• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing lubalox coating in winchester supreme bullets

bigtater80

Private
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2010
central louisiana
I bought a box of these for my 22-250 and they seem to shoot really well and I was happy with them until I have started reading about moly coatings and the ring of death and ruined barrels. Is this a moly coating? I have like 8 left and am hesitant to shoot them after what I have read. Also a buddy shoots em in his 7 mag and when we cleaned the barrel we got a lot of brown on the patches which would concour with the barrel rusting between the coating and barrel also very hard to remove after an hour we still seeing brown and black. I wanna know if its moly? There are plenty other bullets in this price range and I will start reading soon and don't wanna damage my barrel. It isn't an expensive rifle but shoots very well after I put some rounds down the pipe about 120 and half inch at a hundred is not a shock anymore. Winchester white box was what I shot at first and they shot a half inch on the first day 4 shots with one click of elevation after first shot but weren't consistent. I think the largest part was rifle still settling down and breaking in which is common with a handi-rifle . At a hundred yds the nestle logo on a .5l water bottle is toast. If its not moly ill continue to use them just wanna be sure.

Re: lubalox coating in winchester supreme bullets

It's LIKE moly, but not the same. I've been shooting moly for years with no problems. I've also shot the lubalox for a while before I started reloading, & doing my own moly.

think I'm gonna just go back to plain copper bullits. I would finish the box but that stuff is a total pain to remove.

Have shot a ton of the combined tech bullets and gun is fine. is your accuracy falling off because if it is not there is no need to clean any way.

From my understanding lubalox is not moly and does not leave the moly in your barrel so it doesn't have the same bad effects that moly has. I don't think Winchester has done a good job advertising the differences especially since people have now started to shy away from moly. Lubalox, because of the way it looks, has people confused about what are the differences. You can research it as this question is out there a lot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pirogue joe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought a box of these for my 22-250 and they seem to shoot really well and I was happy with them until I have started reading about moly coatings and the ring of death and ruined barrels. Is this a moly coating? I have like 8 left and am hesitant to shoot them after what I have read. Also a buddy shoots em in his 7 mag and <span style="text-decoration: underline">when we cleaned the barrel we got a lot of brown on the patches which would concour with the barrel rusting between the coating and barrel</span> also very hard to remove after an hour we still seeing brown and black. I wanna know if its moly? There are plenty other bullets in this price range and I will start reading soon and don't wanna damage my barrel. It isn't an expensive rifle but shoots very well after I put some rounds down the pipe about 120 and half inch at a hundred is not a shock anymore. Winchester white box was what I shot at first and they shot a half inch on the first day 4 shots with one click of elevation after first shot but weren't consistent. I think the largest part was rifle still settling down and breaking in which is common with a handi-rifle . At a hundred yds the nestle logo on a .5l water bottle is toast. If its not moly ill continue to use them just wanna be sure. </div></div>

That brown is the steel you are scrubbing away as you aggressively overclean the rifling out of your barrel.

People sweat the moly business even more than the Break-in/Cleaning horseshit.

the brush wasn't used that much! I'm not big on a lot of brushing more of a patch 5 min soak kinda guy. Not sweating it. I will shoot something else. I've read about risks with moly and I work hard to buy my toys and its in my best interest to take care of them. . I heard of this after I bought em and have nothin against a uncoated bullet was curious is all.if patches and butch's was rubbing steel out then his rifle sucks! Have no issues of this nature with my other rifles from copper bullets.

Did you clean the barrel good before you used it? The brown you were seeing was probably bluing salts that were left from the factory. I doubt you were removing metal with a patch and solvent.

barrel was cleaned before he started shooting em. My barrel had been cleaned several times as well. I just got black from mine not the black/brown he got but he had several boxes through his as opposed to the 12 shots I fired through mine.

Lubalox IS NOT moly. I used combined technology bullets religiously prior to switching to berger bullets. You don't have to worry about the black ring of death or any of the BS. I also found that I got very little fowling with the Nosler CT bullets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pirogue joe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought a box of these for my 22-250 and they seem to shoot really well and I was happy with them until I have started reading about moly coatings and the ring of death and ruined barrels. Is this a moly coating? I have like 8 left and am hesitant to shoot them after what I have read. Also a buddy shoots em in his 7 mag and <span style="text-decoration: underline">when we cleaned the barrel we got a lot of brown on the patches which would concour with the barrel rusting between the coating and barrel</span> also very hard to remove after an hour we still seeing brown and black. I wanna know if its moly? There are plenty other bullets in this price range and I will start reading soon and don't wanna damage my barrel. It isn't an expensive rifle but shoots very well after I put some rounds down the pipe about 120 and half inch at a hundred is not a shock anymore. Winchester white box was what I shot at first and they shot a half inch on the first day 4 shots with one click of elevation after first shot but weren't consistent. I think the largest part was rifle still settling down and breaking in which is common with a handi-rifle . At a hundred yds the nestle logo on a .5l water bottle is toast. If its not moly ill continue to use them just wanna be sure. </div></div>

That brown is the steel you are scrubbing away as you aggressively overclean the rifling out of your barrel.

</div></div>

That about sums it up perfectly

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kurt</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pirogue joe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought a box of these for my 22-250 and they seem to shoot really well and I was happy with them until I have started reading about moly coatings and the ring of death and ruined barrels. Is this a moly coating? I have like 8 left and am hesitant to shoot them after what I have read. Also a buddy shoots em in his 7 mag and <span style="text-decoration: underline">when we cleaned the barrel we got a lot of brown on the patches which would concour with the barrel rusting between the coating and barrel</span> also very hard to remove after an hour we still seeing brown and black. I wanna know if its moly? There are plenty other bullets in this price range and I will start reading soon and don't wanna damage my barrel. It isn't an expensive rifle but shoots very well after I put some rounds down the pipe about 120 and half inch at a hundred is not a shock anymore. Winchester white box was what I shot at first and they shot a half inch on the first day 4 shots with one click of elevation after first shot but weren't consistent. I think the largest part was rifle still settling down and breaking in which is common with a handi-rifle . At a hundred yds the nestle logo on a .5l water bottle is toast. If its not moly ill continue to use them just wanna be sure. </div></div>

</div></div>

That about sums it up perfectly </div></div>

I don't think that's the prob!

I have shot around 400 150 grain CT bullets and have not had to clean the gun yet as it shoots the same as the day i got it so those bullets do no harm to the barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kurt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have shot around 400 150 grain CT bullets and have not had to clean the gun yet as it shoots the same as the day i got it so those bullets do no harm to the barrel. </div></div>

Well if its not the bullets and I know it wasn't me I just don't know what it could have been.

I am not having the problem yet. I know a few people who use em and ain't had trouble with em. But I know firsthand someone who is. sorry if anyone takes offense to this but people change bullets for smaller things than this so....... thanks everyone for your opinions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Happy Birthday Joe!

Pirogue's for dinner tonight?
</div></div>

Thanks a lot! And Naw in my neck of the woods a pirogue is a boat. I get mexican chicken for supper tonight.

Thought you might be a Polish chef named Joe! With a clever new spelling of Pierogies!

laugh.gif

http://tinyurl.com/3aj7muf