• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

lubricants for SA's, AR's in particular

Re: lubricants for SA's, AR's in particular

A whole lot of brands out there, many of them work very well. I prefer Rem Oil because it leaves behind Teflon after it burns off, many other brands do as well. Another plus is that it is available at Walmart and fairly inexpensive. But really you can use just about anything even ATF fluid.

That's what I've been useing but was just wondering about others. You know the old "two heads are better than one". I haven't seen it, but does Rem Oil come in a spay can?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cheech</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...does Rem Oil come in a spay can?</div></div>
Yes, two sizes. I keep the large can on the shop bench and the smaller spray can 4 0z I think, in my range bag. Check Walmart, they should have it.

I've been testing GUNZILLA in my AR and it is amazing stuff that does clean and lube. The debris from firing just wipes off. I'm going to do my pistols next. Regards

I heard that Gunzilla was pretty good stuff. Haven't seen it at the local shops but I'll have to find some and compare it to the Rem Oil. I've also heard of useing ATF and even synthetic motor oil. Haven't tried them yet, just don't smell right,lol.

Been running FP-10 (Now made by Shooter's Choice) since Desert Storm. I lube my NM AR, my Rock River Duty carbine and its the only lube I use on my daily carry duty side arm. I run it on my suppressed AR-15 and my .308 AR even after a long day of suppressed shooting the FP-10 is still holding up

Great product

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigBoss0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SLIP2000EWL. Why? It's the best I've used. </div></div>

This is as good as it gets.

Re: lubricants for SA's, AR's in particular MOBIL1

I listened to a conversation between two very knowledgeable and experienced individuals a couple days ago that revolved around the benefits of synthetic motor oils for use in guns. The arguments were basically consider the environment in which synthetics are used, how well they protect metals from corrosion, friction and heat; they stay where they're put - don't drip out of the action into your case/dragbag/safe and for about $12 you can buy a quart of mobil 1 synthetic oil and a tub of grease and it'll last you a lifetime.

As with many things, YMMV.

I haven't decided. When I got to the auto store there was 5-30, 10-30, 20-50 and I got a little overwhelmed; plus I have several bottles of CLP and SLIP 2000 EWL on hand that aren't going anywhere, but they really don't stay where they're put and for that alone I'm willing to try the synthetics.

All kinds of stuff, whatever is close by that suits my fancy. The usual suspects are KG gun oil, ATF, motor oil, CLP, or Remoil. It all works, ATF and motor oil last the longest, the motor oil longest but the ATF has more detergents. Don't overthink it, just lube it and shoot.

I'm not really trying to over think it. I was just curious as to others choices. And thought this may be an informative thread. After all we all have significant amounts of money invested in our weapons and would like to take the best care we can so they last. The Rem Oil works for its intended use, after all Remington has been in the game for a long time, doesn't mean it's the best. I am just curious as to what might be out there to do, perhaps, a better job. I'm leaning toward synthetic motor oil. Opinions and Ideas "make the world go round".

I use Froglube CLP. It just seems to work. I brush it on, and it keeps carbon from building up too thick.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigBoss0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SLIP2000EWL. Why? It's the best I've used. </div></div>
This. Works great even when running suppressed. Easy to clean bolt afterwards too.

I used to use RemOil but that stuff runs alot and fast, at least for me. I like Hoppes gunoil and Machine Gunners Lube. Once my stock runs out, I plan on using Mobil 1 with a concoction of moly.

The Slip EWL is good to -70 to +700 degrees, is all synthetic, doesnt evaporate and turn to sludge, suspends dirt, etc.

Its recommended by many of the top tactical trainers.

We recommend it to all our customers and is the only lube we use in the shop (LE Armorers) and we have tried just about everything.

I agree with the comment about using whatever... Just often.

I have been using Amsoil 10W-40 for years. I have several high round count ARs that continue to run well. I run Amsoil in my Jeep so I always have some. I find that it doesn't burn off quickly and makes clean up a breeze.

Not that its the best... But it works for my needs. Many thousands of rounds per quart...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: normbal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I got to the auto store there was 5-30, 10-30, 20-50 and I got a little overwhelmed...</div></div>Well, I'll help with more of the confusion...
grin.gif

Rather than focusing on the viscosity, check the API rating for it's application. Basically, there are two kinds: S and C. S is the car rating, and C is the commercial/diesel rating. I choose the C rated oils, for lots of applications, as they are rated for use in diesel engines. Diesel engines often are using a second oil pump that produces high pressure oil to use in the fuel injection system, and that oil pressure is often around 3,000 psi. Additionally, API C oils have to deal with higher oil temperatures.

Cheech,

I'm backing up the guys who say synthetic. On AR's, grease, light, on the lugs, bolt, cam pin, heavy on the carrier rails, heavier on the carrier tail, as heavy on the buffer/recoil spring. No lube on the firing pin.

Drop of oil on hammer and trigger pin.

So grease except where you can't get it. Then oil because grease stays better.

Synthetic rather than mineral based. Mineral based burns off.

A major lubricant distributor will give away samples in condiment sized packets. Shell, Mobil, etc.
I use Amsoil too. That stuff is as slick as it gets and seems to bleed into the smallest, deepest area.

I have settled on two brands: Slip and Wilson Combat lubes, I have been using Wilson for years on the pistols and they work great on the SA's.

Slip is my newest lube to try, been using it for about a year with excellent results.

Based on a recommendation from a place in Indiana:
1 part LPS oil
1 part aviation hydraulic fluid
1 part synthetic 2 stroke oil (I use BelRay )

Lubes well and makes cleaning bolt carbon a breeze

This may be a stupid question (not a first for me by the way) Anyone using Slick50 engine lubricant additive on their semis?

SLIP makes a 30 weight version of thier Extreme Weapons Lube (EWL) the thicker viscosity keeps it from running where you dont want it to go.

Its made just for guns and as Colt recommends "you can use any lube made for firearms applications"

However, some are better than others, Slip EWL is the best I have used thus far, but there are a handfull of other lubes which are very good and others which dont work as well on the AR.

The Slip handles the high temps you get with direct gas impingment and doesnt dry up into sludge or varnish like others.

I've been using Mobil1 on the bolt and inside the carrier and remoil for trigger, etc. Used to use Shooter's choice high tech grease for carrier rails. When I ran out of that, I started using the Mobil1 grease I had in the garage. Seems to work just as well and easier to resupply.
I've been feeling a little ghetto with the car stuff, so I keep meaning to get some Slip2000.

Remoil and hoppes 9. All you'll ever need

That's what I was taught by my highpower coach, all guard, navy, marine and army teams. (lots and lots of jr. Clinics)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mkollman74</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This may be a stupid question (not a first for me by the way) Anyone using Slick50 engine lubricant additive on their semis? </div></div>

I wondered the same thing when I heard about the synthetics.

I use mobile one synthetic but I gut a sample of frog lube at the shot show and have been happy with it. The bolt is really easy to clean when I use the frog lube

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 77Bronc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have settled on two brands: Slip and Wilson Combat lubes, I have been using Wilson for years on the pistols and they work great on the SA's.

Slip is my newest lube to try, been using it for about a year with excellent results.

77 </div></div>

I use exactly the same

I like slip2000ewl. I also like to use eezox on the outside of barrels.

I have tried remoil, gun butter, militec1 and some others. They will all work fine. I just prefer the slip2000ewl.

I started using TW-25b grease on the bolt carrier. Still use a liquid lube on the bolt though. I bought a syringe of it about 5 years ago and still have a lot left in it. A very little bit goes a long way. Its easy to clean off, and if you don't plan on shooting for a while, it stays put. I won't run down into the buffer tube like most liquid lubes will.

Also use larue's machine gunner lube in my 223 AR's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Squattingchickn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When people are saying slip are you meaning slipstream? If not has anyone had experience with slipstream?

http://www.crusaderweaponry.com/shop.php </div></div>

Slip 2000 products

Ive been using Miltec-1 for a while now on everything I own and love it. Have had it on rifles and pistols that I have taken down to Front Sight and had no issues after 100s of rounds and all the fine dust that is down there.

Great success with slip2000 EWL and EWL30.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sapper12b</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ive been using Miltec-1 for a while now on everything I own and love it. Have had it on rifles and pistols that I have taken down to Front Sight and had no issues after 100s of rounds and all the fine dust that is down there.
</div></div>

I have a tube of Miltec-1 and its thicker than axle grease! Do you apply a light coating with your finger or what? I have only used it on my old Mosin Nagant 91/30. I never though of using it on an AR. Thanks!

Synthetic

I use Amsoil or Royal Purple. After an oil change, the "drippings" from 6 qts will render almost 2 oz. It takes about 10 minutes to completely "drip-drain" a 1 qt container.

Empty contact lens solution bottles work great, after cleaning and removing the label. You don't want to use oil to clean your contacts - it might blur your vision.
smile.gif

Kevin

<span style="font-family: 'Times New Roman'"> Yes, apply it like AstroGlide and about the same amount; enough to do some good, but not so much that its sloppy. </span>
shocked.gif

Sounds like good stuff. Thick means it'll stay put. Use it on your self-loading firearms' slides, grooves, locking lugs especially.

Understand metal on metal plus movement of the two produces friction, the product of which is heat. Heat reduces structural integrity. Wear is the final product. Lubricants separate moving metal parts to obviously reduce or prevent wear. Lubricants are not fancy luxury items. To run a gun dry is sacrilegious, immature, spoiled, ignorant and wasteful of the few I've seen committing this awful act.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: akflier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been using Mobil1 on the bolt and inside the carrier and remoil for trigger, etc. Used to use Shooter's choice high tech grease for carrier rails. When I ran out of that, I started using the Mobil1 grease I had in the garage. Seems to work just as well and easier to resupply.
</div></div>

Amen!

Haven't found any of the expensive lubes to be any better than the stuff I can buy in the auto section at Wal-Mart.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KAZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been testing GUNZILLA in my AR and it is amazing stuff that does clean and lube. The debris from firing just wipes off. I'm going to do my pistols next. Regards </div></div>

I bought and used Gunzilla, It turns to glue after sitting a few months.. It gets Very sticky..

I wont use it anymore.

ch

Liberal use of bulk, non-specialty lubes are your friend. Whether synthetic or mineral based, just lubricate the gun, store it muzzle down, or topside down until its finished bleeding, (if it bleeds onto the trigger some sissy will be bitching about that because he can't thereafter stick it in his nose) but just for the sake of the gun and sport lube it.

They're all about the same. I only lube the rails on the carrier and in a pinch, just pull the dip stick to a near by car and apply with finger tip.

Rich

CLP on my M4, believe it or not.

And I've been using Militec grease on my 308AR. Still have some tubes from back when they were giving out samples.

usc, what about the lugs?

I'd like to sample the Militec grease. Maybe a generous, kind soul could slip me some in a dime bag?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chansen49</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KAZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been testing GUNZILLA in my AR and it is amazing stuff that does clean and lube. The debris from firing just wipes off. I'm going to do my pistols next. Regards </div></div>

I bought and used Gunzilla, It turns to glue after sitting a few months.. It gets Very sticky..

I wont use it anymore.

ch </div></div>

Good info. Anyone else have this problem.

I'm shocked that out of all of these responses, only one other person has mentioned TW-25B and other associated MilComm products. I'll have to second that recommendation. Before using this, I used RemOil on my AR. It's night-and-day, the comparison in the amount of lubricity these products provide in a semi-auto action (with TW-25B outperforming RemOil by a non-negligible margin).

TW-25B is thick enough in its original formulation to stay put where it's applied, but also comes in an oil form that can be put into a squeeze-bottle, kept in a pocket during a day-long range session, and squirted into the bolt-carrier group holes to re-apply to the bolt, gas rings, inside of carrier, etc., as an aggressive firing schedule displaces lubricant from critical bearing surfaces.

This is a moot point, as any lubricant you choose can be placed into whichever dispenser is the most convenient for you, but you can purchase TW-25B in a small resealable syringe which can also be re-filled when empty. This makes it very easy to apply to hard-to-reach areas inside of the receiver, and very quick to apply to bolt lugs, cam pin channel, carrier bearing surfaces, etc.

Two negative points I could say about TW from my own experience is that it does separate into two components, and it's expensive. At least as a psychological security blanket, I'd prefer it didn't separate into constituents and stayed homogeneous.

I have tryed everything from CLP to Rem oil ,and I have found that nothing works any better then Mobil 1. I have never hade a problem with it in any AR .

chansen49 said "I bought and used Gunzilla, It turns to glue after sitting a few months.. It gets Very sticky..

I wont use it anymore."

Thanks for the heads up. Are you saying that a stored firearm cleaned/lubed with Gunzilla had the BCG surface become sticky? My pals who recommended it have not experienced any thing but good results so far. I'll treat an extra bolt and age it for a while. Regards

Just a thought - Mobil 1 makes a special blend for V-twin motorcycles that is designed for higher temps and has extra additives to keep contaminant deposits from hardening. If you look hard, most parts stores have it in stock.

Surprised no one has recommended Weapon Shield. I've tried most all mentioned above and Weapon Shield is my product of choice.

Dont' take my word for it though. If you will just e-mail them, they will send you a free oiler pen and you can make up your own mind.

They are also offering free shipping on a 16 oz. bottle during Sept., but you must call to order.

http://www.steelshieldtech.com/mainpage/retail-product-weapon-shield.html

Free if you e-mail = http://www.steelshieldtech.com/store/weapon-shield-oiler-pen-p-50.html