• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes LTR Scope Recommendation

InTheHills

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 14, 2004
OCONUS
So I need a small scope for a Light Tactical Hunter. I have looked and looked and can not seem to find the one scope that fits the bill. So can you gentleman help me find the best compromise?

These are the things I am looking for:

Lower Power Range 2-10 or 3-12 (somewhere in there)
Smaller Obj 38-42mm
Front Focal Plane
MIL / MIL
Decent Reticle – ie IOR Modified MP8 / NF MLR / Leupy TMR
Lightweight – 22oz or less
Better than average glass
Reliable
Responsive Customer Service
Zero Stop & Illumination not required but would be nice to have

Top 3 Contenders:

SWFA SS 3-9x42 sits as the top contender. I am not very good at using the traditional Mil-Dots and end up guessing the decimals. I wonder is SWFA is going to offer some other reticles at some point, hummmm. I have heard (LL Review) that there was no parallax issue at longer distance but I wonder about at 25y?

IOR 2.5-10 x 42 30mm Tactical FFP, MP-8 Dot Illuminated Reticule which seems to met the requirements. But there have been several folks (including Scott from Liberty Optics) that have talked about the short eye relief. I do not want to have to have the EGW rails backing the scope up that far to be usable, it just does not seem like a great solution. There have also been a couple of reports of tunneling on lower power which would not be great for hunting where I would want a large FOV at the lowest powers.

Leupold MK4 3.5-10x40 FFP M5 which is still not on the market but will likely have all the compromises of the current MK4; so so glass, not great reliability, and over priced.

So are there any that I might want to consider that I have not mentioned? What is your recommendation?

GM

Re: LTR Scope Recommendation

I think the 3.5-15x50 is a little big and heavy for what I am trying to do. That additional half pound would add up hiking around the desert all day. Now if NF did something between the NXS 2.5-10x32 and the NXS 3.5-15x50 F1 with a FFP my decision would be done.

GM

Why does it have to be FFP? I have hunted very successfully with the NF 2.5-10X32 on an LTR. Since it tops out @ 10X it works fine for ranging despite being SFP. It's a rugged, compact scope with excellent tracking, good glass and eye relief and no tunneling.

Had the itch for a new hunting rifle last year... Ended up putting a Nightforce 2.5-10 x 32 on a Remmy XCR Compact. Couldn't be happier with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azimutha</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why does it have to be FFP?</div></div>
Mostly because this will also be a trainer for me and I want to have as similar a setup as possible to the real rifles. I think the coyotes will be a good practice for movers but I dont think too many of them will sit still while I crank up to 10x. I do realize that the FFP might be a sacrifice for hunting but I have to give up something some where.

Thanks for the advise, I will give Liberty a call. I want to ask them about the Vortex PST as well. It does have a bigger Obj than I would prefer but the specs say it still comes in at 22oz.

GM