• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns LR Shotgun Choke Test

beetroot

Old Salt
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2018
Not sure if anyone cares or not but due to lack of shotgun threads I'll post this anyway.

I started a thread a few months ago about trying to extend the range of my shotgun due to a particular set of circumstances where I was tryign to control a peacock population, you can read here if you'd like: https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/long-range-shotgun-advice.7130623/

It took forever but I eventually managed to buy a Turkey choke to test, due to not living in the USA my options were limited so ended up buying a .660 choke, this is a bit more choke than I'd have liked but was the best option I had.

I tried patterning both the turkey and my full choke at 60m, with #4 buck 1 1/2oz #2 lead and 1 1/2oz BB lead.
Here are the results at 60meters, I shot both chokes with #4 buck on the same target (indicated with different coloured markers), the full choke with both cartridges on one target and both loads with turkey choke on another target.

Targets are roughly 32" wide 40" high.

#4 buck choke.jpg

Full choke.jpg

Turey choke.jpg

I didn't expect great results as the .660 choke is pretty tight for such big pellets, with all cartridges the turkey choke put more pellets on target (less than 10% more) but with a worse pattern.
Maybe the #2 did better in the turkey choke but it's a bit of a toss up.

I have had good luck killing peacocks with both the #2 and BBs but most shots have been fairly close range, based on my results I won't be trying to take any extended range shots anytime soon.
I intended to pick up some #4s and see how they go, but at this stage will likely stick to the full choke.

In my last thread there was a few suggests of using TSS, I've looked high as low and in New Zealand the only heavier than steel loads I can buy are effectively just tryign to replicate the density of lead whilst being non-toxic. I have found that I can import the TTS pellets for not outragous prices, but I'm not set up to reload for shotgun and almost no one is anymore in NZ, not to mention buying shotgun powder is very difficult at the moment.