• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Lpvo which optics out of 1-4 vs 1-6?

lkluemper00

Private
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2017
Mayfield, ky
I was wondering which route I should go and was wanting some input from the snipershide community. I recently bought a zeiss 1-4 v4 optic. It's beautiful and bought it for $500. I'm thinking of either grabbing another optic in this zoom range. I have a steiner p4xi that's backordered and not suppose to ship for another 2 months. So I was thinking of either purchasing another zeiss at same price point or a vortex viper pst gen 2 1-6 at $500 as well. Which optic should I go with? Thanks. I wanted to compare the glass between the steiner and zeiss but I'm unable too. And I've never been able to check out the pst gen 2 glass. Thanks for everyone's input

A optic that's fast 1x and feels like a red dot. But has enough zoom to be accurate using 308 to 600 yards and in. Does the zeiss have better glass clarity then the vortex that the zoom isn't worth losing clarity? Noone has posted anything about the zeiss.

In its price range, you can never go wrong with the Steiner P4X 1-4x. I think Steiner is my favorite in the 1-4x. Steiner does NOT make a bad scope. Then, the Trijicon ACOG is great at fixed power 4x.

That said, most leading glass companies are producing 1-6x and 1-8x and knocking it out of the part. For example, the Nightforce 1-4x is one of the worst NF scopes out there. It is just not ready for prime time. But, the NF 1-8x scopes are some of the best in the business. Now, you cannot compare a $550 Steiner 1-4x with what NF has in 1-8x or Vortex Razor in 1-6x. The Vortex PST-II is a good seller in 1-6x, and you should consider it. Also, lesser known brands, like Primary Arms are doing amazing work in 1-6x and 1-8x.

Reactions: lkluemper00
I only saw the V4 briefly, so I do not have enough mileage with it. I was pretty dissappointed with most re-designed Zeiss products I saw in the last 3-4 years so I practically stopped looking at them. If they got their act together again, I should probably re-visit them.

PST Gen 2 is a very respectable scope, but the illumination is not super bright on 1x. Very decent, but not super bright. I am not sure where you found it for $500. That is a good deal.

Generally, if you require super bright illumination on 1x for $500, your best bet is to stay with the 1-4x. For brighter illumination in a 1-6x or 1-8x, you have to pay more. The brightest illumination i have seen to date in this price range is the Steiner that you have on backorder.

A brief web search suggests that there are a few places out there who have it in stock.

Personally, in the sub-$1k market. Hawke Frontier 1-6x24 is rapidly becoming on of my favourite designs. Basically, the way my LPVO recommendaitons have been going lately, seems to go like this in order of increasing price:

Burrist RT-6 1-6x24 SFP
Hawke Frontier 1-6x24 SFP
Burris XTR II 1-8x24 FFP

None of these are nuclear bright at 1x, but work well since the reticles are well designed. For application where people want SFP and really bright dot on 1x, I have had good luck with Steiner P4Xi 1-4x24, Vortex Razor Gen 2(E) 1-6x24 and Meopta Meostar R2 1-6x24.

ILya

The Burris RT6 is a fantastic scope. It's definitely punching above it's weight class.

If your budget is $500 or less, that's a great route to go.

Just got my rt6 in this morning after lots of positive reviews saying its the best in its affordable class.
Its really nice, only thing is that I heard it doesnt fisheye at 1x like the strike eagles do but it seems to fish eye just as much in looking around my office/out the window this morning, so thats a bit of a let down but oh well, its not a red dot after all.
Overall it seems nice though, definitely looks sharper to my eye than both my cousins 1-6 & 8 strike eagles.

I have 500 budget. But mainly focusing on company I can get good prices on. It's either
Steiner, zeiss, eotech, vortex. Eotech has a 1-6 but it's in 800 price range. And out of my price range. So basically should I get another v4 zeiss or vortex pst gen 2 1-6 both at 500 price point. Is zeiss glass a much clearer glass compared to this model vortex? I'm leaving the steiner on backorder. But may as well purchase a few of these at this price point while I can.
Probably leaning towards vortex to see how it looks compared to zeiss since I already own one. May be couple months before I could compare the zeiss and steiner. Thanks for all the info you guys are giving me! Appreciate the input

SWFA has a 1-6 that can be had around $500 as well. Not sure how it compares to the others.

I only saw the V4 briefly, so I do not have enough mileage with it. I was pretty dissappointed with most re-designed Zeiss products I saw in the last 3-4 years so I practically stopped looking at them. If they got their act together again, I should probably re-visit them.

PST Gen 2 is a very respectable scope, but the illumination is not super bright on 1x. Very decent, but not super bright. I am not sure where you found it for $500. That is a good deal.

Generally, if you require super bright illumination on 1x for $500, your best bet is to stay with the 1-4x. For brighter illumination in a 1-6x or 1-8x, you have to pay more. The brightest illumination i have seen to date in this price range is the Steiner that you have on backorder.

A brief web search suggests that there are a few places out there who have it in stock.

Personally, in the sub-$1k market. Hawke Frontier 1-6x24 is rapidly becoming on of my favourite designs. Basically, the way my LPVO recommendaitons have been going lately, seems to go like this in order of increasing price:

Burrist RT-6 1-6x24 SFP
Hawke Frontier 1-6x24 SFP
Burris XTR II 1-8x24 FFP

None of these are nuclear bright at 1x, but work well since the reticles are well designed. For application where people want SFP and really bright dot on 1x, I have had good luck with Steiner P4Xi 1-4x24, Vortex Razor Gen 2(E) 1-6x24 and Meopta Meostar R2 1-6x24.

ILya

Have you done a review on the Hawke?

I do not think I published it yet, but I have been done with it for a while and have started talking about it.

This is easily the best low range variable I have seen come out of China and the reticle Hawke designed is the best I have seen yet in a scope of this type (IMO, of course).

To do noticably better with a SFP 1-6x, you pretty have to step up to something like Gen 2 Razor or Meostar R2.

ILya

Reactions: Mwalex
I can shoot the hell out of things at 1,000 with a 4x Nightforce.

6x is handy, but not a requirement, unless target ID is of concern for the same optic.

-Nate

I have a NF 1-4 and I personally love it. The reticle design for me is so darn fast. It draws your eye to it like a magnet. Plus, it does not matter at all that it is not daylight bright with the reticle. I have been a firerams instructor since the mid 90's and have been to so many damn firerms training classes and instructor schools and shot all my career (alot!) and honestly the daylight thing does not seem to slow me down in the slightest bit. I have done drills with the 1-4 NF with no ill. even turned on in many different scenarios and it is lighting fast as the Aimpoint. Just my thoughts on it. I am leaning towards the MK6 on my next one because I like the reticle the best or the Kahles 1-6. Only because that rifle will fill a different role.

Just got my rt6 in this morning after lots of positive reviews saying its the best in its affordable class.
Its really nice, only thing is that I heard it doesnt fisheye at 1x like the strike eagles do but it seems to fish eye just as much in looking around my office/out the window this morning, so thats a bit of a let down but oh well, its not a red dot after all.
Overall it seems nice though, definitely looks sharper to my eye than both my cousins 1-6 & 8 strike eagles.

It may be as Ilya pointed out that it just needs a little tweaking on the ocular ring.

I've looked through a handful of them now and I haven't seen any distortation on 1x. And I do look for it.

My shooting partner just got one for his 3 gun rifle, and it looks fantastic. It's definitely an improvement over the Strike Eagle's.

I have a NF 1-4 and I personally love it. The reticle design for me is so darn fast. It draws your eye to it like a magnet. Plus, it does not matter at all that it is not daylight bright with the reticle. I have been a firerams instructor since the mid 90's and have been to so many damn firerms training classes and instructor schools and shot all my career (alot!) and honestly the daylight thing does not seem to slow me down in the slightest bit. I have done drills with the 1-4 NF with no ill. even turned on in many different scenarios and it is lighting fast as the Aimpoint. Just my thoughts on it. I am leaning towards the MK6 on my next one because I like the reticle the best or the Kahles 1-6. Only because that rifle will fill a different role.
I think someone like you would love the k16i. I don't mean to shill, but it has the best 1x, fov, and weight (or lack of). It's my favorite lpvo. Second is the tr24r

Steve, Yeh I think my next one will be the Kahles. I can get them for a decent price too.