• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lube the neck?

Tactical30

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2009
Eastern Ohio
I forgot to ask this quetion on my last mesg.
Do you have to lube the necks of brass when sizing? I havnt been and dont seem to have a problem. I use a lube pad. How would you get the lube on the necks, with a swipe of your finger after you roll them?
Or should I just get some spray and make it easier? I heard if you use the spray you have to let it sit for 5mins or so to let it set. Is that true?

Re: Lube the neck?

You don't have to do it, but it helps with runout. Put a bit of lube on your fingers and do it as you pickup the cases. It doesn't add any time to the process once you get the hang of it. I prefer Imperial Sizing Wax for this application.

You don't normally need to lube necks. Too much will lead to dented shoulders fast.

The spray does have to sit for a few minutes, I think there's a component that needs to evaporate before it's effective.

I like Hornady Unique better than the pads or sprays. There seems to be less effort needed when sizing, and I make less of a mess with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longrange30</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I heard if you use the spray you have to let it sit for 5mins or so to let it set. Is that true?</div></div>

At least a couple minutes, but your spraying 50 to 100 cases at a time usually, it's not like you spray them one by one.

Re: Lube the inside case neck

Lube the inside of the case neck.. This will help with reducing case stretching when you pull the case over the expander ball.. and help reduce case/bullet concentricity issues. I then place all my lubed, resized brass in a bucket of isopropyl alcohol to degrease.. works well, fast, and the alcohol is cheap.. at your local store.

Oh, I didn't even think of that, I assumed he meant the outsides. Yes, definately lube the inside. Graphite and a cotton swab is the way to go for me.

I would also lube the entire case. When using Imperial wax, I'll roll the case and tilt the case head onto the pad to get the neck and some on the shoulder. I don't use a lot of wax, so I won't get dimpled shoulders. If you over coat the pad, the wax will build up inside the die and cause dents. I also keep a Q-tip with some wax on the end to coat the inside of the neck every 5 or so cases (when using the expander ball). This keeps the brass running smooth over the expander ball. You will need to tumble after wax coating the inside of the neck. If not, it will cause bullets to seat very smooth on some, and rough on others, and will give you inconsistant seating.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TomS308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lube the inside of the case neck.. This will help with reducing case stretching when you pull the case over the expander ball.. </div></div>

Two things........don’t lube the inside of the case with a petroleum base product and loose the expander ball dies.

Use dry moly for the ID of case necks for consistent bullet seating depth and use the Type S bushing dies for FL sizing.