• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lube the inside of case necks when resizing?

superde

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2003
Bryan, Texas
I've got a friend who has been reloading for 15 years, and he does not. I have been, but it is a PITA because it adds time.

What say you?

Re: Lube the inside of case necks when resizing?

if you are using dies with the expander button, you should. i just take a cleaning patch, wet it with oil, and lightly press the case mouths on it before sizing.

i polish mine w/steelwool fed into a nylon brush mounted on a drill press.....then blow out the ditrius

If you're neck sizing dip the case neck into some baby butt powder. Slides right by the expander ball and does not contaminate the powder.

I used RCBS Lube and do put a little on the inside of the neck. In my case,if you do not, it showns as the expander ball starts to seized. I will try the baby powder on the inside of the neck.RCBS LUBE is water-souble,can be wash away.For outside of the brass case, I wipe it down with rags purchased at the local auto store.

Without lube, you aren't just contracting/expanding the necks, you're also pushing and pulling them in the vertical axis due to the friction forces. This can affect runout. You'll also get more brass build up on your mandrel/expander button. If this isn't kept in check, it will start to scratch the insides of the necks.

Ditto's I use powdered Mica...................

Or get a Redding Type 'S' bushing die with the optional floating carbide expander ball, and pick a neck bushing that doesn't squeeze the crap out of the neck un-necessarily. A light kiss of the slick carbide ball as it touches the inside of the neck is all you should feel.

For conventional (non-bushing) dies, yes, cleaning the insides of the necks and then some sort of lube is recommended.

I clean inside necks with an old bore brush, one swipe. Just enough One Shot gets in there when I lube for resize. Once again. Spray from about a *45 angle, spraying down, from four different directions, let dry for about 5 min. No problems.

okie

I have been using a Q tip to lube the inside of the case necks with a couple drops of RCBS case lube on it. It is time consuming but it seems to work. Then I tumble the cases to remove all the lube.

You can get a dry lube from Ballistics Products that is like the old motor mica. You dip the necks in that and knock off the excess, saves cleaning the neck inside.

Best way is to use Lee Collet dies or if you can afford them Redding or RCBS inset collet dies. No neck expanders =s no lube in or out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tim586</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been using a Q tip to lube the inside of the case necks with a couple drops of RCBS case lube on it. It is time consuming but it seems to work. Then I tumble the cases to remove all the lube. </div></div>

That is what i've been doing.

I'm might have to try the baby butt powder, as I have some on hand for my 2 year old.

baby powder? dont let the local child protectives find out, I'm sure using a child product for lubrication has some evil intent that they could identify.
and dont use motor mica on your kid!

Aerosol nozzles,have zero qualm being pointed at case mouths that are agape.

Personally,I gun purposely in that accord.

+1 Thats what I do too.Hornady one shot is the ticket.Kills two birds with one stone.Rotate ten cases on a paper towel while spraying for a nice even application at a 45 degree angle.

Nobody,you should write books.You got a way with words.You sound like the Mark Twain of reloading and then some.Just a friendly jest.

Steve

I shoot out of 50 and 100rd MTM-esque boxes,as a rule. Empties are placed mouth down,for two reasons. Firstly,it prevent moisture intrusion from the never ending rains and secondly,it greatly speeds reloading.

I've a 18"x18" piece of 1/2" plywood,that I use as a lube block. Simply flip the empty lots of 50/100rd cases atop it,spray liberally,scratch nuts and run through sizer.

I use RCBS powder in the neck and regular lube on the outside, works like a charm, just make sure you knock out the excess! lol

I use imperial wax, and occasionally put a small amount on the expander and/or a small amount on the case mouth.

But I always tumble them afterwards since they are then deprimsed.

Imperial...good stuff.

I have used my regular case lube in the past. Just recently purchased a carbide expander ball assembly, made by Hornady. It is a direct replacement for the RCBS deprime/expander ball stem. The description said, "no need to lubricate the inside of case necks again". We'll see.

I drag the mouth of about every 5th case across the lube pad. When the button squeaks, I drag the next case. It quits squeaking. When it squeaks.. you get the picture.

I also pull the stem out of the die every 200-300 cases and clean it as well as make sure the bleed hole is clean (wire) and clean the inside of the die with a patch on a brush. Don't want accumulated lube messing with anything in the sizing process.

Oh RCBS case lube and pad.

Hello,

I have a small container with ball bearings about the size of BB's. Into this I put some powdered graphite. Give the container a shake or two before use. I dip the case necks into the graphite coated bearings before neck sizing. This puts lube on the inside and outside of the necks. Works for me.

There is something like this available for sale if you look for it but it is no problem to make yourself if anyone wants to.

Sim

Or get a Redding Type 'S' bushing die with the optional floating carbide expander ball, and pick a neck bushing that doesn't squeeze the crap out of the neck un-necessarily. A light kiss of the slick carbide ball as it touches the inside of the neck is all you should feel.

This is what I do. You don't need lube to do it, but if you really feel you need it, use some imperial dry lube charged ceramic balls

I use a Lee collet neck die. It makes better straighter necks without the need for lube.

If you use lube you're gonna have lube inside the neck which will affect bullet pull.

Yall are wasting your time and money, I have watched current World Record Holder at 100 yards, load at the bench, all he does is brush the necks in/out, the left over carbon is all the lube that is needed, my chronograph says polished necks with 0000 steel wool have way bigger SD/ES that brushed out necks.

Using steel wool inside the necks is a complete waste of time in my opinion

Seriously, if the expander is putting"feeling" like extra drag, then lube the inside of the necks. If you use a bushing type neck sizer, no need to use the expander button. You would be getting proper neck sizing and neck tension on the bullet with just the bushing, without lube.

If your using a standard neck sizing die, designed to utilize an expander ball, yes , lube! Brake clean/ carb cleaner/acetone/alcohol on a q-tip cleans it right out of the neck. Through a ton of test rounds, I found with a standard neck sizer/expander ball die(aka RCBS neck die)...lube necks yielded more consistent neck tension and more accurate rounds FOR ME. Your results may vary.

Test with or without lube and different types! This gets you out to the range more to test, right??? Load development is the best excuse to get out shooting! Get out there and make some smoke.

I put some sizing wax on a nylon brush (drilled and tapped an 8/32 hole, to my recollection, in my rock chucker to hold the brush) and brush out each neck a few times to lube and remove powder residue. If I don't do anything the cases get a little "sticky" during sizing. I think it's less stress and wear on the brass...

As for polishing the inside of the necks, not sure if that's really necessary. I think getting consistent constriction/tension/pressure/bite (or whatever you want to call it) on the bullet is more important than the surface condition of the inside of the neck as long as it's fairly smooth.

If you use a bushing type neck sizer, no need to use the expander button. You would be getting proper neck sizing and neck tension on the bullet with just the bushing, without lube.

Assuming, of course, the neck walls are uniform.

When I use the expander ball on my brass (non-match grade), I definitely use lube. Galling brass on the expander will teach you soon enough. There are several water-soluble lubes available now that rinse right out and won't affect bullet pull one way or the other.