommendations for an optic for my new AR15 build. I plan to use this thing as a sporting rifle and if the proverbial "poop hits the fan" scenario. I've got a H&K VP9 and Mossberg 12ga for home defense so this would not be my go to.

Rifle Build Specifics: Aero M4E1 receiver set, Lantac enhanced BCG in NiB, 16" chrome-lined Criterion hybrid contour barrel (1:8), HuDu brake, Elftman pro match trigger, Superlative Arms adjustable gas block, JP captured buffer.

Specifics: Good reticle for "red dot" type usage and daylight bright, 1-6 or greater (preferably 1-8 or 1-10) magnification preferred

I have been considering a Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 1-6 SFP, Trijicon Credo 1-8 FFP, and Riton Optics X7 Tactix 1-8 FFP. Right now the Riton is leading. I would love a Nightforce NX8 1-8 or Razor Gen 3 1-10 but I don't think I can swing them financially at this moment in time. I had a NXS 3.5-15x50 on my AR10 and loved the clarity but felt the eye-box was very tight compared to some other optics.
If your budget is $1500, look no further than the Votex Razor IIe 1-6. Circa $1350.

Love the Vortex Gen-2E 1x6 it is an outstanding scope and can be had at a good price for what your getting.

Reactions: SepticDeath
If your budget is $1500, look no further than the Votex Razor IIe 1-6. Circa $1350.
Love the Vortex Gen-2E 1x6 it is an outstanding scope and can be had at a good price for what your getting.

Is it worth reaching/stretching myself for a gen 3 1-10 or is the extra 4x not worth it in everyone's opinion for my usage?

I am definitely 100% behind the "buy once cry once" method, all within reason. With that, who makes a good mount that's worth pairing with it? I haven't really spared any expenses yet so why start now I guess.

Only you can decide if the extra 4x is worth it. As a good fast all around optic 1-6 is a proven mag range.

1-10 is the new hotness at least until...

E2A262E6-3E77-4315-B4D7-2F79D11CED33.jpeg

So gen 2e it is. I have no desire with this firearm to try and run longer than say 600yd. The local range I thing tops out around 550-600yd so can't even use more than that if I chose to.

Reactions: SepticDeath
The 1x6 is a beast. Give Liberty Optics a call. Hard to beat their Vortex prices.

Attachments

• 20200902_195834.jpg
    20200902_195834.jpg
    461.8 KB · Views: 2,007
  • 20200901_171016.jpg
    20200901_171016.jpg
    341.1 KB · Views: 131
If you plan on sitting at a bench trying to shoot groups with your 1-6 then you’ll be disappointed.

if you want something to engage steel sized targets quickly from 1-600 in more dynamic circumstances then 6x is plenty top end.

If you plan on sitting at a bench trying to shoot groups with your 1-6 then you’ll be disappointed.

if you want something to engage steel sized targets quickly from 1-600 in more dynamic circumstances then 6x is plenty top end.

Id like to shoot groups at 200-300.

IMO you’ll be disappointed in an LPVO. I was the first time I bought one years ago because I was trying to shoot groups with it.

Once I realized what they are good at I absolutely love them. You may be better off getting a scope with a canted red dot for close engagements if needed.

Well said. Optic isn't designed for precision shooting. It's designed for speed and putting rounds on target fast.

Reactions: Jsp556
Well said. Optic isn't designed for precision shooting. It's designed for speed and putting rounds on target fast.

I don't see 200-300 being an issue with 10x mag if I get a gen 3. I've got a friend who supposedly gets a sizeable discount on Vortex products so it makes the Gen 3 just about into my price range.

With that, I asked here because the members of this board know much much more than I do. If the consensus is that 1-10 won't do what I want then I'll get something larger in mag.

^^^this
Sounds like you’re more interested in precision and less in what an LVPO is intended for. Maybe a 3-15, 3-18, 4-16 is better suited. 3x still has a pretty wide FOV for quick engagement if need be...which frankly will likely not be your need in reality with other home defense you mentioned.

Well just had to change barrels. Criterion told me a November ship date when I ordered on 11/09/2020. Just called and was now told Feb 2021. I asked why they told me November 3 times (before order, time of order, after order when I got a tracking number) and they said "that's what it is". When I questioned why it kept changing the guy on the phone got rude and said "well then I will cancel your order right now and refund you, have a nice day" then hung up.

Guess supporting a local business (1.5hrs away) is not a good enough reason to be a reasonable human on the phone. Just ordered a BCM 16"stainless barrel as they indicated it was in stock.

EDIT - Ended up ordering a Noveske 16" CHF chrome lined with mid gas.

Last edited:
The first time I ever engaged a sounder of smaller hogs with an LPVO it was an eye opener. I quickly found after my opening shot that anything over about 4x at 50-100 yard runners is sub-optimal. A quick grab at the magnification ring and I was back in business enough to pick up three more before they made it to cover.

If you're trying to wring out sub-MOA groups, then 8x is more than adequate, but you will be leaving performance on the table so to speak as an optic with double that magnification is certainly going to cut your group size down.

I agree with the previous posts stating that if you're more interested in accuracy, that an optic with more magnification is the way to go. I suggest picking a primary intended purpose for the rifle and utilizing an optic best suited for that. Make the compromises around the second or third possibility of use (which will likely only make up a single digit percentage of actual use).

I think I will go to something in the 3-15 or similar range and put a canted dot on it if needed (very unlikey as a 12ga is by far superior in home defense).

I like to plan for a SHTF (sh*t hits the fan) scenario. While I understand unlikey and paranoid, I like to be prepared. I do think a 1-10 may not be ideal for that usage but it also I feel is a great compromise of various optics mag levels. I liked my NF NXS other than the eyebox and may just go down that road (like a razor gen 2 3-18?).

What would be a good optic in that $1500 shelf price range (give or take a few) that would be recommend in the ~3 to ~15-20 range then?

The SWFA 1-6 HD is outstanding. The best designed FFP LPVO reticle I have seen. The ring is a great CQB reticle at 1x but completely disappears from the FOV at 6x. The center portion works great for long range shots. Glass is very good and mine tracks perfectly. Highly recommend them.

John