• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LTI TruePulse 200X Laser Range finder

powereng

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2009
West Michigan
With the discontinuation of Vectronix Terrapin I know a lot of guys have been looking for a suitable replacement. From what I understand the big draw to the Terrapin is its awesome ability to accurately range targets beyond 1000 meters and its $2000 price tag.

Since I have missed the proverbial Terrapin boat, I have been search high and low for a laser range finder with similar capabilities to the Terrapin and around the same price point. In my search, one product that keeps popping up is the Laser Technology TruePulse 200X. With an advertised ranging capability of 2500 meters max on reflective targets and 1900 meters max on non-reflective targets, and an advertise price around $1800 I figured I’d give it a shot.

A little background first. I am no stranger to Laser Technology range finders. I work in the utility field and we have been successfully fielding the TruePulse 360B for some time. We mainly use it to measuring pole heights, span lengths < 500 feet, and to get conductor elevations. Overall we have been very happy with the 360B’s.

I contacted our Laser Technology dealer and told him I was interested in the 200X for use in long range shooting. Even though he sells electric utility equipment, he was nice enough to send me a 200X to demo. I won’t go into full review of the packaging or what all comes with, but needless to say everything comes nicely packaged with everything needed to start ranging.

Instead of re-typing everything, below is my response back to the vendor.

I tested the unit last week and had mixed results. The pictures attached are from a range session where we set up 3 different types of targets at 800 yards. We used GPS to verify the initial distance. The targets consisted of a target board covered with a black plastic trash bag, a target board covered with kitchen tinfoil, and a 12” x 12” piece of AR500 armor plate painted white. We then used the 200X from our shooting position to range the distance to various target materials. The black plastic trash bag gave us a range of 813 yards where the tinfoil gave us a range of 793 yards. The white painted steel gave us a range of 799 yards. We then use the 799 yard range estimate to come up with a shooting solution. Based on the 799 yard shooting solution, we were able to get hits on the steel target. In the long range shooting world, the bullet always tells the truth. So the 200X showed great promise.

The next day I took the 200X out to one of our transmission line corridors. I set up the same three targets at 1 mile. Again I used GPS to verify the distance and set up on a hill as not to have any ground vegetation in my way. Unfortunately this is where I begin to get frustrated with the unit. For the life of me I could not get the unit to hit a target beyond 1000 yards. I was able to hit a man working in his garden at 936 yards, but that was the best result I got all day. I tried to hit a transmission tower at approximately 1200 yards, but I kept getting the E01 error telling me the target was out of range. I did play with the “closest” and “farthest” modes but with there was no change in the units ranging capability.

Lastly I used the 200X around my neighborhood. My best result was hitting my neighbor’s silver grain bin at 1054 yards.

Just a few points for clarification. I always used the unit in the “Horizontal Distance” mode and always set the unit set up on a tripod. Lastly, I was evaluating the unit purely for its maximum ranging capability. I did not test any of the units other functions.

Based on the published specifications, of ranging capability out to 2500 meters for reflective targets and 1900 meters for non-reflective targets, I’d say the unit failed. In addition, the different ranges given for the different target materials was also an area for concern. I was however impressed the quality and clarity of the glass used in the unit. The rifle and spotting scopes we use in long range shooting community use some of the world’s best glass. The 200X impressed me with its ability to clearly see targets at long ranges.

I do want to thank you for letting me demo the 200X. Don’t worry; my personal testing of the 200X will NOT impact my company’s decision to purchased LTI products in the future. We are very happy with our current units for our current application. Unfortunately, the 200X does not fit the bill for long range shooting.

When I last poke to my vendor he was going to forward my review onto Laser Technology. I hope this review will help some of you in your search for a long range laser range finder.

Laser Technology - TruPulse 200X Laser Rangefinder

Take care, Powereng

If you look closely, the LTI unit and the gunwerks G7 are very similar units.

Based on my use of the G7, while it's a good rangefinder, it's not even close to a terrapin.