• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing LRI's 5 axis receiver blueprinting:

Incredible.

I dont fully understand what Im watching but Id imagine new owner of viewed machine would be squirting as much "coolant" from the joy of his new capabilities.

I love watching videos like this. Thanks for sharing. Are you going to put out any other videos?

That is great stuff to watch.

How has the learning curve been for you, Chad? Seems like you're up and running pretty fast.

Also, will this new machine affect your pricing?

Thanks for the show and tell, always entertaining.

I need 1 to T&E I can get it back to you never...... Sweet setup Chad all the hard work paid off over the years Jack.

42 receivers run yesterday. 50+ more due to arrive this am. We busy! :)

Wow with that kind of production even if it eats a receiver every third day it will make money.

Before everyone beats down your door looking for $25 receiver truing Im guessing the ROI on such a machine is quite a long way off.

Anyone looking for cheaper should be willing to pay either your loan interest or part of the lost opportunities you gave up by investing in getting their guns back to them faster.

Wow with that kind of production even if it eats a receiver every third day it will make money.

Before everyone beats down your door looking for $25 receiver truing Im guessing the ROI on such a machine is quite a long way off.

Anyone looking for cheaper should be willing to pay either your loan interest or part of the lost opportunities you gave up by investing in getting their guns back to them faster.

I agree, there's significant money invested into a machine like this along with the software to run it, probably $150-200k.

People shouldn't assume they get to save money because he can do it faster. The ROI for the customer is the fact that he can turn out a receiver significantly faster than most builders out there.

Reactions: Bender
I agree, there's significant money invested into a machine like this along with the software to run it, probably $150-200k.

People shouldn't assume they get to save money because he can do it faster. The ROI for the customer is the fact that he can turn out a receiver significantly faster than most builders out there.

Im guessing more than $150-$200K. Well more.

Reactions: titandriver
Im guessing more than $150-$200K. Well more.

I wouldn't say well more, the base price on this machine is $150k once you add options and software, you can hit the $200k. But I imagine it's not significantly more than that.

I license the same software and I know how much it costs, it's definitely not cheap either.

Reactions: pmclaine
Machines...the easy part.

Shipping
Riggers.
Electricians
Tool package
Software
Making floorspace
Lost time during install and spin up.
Air to machine
Sales Tax
Use Tax
Work holding

For anyone that buys this stuff, it all has to be accounted for. $200K? I wish.... Its partially why I become a very tenacious germ when we put a new spindle on the floor. The only way you keep the wolves away with this stuff is by having it on and filling up parts bins and chip buckets.

Point of all this was to meet a demand and ensure we stay ahead of the curve. 10+ years ago that curve was a 1992 VF1 used to inlet stocks and a turning center for barrel work. There wasn't any of that around back then. Folks took notice. To keep running in clean air, this just had to happen.

Appreciate the kind words. We have another 40 titanium actions running now. Just a little rework for some folks.

Off to devour some cow!

Last edited:
Reactions: Bender
I’ve been building since January of ‘17 and have gotten my process down pretty good. Seeing this is kind of like working really hard at learning the guitar and playing something like Eruption, then having Paul Gilbert walk up and make what you’re doing look extraordinarily simple lol. It’s not that there’s anything wrong with what I do, but it’s sure as heck less impressive to watch!

Hmmm that's alot of receivers of a very specific type.

Chad you are right I own a millwright / specialized machine company the investment isnt as easy to spot when it comes to purchases a d then force feeding machines to recoup cost.

Are those Titanium 700 actions going somewhere they can be purchased or are they only available for use by the person that currently owns them?

Are those Titanium 700 actions going somewhere they can be purchased or are they only available for use by the person that currently owns them?

That's what has peaked my curiosity. That is a lot of titanium receivers. Is Remington even still making them? I don't think I've ever seen one for sale.

Are you timing the bolts also? Thanks Dave

Yes, we are. However my process is a little different than most.

If one is take a sample of bolt handles over the entire legacy of M700's, you immediately see the evolution. However, I don't view as the Darwin theory. It's quite the opposite.

Big companies are often directed by lawyers and accountants. In the case of the handles the foundries doing the work changed over the years. Better price, better price, blah, blah. Problem is the actual part model changed each time as well. Some of this was for style purposes. A lot of it actually. That as it may, fundamental things were glazed over. The Primary Extraction flank surface being the most important.

With the "RR" series receivers it came to a head. That surface for all purposes is pretty much useless. To fix it you have to both alter the flank surface geo and advance it in relation to the rotation engagement point. All this stuff is really little more than a thread that begins at the cocking ramps of the lug abutments. If you were to imagine those two features continuing down the length of the receiver, they should be coincident with the PE features. You build a little slop into the mix so that they don't fight one another, but that is the ghist of it.

So, that's what I try to do. We lump up a bit of tig weld on the bolt and with a couple of fixtures I made we alter both the angle and advance the engagement. Done right, no one is the wiser with conventional finishing. Guns that are "parked" or blued are a little tougher as the steel chemistry changes and it effects the finish a bit. SS handles are the same way when you glass bead finish them. The weld always work hardens a bit so the tone is off slightly. Most never notice it.

As for the bolt work, we have that wired pretty tight. -To the point of maybe being a little absurd. We get the nose, the face, the top of the lugs, and the back side in one hit. We can control all of it within a thousandths and we manage any tolerance stacking by consolidating the tool package. Combined with the receiver work, it becomes very, very possible to start offering prefit barrels. I'm not ready to commit to that yet as its just too soon to know if this is truly vetted to that level, but the initial input is very promising. The last batch of 30 receivers had almost half in one cartridge. The threading was not altered in the program and they all H/S'd within .001" of each other. Promising, but 12 or so actions is hardly conclusive.

We'll see how this goes...

Thank you again for all the kind words. We really appreciate the support.

C.

you wish it was 200k all in lol

now its just a numbers/QC game to see how close the tolerances stay and how fast tooling wear out before you offering a different level of products

congrats

Awesome stuff. The bolt work you do is well explained as well Thanks for sharing

@LongRifles Inc.

I Noticed on your site you are doing a fixture to run the Model 70s also... How close is that to being operational?

I think I need to send you my FN WSM!

I literally just finished it. Had to cannonball down to Denver and back yesterday for a big material run so I didn't wrap it up yesterday as orginally planned.

On/Off the machine in 90 seconds. Tool package stays loaded at all times. Select a program and were rippin.

We've got a palma gun in here right now that were about done with. Automotive paint is still one of the jobs I like to. Relevance of this is that the Winny segment of this project has been on hold a few days. Fixture's done, now I just have to write code.

Hoping to get to that today.

Palma rifle: Viper Red on an old McMillan Prone stock that used to look like a blue raspberry, vanilla latte nightmare. :)

Masking:

Orange peel galore! :) Acutally, it leveled out pretty good.

No matter how good, I still like to color sand and buff. These things are so pretty when done this way. Still one of my poersonal favorite rifles to build. And with any color sand job I do, there's always a spot or two that I hit too hard and sand right through 4x of clear and through the base. Fortunately, I've gotten really, really good at fixing that. This'll get touched up and another coat or two of clear today.

Reactions: goinghunting
Now I need a model 70 project.....

I happen to have a New Haven 7 mag that needs to be something 30 cal in a bad way....

A bit off topic, but I figured you'd see it here.

Do you have a stainless recoil lug option for those that don't want to paint their stainless barreled actions?

What’s the total cost to fully true a 700 with all the bells and whistles...bolt mods, extractor, ejectors, and knob?

A bit off topic, but I figured you'd see it here.

Do you have a stainless recoil lug option for those that don't want to paint their stainless barreled actions?

As of today, yes! We are running lugs in chromoly, 416R stainless, and 6AL-4V titanium as I type this.

Stainless is in the machine now. Prices to follow once I get it sorted.

C.

Reactions: lw8
Do you make a 2 pin chromoly lug that will fit a Defiance Rebel action?

Do you make a 2 pin chromoly lug that will fit a Defiance Rebel action?

Maybe.... Take a look on our site. I have the print up. then compare to yours.

If you are in a pinch, we could just whip one up. Since they are running now its no big deal. Just a quick edit on the hole locations. Happy to help.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. When my SPR needs rebarreled it's going to you for the full action dance. Your work always impresses me.

Do you have extra action (company stock) for purchase or just customer action sent to you to have them all tricked out?? I looked over your store site and didn't find them... ( not they they are not there)... Thanks Dave