• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

lr308 side charge conversion?

dusty1025

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2009
southwest PA
I'm considering a side charging upper for my DPMS LR308.
2 questions..
Who makes a nice one that will fit my DMPS?
What all will need to be replaced, bolt/carrier etc?

Forgive my ignorance, this is my first black gun.

Re: lr308 side charge conversion?

American sprit arms makes a cool looking one, but i dont know if its dpms or Armalite.

Scott Medesha adds these on to your existing. Google him.

i checked out fulton, they make some nice looking stuff, but i can't find stripped uppers. I want to use all of my existing stuff and just switch to a side charge upper.

"Scott Medesha adds these on to your existing. Google him."

after looking at the Fulton setup i thought this might be an option. It doesn't look terribly complicate.

thanks

I have the Fulton Armory side charger.
I've actually been contemplating a reconfigure that would do away with the reciprocating charging handle.

vsg8l3.jpg

The one downside to this is that the charging handle needs a bit of loctite or it will work loose.

If you are interested in any of the parts shown I'll let you know when I part it out.

If i had a slotted upper, Couldn't I have my bolt carrier drilled and tapped to accept a small knurled charging handle?

Yes your bolt carrier can be adapted.

I have the fulton setup also.

The only downside that I see is that now the upper needs a tool to disassemble

I asked because i was thinking that a competent machinest could put together something with a detent ball push-button quick-release. Removing the charging handle would be like taking a craftsman ratchet out of a socket.
This would eliminate the need for a tool, and would prevent it from working loose and falling out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 65mm06</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I asked because i was thinking that a competent machinest could put together something with a detent ball push-button quick-release. Removing the charging handle would be like taking a craftsman ratchet out of a socket.
This would eliminate the need for a tool, and would prevent it from working loose and falling out. </div></div>
Ah, now that's thinkin' with your dipstick, Jimmy!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 65mm06</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Should i get a patent? </div></div>
IF it's a new enough idea to work, I'd get on it quick. It has applications to several other firearms as well.

Try M. Ried Russell of southern Utah. He's worked with some of the older "names" in firearms, like that Casull guy. 435-674-5739. Tell him Brent B. formerly of Allen, Atkin & Clarkson sent you and is overdue to give him a call. It was 10 years and one month ago we took a LONG lunch and shot some fun stuff...

I've been thinking about the same kind of mod.
It would be ideal if it was tool-less and didn't require loctite.
I'd attach the charging handle to the carrier with a push button quick detach mechanism just like the slings use.

I wouldn't get carried away with protecting your idea.
I highly doubt that it would make financial sense to do so.
It also is at the fringe of being patentable anyhow.
Make it and it will sell, hopefully enough to make it worth your while.
I'd buy one

I'm not a smith but i think its a plausible idea. Who can we approach to give it a go. I'd lend out my carrier for experimentation.
Hell, if you're worried about the reciprocation charging handle, you could just remove it while firing. Keep it attached to your trigger guard like the chuck on your drill press ha ha.

I'd buy one too.

If i had the tools and talent i would do it, because i know it would sell.

BTW Hamilton I'm still interested in that upper, although if we get this removable handle thing worked out I'll understand if you change your mind.

Dusty

I believe the bolt handle on one of my Benelli shotguns works the same way. There is a detent that holds it in.

Damn! There goes my retirement lol. Thanks Niho. Any possibility you could post a pic?

is there a way to screw the bolt handle in on a left hand turn so that it will tighten while shooting, like some of the muzzle brakes? or perhaps a lock like air compressor hoses.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cape</div><div class="ubbcode-body">American sprit arms makes a cool looking one, but i dont know if its dpms or Armalite. </div></div>

Those rifles are nice. They come with a 1/2 moa guarantee! BUT they are for armalite style rifles, and they do no have plans to make any DPMS style rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 65mm06</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Niho. Any possibility you could post a pic?
</div></div>Not at the moment, but google image search "Benelli bolt handle". There are quite a few pics.