• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes LRF Zeiss PRF or Leica 1200

14Dandy

Private
Minuteman
Oct 27, 2009
MN
After owning a Nikon and a Leupold and being unhappy with the the performance of them.

I'm going to purchase the Leica or the Zeiss and with the Zeiss $100 rebate they are the same price. I have used a freinds Leica 1200 CRF and I was impressed with it ranging. I did not like the rectangle aiming point (I don't know if that can be changed).

I'm mainly going to use it for prairie dog hunting.

Anybody compaired these 2 at the same time or have one and could give me the pros and cons of each?

Thanks

Re: LRF Zeiss PRF or Leica 1200

i bought a zeiss from scott @ liberty optics, a vendor here on the hide. i couldnt do a side by side, but i am very happy with it. it has program which will calculate your holdover, a nice feature, great glass, ease of use...talk to scott, he will fill you in on the differences--cam

I ended up buying the Zeiss from cameralandny that posts here on the site. Good price, good service.....very impressed with the unit.

I just bought the zeiss also.I have owned several leica rangefinders and just wanted to try something different.I think the leica ranges faster and is more compact.they both have good optics and the zeiss has a bigger lens which is nice.the ballistic function in the zeiss is a big plus too.

Have a Ziess Victory PRF and it ranges to 1200 pretty easy. I don't shoot past 1000 so its all i need.

Same here, just hoping they will come in before hunting season. To the OP, either of those will work great, Doug @ Cameraland has great prices on demo units that you won't be able to tell from new.

I run the Leica 1200 and have had no issues with it. I did get it very wet and frozen last year. Thawed it and dried it and it came right back to life. Would also be interested in trying out a Zeiss and the 1600.

Of the two, Zeiss PRF. In stock now. I've ranged to 1400 yards plus on a reflective target. Zeiss is a great company that shows foresight and compassion for the consumer in this crappy economy.

have the zeiss

will range a turkey out past 600 w/no problem

trees 1400-1600

like the red reticle

I have a Leica 1200 and it is ultra reliable. It fell off my truck hood at 50mph and still works. Doesn't seem to like fog very much though (limits range)

-dan

Have not had the best of luck with the new compact Leica's. Bought a Zeiss because of what I read on the LO site (sorry, Scott, didn't buy it from you...found it on close-out at a sporting goods store for a ridiculously low price) and have ranged to 1392 with it. I liked the older Leica scan model but have not owned it myself.

Eye cover won't stay on, though. Probably put some friction tape on the inside of the eye cover and see if that works.

Just picked up a Leica 1200 CRF off the classifieds this morning!
Have used a friends LRF 1200 and it works really well. Hopefully this one will be just as good!

I'm curious on how close you can range with the CRF though? I have heard it won't range closer than 30 yards or so?

Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LibertyOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Of the two, Zeiss PRF. In stock now. I've ranged to 1400 yards plus on a reflective target. Zeiss is a great company that shows foresight and compassion for the consumer in this crappy economy. Leica???? </div></div>

Had the older boxy Leica; the newer Zeiss PRF is faster, tracks better. Dunno 'bout the new Leica, but this Zeiss is a keeper. Got reliable hits on a cow at 1000m so far (pardon the pun).
Get yours from Scott @ Liberty Optics. Best price + $100 Zeiss rebate + quick free shipping. Can't ask for anything else.

Jorge

I was really impressed with my buds Zeiss, I am holding out for the Leica 1600

It looks like the PRF rebate is a joke to me so far.I put in all the info and mine came up as only $46.00 by the time they charge you $4.00 for the quick rebate fee which still takes weeks to process.It could be because i bought mine on 5-19 and the $100 rebate started on 6-1 i guess ,who the f@*k knows.My next one will be a leica anyway,the zeiss is twice the size and feels like a empty plastic box it's so light.

I just got the Zeiss RF binos. WOW!!! They are awesome!! Just fooling around with it the other day I was able to range some trees at 1528 freehand. The glass is some of the best I have looked through. But the display is kinda hard to read at times. It almost looks like the battery is getting low. I might thow in a new battery to see if that does anything. But if you are one the fence about getting them, don't wait just get them, they are worth it!!

i have had both and currently own the zeiss if that tells you anything. the zeiss i have ranges way more consistent than the leica did. the glass is great on both. the zeiss is alittle faster and has a thinner reticle which i like. if its for pdoggin i would advise the leica geovids, we used them one time pdoggin and they are awesome, they range great and are way easier to spot targets with.