• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing LTR barrel not centered in stock?

bcsteve

Private
Minuteman
Nov 15, 2008
BC, Canada
Hi, new guy here,

Just picked up a Rem LTR this morning and I noticed that although the barrel is floated, it's not centered in the HS stock. It's not the first time I've seen that on factory rifles but there's quite a gap on the right side. I pulled the action for inspection and didn't see anything obvious on the aluminum blocks but for fun I put in my LVSF in there. Surprise, the LVSF centers in the stock!? I didn't tight down the LVSF because of it's ADL box, who knows, maybe the LVSF would lean to one side as well with the bolts torqued. Switching back and forth with the LTR and LVSF, the LVSF was more centered. Looking at both actions I couldn't find a difference. Any suggestions to diagnose the issue?

LTR
IMG_0543.jpg

LVSF
IMG_0542.jpg

Re: LTR barrel not centered in stock?

My Lrt also is a little off to one side but not as much as the pic's above. See shoot great like that.

How does yours shoot?

is the ltr barrel in contact with the stock, or is it completely free floated, if the later, don't worry about it.

I haven't shot it yet and yes, it's still free floating with no contact with the stock. Is it worth bedding it to center the barrel or leave it as it is?

Using some sandpaper and a wooden dowel rod on the barrel channel is a cheaper and easier method of getting the barrel centered up in the stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trigger Monkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Using some sandpaper and a wooden dowel rod on the barrel channel is a cheaper and easier method of getting the barrel centered up in the stock. </div></div>

I know what you mean but it will only releave stock material on the tight side. The barrel will still be more on the left side, not centered.

I would shoot it, they are great shooter out the box or at least from what I've heard from most people that shoot them. Also I've heard the stock has a shell to it so don't sand to deep if you do so. After you get through the shell it's a softer type of material inside.

I would put a scope on it and shoot it. Mine like the barrel to be fouled before it starts grouping good a few rounds down the pipe should do it. This is after I broke the barrel in. Shot a round or two then cleaned frist twenty or so then a few more between cleaning up to the first hundred. Now the barrel hasn't been cleaned in about 3 hundred rounds and still shot MOA groups when I do my part.

IDK,
but did you check the recoil lug?
and the recoil lug area in the stock?
maybe it's rubbing/pushing it to one side?
seems strange that one action fits centered and the other doesn't.
Seems like the action, not the stock to me...

Maybe the lug is different/oddshaped compared to the other action?
Maybe the lug is slightly off center from the action screw hole?
(over/under twisted?)
Maybe the action screw hole is slightly off center?
BTW, I understand, if something ain't quite right, you have to make it so....
wink.gif

I recently got a LTR and it is slightly to the left like yours as well.

I've seen a couple LTR's recently with similar off center stock fits FWIW they both shot really well and were still floated but both were obviously kicked off to one side pretty good if you looked at the barrel channel.

If it shoots good I'd leave it alone, well I'd bed it anyway, which would mean I'd relive the lug area a bit, but I wouldn't bed it just to center it in the stock.

It is odd that the other rifle fits in centered. It could be the LTR's action or lug is off a bit as others have mentioned. Which is one reason I've always skim bedded the AL block stocks, even if the block is machined perfect the action fit still can be off.

As a side note did you try putting the LTR action in without the mag box? If it's binding somewhere it could throw things off as well. I've also seen a couple stocks with significant "stock production leavings" still in them in the lug/channel area so make sure something isn't in there putting pressure on things.

I'd also verify just to double check that the LTR ends up free floated all the way to the lug. I've seen them before where it was free floated 98% of the way to the lug, but that last 2% was causing an issue. Since it has a larger profile esp. towards the action that would do it.

This can be caused by several things, some major, and some simple.

The first thing is to check and see if the recoil lug has rotated from center. When they torque the barrel the recoil lug can spin just a little and this can cause the rifle to push to one side.

Most everything else is going to require some knowledge of machining and how they are put together.

I would be concerned about the scope sighting in. If it is the barrel that is crooked, the scope may run out of windage.

I have heard of this happening on a Remington before.
smile.gif

It's pretty obvious to me that the stock sides are different thicknesses, and the barrel is a little off center.

You'll never get it perfect without modifying the stock and properly bedding it, I'd just shoot it, and buy a McMillan or Manners later.

-matt

Some good tips there guys, thanks.

So I pulled off the mag box off the LVSF, and torqued the action in the LTR stock and it's nice and centered!?!? I don't quite get it? The recoil lug looks straight, the barrel action looks straight and flat when I eyeball it on the kitchen counter.

I'm usually good a figuring shit out but I might have to drop this one of to the smith to make sure everything is fine before I try to bed it. I guess I could also steal a scope from another rifle and shoot it as it is and see what happens, might gather more clues.