• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LRF Binoculars - Leica & Swaro

jeffbird

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2006
Texas
Thinking about buying a pair of new binos, and considering these two with LRF's built in.

In the past, I had Leica (prior version) and Zeiss LRF binos for brief periods, but found neither worked as reliably on darker colored, fur-covered animals, such as deer and feral pigs as the Swaro LRF monocular so did not keep them.

Would appreciate feedback from those that have used these in the field, especially in hot, bright conditions which is more our usual hunting conditions here, and more challenging for the LRF's.

Are they better than binos and Swaro LRF monocular, how is weight and feel, and especially interested in reliable ranging out to 1,000, not necessarily how far can they range.

Thanks.

If you absolutely have to range dark colored objects and also range in possibly less than ideal conditions (like most of us hunting do at one point or another) out to 1K. BUY A TERRAPIN!!!

Everything else may work but you compromise when you bundle multiple things together i.e. bino LRF's.

I have no purposes to shoot much past 1200 so I bought a Terrapin, everything else I had could not be counted upon beyond half their listed range (Bushnell ARC 1600's were 100% to 800, etc.).

If you absolutely have to range dark colored objects and also range in possibly less than ideal conditions (like most of us hunting do at one point or another) out to 1K. BUY A TERRAPIN!!!

Everything else may work but you compromise when you bundle multiple things together i.e. bino LRF's.

I have no purposes to shoot much past 1200 so I bought a Terrapin, everything else I had could not be counted upon beyond half their listed range (Bushnell ARC 1600's were 100% to 800, etc.).

Wise words..... LOVE mine

The Swaro monocular LRF has been very reliable. Was just considering some new binos, so wondering if the LRF models are worth the extra cost and weight.

I have an EL range 8x42 and if you are just wanting to range deer to 1k it will handle that without issue and better than the laserguide, the glass is everything one has heard about Swarovski... excellent. My only complaint is it doesn’t have a brush mode like my bushnell fusion bino/laser and there are many times I can get a return with the bushnell measuring through tree limbs both thick and thin when I can’t with the EL.

take a look at the new leica HDb.
i really dig the ballistic calculator that you can swap out your own data cards for each round type. mine have ranged out to 1700meters on a good day.

We had them head to head opening weekend of MT elk this year. Large bull at 600+yds in freezing rain and snow was ranged continuously with the EL 10x42 and the Leica Geovid HD 10x42 failed to range at all. Up to that point both were tagging elk out past 1000yds.