• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship LR-260 Shoots High - Need Help

CPRifle

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
May 11, 2010
Colorado
www.cprifle.com
The problem:
When I shoot a competition, my shots almost always go high, sometimes by 1-2 MOA. At my practice range, my shots match my dope. Zero is checked at the match, velocity chrono'd previously, dope is by DA.

Background / Setup:
I'm shooting an 24" DPMS LR-260, 2-stage trigger, comb riser, bipod, rear bag, NF 3.5-15 scope, badger rings, badger rail riser. I handload/reload 142 SMKs, 39.0gr H-4350, LC necked down brass, BR2 primers, 2.800" OAL, which chrono around 2580 (average).

I always shoot prone (except when chrono'ing).

I shoot MOA or smaller groups consistently on paper, average around 3/4 MOA.

The only differences I can think of from practicing to competions are:
1) Stress
2) Bipod loading - I can't always load my bipod as well at the competitions without it sliding forward.
3) Head & shooting position - The ground isn't always flat at the competitions (natural terrain) which differs from the flat practice range.

If I run my dope around 2700fps, the resulting POI is much closer. My chrono (Chrony) had been compared to a Oehler and provided consistent readings in the past. So it's hard for me to believe the chrono is reporing 120fps slow.

Also, after zeroing, I tried the dot drill last week, and nearly every shot was about 1/4-1/2" high at 100 yards. That still doesn't explain my data be up to 1.5 MOA off at 900 yards.

Any thoughts? Are the above differences enough to cause high misses? At the last match, I didn't miss a single target low. I kept bringing my elevation dope lower and lower (by up to 1.5 MOA), and would either hit or miss high.

Re: LR-260 Shoots High - Need Help

My LR-260 consistently threw the last round in the magazine 1 MOA high when it would lock back. If I was single loading it without a mag in there, there was no zero shift.

Where are you getting the BC data for the bullet from and what BC model are you using for the input?

Are you tracking the Pressure or DA as you shoot? 1.5 MOA at 900yd is easily attainable through improper atmospheric property tracking (or none at all).

For the time being I'm going to assume it isn't shooter error until we've exhausted the other ones, as those are the easiest to address. It can quite possibly be stress induced results from the match conditions.

Have you verified at 900yd during practice, without any stress, that the dope is off? The bullet drops appx. 300" during 1000yd flight, 13.5" at 900yd is a small error to track and can easily be induced through improper application of BC and/or density altitude.

I practice out to 600 yards. I use G7 coefficients and Litz's data for the BC (.301). I'll take a DA reading at the begining of a match and choose a card/DA based on how the day looks. I'll load 6-10 rounds in a mag depending on the number of targets. One shot on each. Surprisingly, I usually hit the last target, and yes the BCG locks back.

If you load the bipod, then sometimes don't load it, it will throw you off your natural POI, mainly high or low. This is why I don't load the bipod up. Many times you can not get a good bipod load, or the surface you are shooting on does not allow you to load it up. So, I always shoot with the bipod un-loaded. Next thing would be your breathing cycle.

Or a scope shadow you don't see under stress because you have a very slightly different head position.