• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lr308 barrel

Dildobaggins

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Jun 26, 2020
    Looking to build my first lr308. It will pretty much be an aero M5 with a different barrel and possibly a different BCG. Done about a dozen ar15s, and been researching this for a while and can't seem to make an informed decision, so I'm looking for some help.

Looking to keep it right at $400 or under.
    18" to 20" barrel with rifle length gas
    Primarily used for shooting prone at targets and deer. So I don't want anything extremely heavy.

I'd like a criterion, but by are out of stock and I don't know when they will be back in.
    Looking at a Rainer arms ultra match mod 2 which is a little over budget or a McGowan.

Any suggestions on a good barrel? Thanks.

The creedmoor sports is out of stock. I did see the Fulton armory one. That looks pretty good. I wish I could find some accuracy reports for the criterion. In .308.

@Dildobaggins

I would buy a Criterion again in a heart beat. My 22" 6.5CM Criterion shoots Horn AG 140gr in tiny groups

The flyer was my fault.
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (2).jpg

My 18" Hybrid, Middie... loves 168gr FGMM and does very well with Sanitized DAG surplus.

LOTS More OEM / surplus ammo results, 2/3 of the way down the 2nd page..... https://www.ar15.com/forums/Industr...barrel-results-10-Sept-17-/301-284190/?page=2

NOTE... the linked thread has results from 3 different barrels, PSA Nitrided, PSA SS, Criterion 18" Hybrid.... the top of each thread ID's the barrel being used , in blue lettering.

The Criterion is bedded in, and the face of the upper lapped. Adj. SLR GB

The first 2 pics are 168gr FGMM

IMG_2510.thumb.jpg.33499b630d72d9b44d76257d539445f5.jpg

IMG_2511.thumb.jpg.d04a26830c378f77da50772e98dfd6c3.jpg

This last one is DAG "sanitized" Surplus 20rds.

IMG_2475_thumb_711861fafb2654239279af7afabd4f78-708437.jpg

Last edited:
    Reactions: Dildobaggins
    Holy shit, that's awesome man. Thank you! That test today with ammo costs would probably be 1,000s of dollars haha. The criterion looks like it shoots very well with a variety of ammo. I was planning on slapping the barrel in and calling it a day, but I think I'll go the route in the video you posted on the other thread.

Maybe I'll wait and see if they come back in stock. I just want to get the rifle set up and practice before deer season. There is also an antlerless season in upstate NY in September, so I gotta get moving. The Rainer arms is a little bit more than I want to spend, and the one on Fulton's website is a little heavier than I originally wanted but I might go for it.

Reactions: bfoosh006