• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LR .308 loads with a hunting bullet?

Multi-Tool

Private
Minuteman
Aug 8, 2013
Most of my reloading has been for accuracy, but I want to work up a load that accurate at long range, but also is useful for deer hunting at shorter distances. I’m using a 24” early Rem 5R. I look forward to hearing your insights.

Thanks!

I'm in the process of working up a load for my 18" Criterion barrel with IMR4895 and 165gr Hornady Soft Points in LC brass. I'll post info after this weekends round of testing.

what do you consider long range and what type of accuracy are you looking for

what game are you hunting and at what average distance

Reactions: OG10
Accuracy desired is subminute at 1000 yards. Game is whitetail deer. I want a load that is humanely capable at 300 yards.

Your R5 should shoot the 175 SMK lights out. With that said, if you move to a hunting bullet AND you want reasonable accuracy ( within say 400 yds or less,) the 178 ELDX is a good choice. If your R5 is anything like mine, then 43.3 gr of Varget @ 2.805 COAL should work well for you.

Reactions: Baron23
178 ELDX is what you seek

I run it in 4 308 rifles
I run 200 ELDX in my 300 WM

It will serve you well

Reactions: Baron23
I have looked for 178 ELD-X bullets, but they are OOS everywhere I’ve looked.

Any expanding round in even short barreled .308’s is ethical on whitetail at 300 yards. Out of a 24” on whitetail you might even justify OTM rounds pretty easily. That’s a super easy kill at that range. I plan to go up to Elk at 400 with a 22” .308, but with dedicated hunting rounds.

See what she likes from all the excellent advice above. I love the Berger Hybrids and have never looked back. Goal #1 is a lot harder than goal #2. Almost any modern 30 cal hunting bullet can kill a whitetail at 300 with proper shot placement. 1 MOA at 999 yards is another thing....

Ive had good results with the 165gr nosler accubond at a little over 500 on game but dont know if its 1000 yd capable. I had a hard time getting the berger 175s to shoot. The 175 smk shot better out of my rifle at ranges beyond 500 but have never taken game with it

I have terrific results with the 165gr Nosler BT in my old first gen FN SPR. My first five rounds went into .419" at 100 yards. I never even bothered with load development further. Took a nice buck with it last year too.

I'd say that you'd have to do minimal tweaking to the NBT to get it to shoot like factory 168gr FGMM in most cases.

Like others have said, I've had good luck with Hornady 178's. I also like Berger bullets but have not shot medium size game with them yet.