• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LRF for very short distances

pineoak

Assistant Minion
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2017
Cary, North Carolina
I am looking for an LRF for very short ranges. Mostly to ensure my "100 yard zero" is exactly that, or at least know if I'm off.

I really only need to range 100 yards or so. Not looking for future proofing at all as everything/everywhere I shoot recreationally is known distance.

What are the lowest cost options that will do it accurately?

Sig Kilo 1000? etc?

Thanks all

Pretty much any LRF will do at that distance.

Vortex
Sig
Bushnell
Leupold

and other off-name brands which are likely made in the same factory in Chy-Nuh.

I have an off-name brand I got for 100$ a few years back and I compared it to the "nicer" ones my buddies had which were 3-4x the cost.

When ranging the same target repeatedly I would get readings of 524, 522, 526 yards. They would get 523, 523, 524.

For my uses, it worked just fine.

For that Woody's 97 yard "100" yard berm you can use any of the inexpensive rangefinders. If you move across the benches you can find one close to 100 exactly but unless it's a rimfire being off a couple yards isn't going to really effect much farther out.

Any range finder would work for that. Ive got an older bushnell conx that at one time was getting sold for 200something bucks.

Ive found that in my relatively flat lands that the Geoballistics app works as well as my rangefinder. Satellite imagery so if you cant see the target on the web you have to know where the target is in general in order to drop a pin on it- right in front of this tree, behind this big exposed rock- and so on.
Now that my target stands are big enough and stay in one place long enough for a satelite to have captured them it matches what my rangefinder spits out down to the yard.

5804EC44-5B25-4EE0-A234-DDA828422601.png

Reactions: Advokaten
I used to fret over this, too.
If you set up a ballistic solver to show you data in 1 yard increments you'll see that there's about a +/- 10 yard margin of error before it starts to be a measurable difference and about +/- 20 yards before it becomes noticeable.

Unless you're shooting 22lr or benchrest it really does not matter if you are exact.

Now, if you're doing a scope tracking test that's another matter entirely.

For that Woody's 97 yard "100" yard berm you can use any of the inexpensive rangefinders. If you move across the benches you can find one close to 100 exactly but unless it's a rimfire being off a couple yards isn't going to really effect much farther out.
That's my issue. I know it's less than 100, but not sure how much. I zero diff guns diff days and am wondering if I'm feeding bad data into the app.

Between guessing my zeroing distance to guessing BC on bullets that aren't listed on the AB list, I feel like the tolerance stacking is getting a bit much. Hitting steel at dope the app spits out but wondering if it could be better.

That's my issue. I know it's less than 100, but not sure how much. I zero diff guns diff days and am wondering if I'm feeding bad data into the app.

Between guessing my zeroing distance to guessing BC on bullets that aren't listed on the AB list, I feel like the tolerance stacking is getting a bit much. Hitting steel at dope the app spits out but wondering if it could be better.

Yeah a couple yards difference with a centerfire won't really throw you off much if any but just get a cheaper LRF and you can find the bench that is exactly 100. I would think the ones a little farther right of center would be close. Will have to hit it with the LRF next time I go out and see.

Reactions: pineoak
Just picked up a Kilo1000 (I used to own the 2000 or 2200, but sold it because I rarely used it) for this purpose as anything cheaper is a brand I've never heard of.

Thank y'all. Trying to be me exact and getting more detail oriented as I age.

Reactions: Rob01
i get what your looking for but, all LRF have a +/- of accuracy

it changes with the distance

it changes in atmospheric conditions

while your particular unit may read 100 yards for you if you buy another it may read 100.1 or 99.7

most if not all LRF have a .25-.5 yard /meter +/- indicated to actual stated in their manuals

this is from the sig 2000 manual:
  1. +/-1 0.5 yards or meters out to 500 yards
  2. +/-1 yard between 500 to 1000 yards
  3. +/-1 2 yards beyond 1000 yards

330 foot open reel tape measure, less than $20 at Harbor Freight. If eventually going to do scope click validation you'll need a tape anyway.

• Haha
Just a reminder to anyone reading this in the future, need to get the 300ft/330ft version. 100ft version won't reach 100 yards.

Not trying to insult anyone's intelligence, just the kind of dumbass mistake I'd make personally.