• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LR class, Feb 6, Bass Pro Shops, E. TN

TresMon

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2007
NW USA
Long Range Shooting Class
Sunday Feb.6 2011, 9AM - (plan on being most/ all day)
Bass Pro Shops conference room, Sevierville, TN
$85 (preregistration) $100@ the door

Topics:
Overview-
Mil & Moa
All associated math

Exterior Ballistics:
Line of sight
Line of Departure
Trajectory
Air Density:
What effects it, how and how it effects trajectory
Density Altitude
Standard Day
Inclined fire

Ranging:
Reticle ranging &
All associated math
Others means & tips

Wind:
Speed determination
Determining value
Associated cosine
Constants
Mirage

Range Card:
Producing your own
Typical lay-out & themes
Various information
Manipulating results
Interpolating information

Moving targets/ Movers
Typical target speeds
Common ways of leading
Math associated w/ Movers
Cosines of direction

Scopes:
Types & Magnification
Reticle style
Turret/click values
Calibrating the reticle
Measuring the actual click value
Reticle subtends
Testing the tracking
Torque specs for mounts
Lapping rings
All associated reticle:turret math
Focusing & eliminating parallax
Correcting Vs. Holding

Data Book:
Usage & value

Various tips tricks & more.

Everything will be covered to put you ahead of the curve for going out and gaining positive, solid LONG range shooting experience.

We'll break & disperse for lunch. (The store has a nice restaurant, and other in the immediate vicinity.) Bring notebooks, writing utensils, and calculators. Be ready for math, math & more math.

PM for registration info.

Re: LR class, Feb 6, Bass Pro Shops, E. TN

Training reference available...

will you have these classes again? perhaps in june or july?
i'll be in tennessee at that time and would be able to attend
at that time. T.

There's potential to have these classes about anywhere. I have guys on another forum wanting me to teach it in Nashville really bad.

Atlanta & Birmingham are on the radar for next/soon classes.

So long as their are enough students, I'll go to any feasible location.

Feb.2 is the last day for preregistration.
4 spots left.

TresMon, please send the info for the Birmingham class when you have a date. I would be interested in the one on the 6th but Hardrock is the same weekend. Too much driving distance for both. lol If I need to send you my info please PM me at your earliest convenience. Thanks Tommy

Bondos, others;

I'm willing to bring this class to about any locale so long as their is sufficient interest for it to be decently profitable in regard to the travel cost.

If you like do a little leg/phone work and see if you think we could get 10 students in your area. If so we'll find a place to have the class & i'll come out.

PM me with your findings.

Thanks!

Class is tomorrow!

Crap. I knew I should have paid more attention. I was thinking this was going to be on the 26th. Blah.

I hope the show was a success.

Cheers

I'm currently working out the logistics to have the class in the Nashville area ASAP. Stay tuned!

Course Title: TresMon’s Long Range Shooting /8hrs Date: 02/06/2011
Instructor: Tres MonCeret “TresMon”
Price: $85; Local (to E. TN), preregistered
Instructor Bio: Tres is a frequent contributor to the Sniper’s Hide and other forums. Just do a search and you’ll find he has several great posts. He previously joined the Marine Corps and is a very avid tactical shooter, so he is not a “civilian” by any means. Tres is a machinist by trade and a Christian by heart.

First allow me give some background on myself. I have been in law enforcement for about 13 years. Those of you that have attended a LEO type course/school will understand this critique. I am an active duty sniper on my department's SWAT team. I am the lead firearm instructor as well for our department. It has been my experience that Law Enforcement officers use schools as a semi vacation paid by their agency. At most shooting classes/schools you’ll find room full of (type A) students. Allow me to say I am not necessarily “that guy”. When we get to class we posture, size up the competition and get ready for the dreaded classroom portion of the school. When the course/school has anything to do with firearms, all we can think of is getting some trigger time. Being professionals we endure the lectures and take the written test. Obviously, this is not the most productive attitude to have when it comes to learning the finer points of long range shooting.

So to break tradition, I went to a “civilian” school that just concentrated on the classroom portion of long range shooting.

As you can see from the course topics listed in Tres' first post this is a very comprehensive clinic. The students that attended this school were either hunters or long range competitors. There was a no kidding a “nuclear engineer” in the class so the math conversations took on a whole new level of explanations. To my knowledge I was the only LEO in the class. Tres, although not an artist used a dry erase board to draw diagrams that explained the concepts he was teaching in such a way that “I got it” for the first time. Some of the topics he covered I had heard of though I did not completely understand until now.

I have read a ton of books and manuals on sniping. I have been through the FBI Sniper/ Observer course. I have never read or heard of some of the information I got from Tres’ class nor had it put in such an easy to understand way before.

Tres has a strong confident voice that made the lectures easy to listen to. Tres took the time to look at the students faces to see if they comprehended what he was explaining. He fielded every question put to him and would not move on until the student got the concept. What I find that is so unique about Tres is that he can explain very technical, precise concepts in almost layman terms. The subject content was very well presented. Tres gave a disclaimer up front that this is the first class he has taught in the classroom environment, rather than on the firing line. I could not tell. He was well prepared- He scouted the conference room before hand, ran several different lesson plan schedules and had made back up plans in case of technical difficulties. He used scenarios that were sometimes in hunting language, competition language and sometimes in sniper lingo so everyone could understand what he was saying.

The only negative comments I have are not so much toward Tres but more for Bass Pro: the conference room we were assigned made me to feel like I was in a storage closet. The audio/visual equipment was either old or not functioning. Tres had to buy special order adapters just to get the antique equipment to work but due to recent winter storms causing shipping delays they did not arrive in time for the class. I feel like if Tres had a formal training/instructional facility this would have been more enjoyable.

In conclusion, Tres has an extraordinary ability to explain the mysterious science of long range shooting. If you need to understand all of the factors that affect shooting from 400 to 1400+ yards this class is for you. I think this guy will be one of the names you will hear in the future as “an instructor that's a must to train with.

Regards,
B. Hubbard

Hey Tresmon let me know if you do another around East Tennessee please Sir.You can pm or email.Sounds like you have a lot to offer in hillbilly terms.

Jeep,

Get 5 guys together & I will come to you and teach. I know of about 2 more that would want to attend in the Asheville area. If you really want to begin putting a group together, e-mail me and I will send you my detail sheet.

I'm digging up and old thread here but is there any chance you're going to do another one of these classes at BPS in Sevierville any time soon?

Since you dug it up I will chime in too. Me and atleast Two of my friends would be all about attending this class too. Hope it happens