• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lucas Bore Guides

BasraBoy

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Not sure whether to post this in the smithing section or here.....bear with me if it's in the wrong place.

I've been using the Sinclair delrin guides for a while but I've got a new rifle from GAP on the way and thought now'd be a good time to look at some alternatives...want to treat the new baby right!

Has anybody any experience of the Lucas bore guides? Are they any better than the Sinclair ones?

Do I understand right that they have a separate insert matched to the cleaning rod dimensions and that the guide itself is matched to individual chamber dimensions?

Also, does anybody know how to get hold of them? I can only find a link through "another website" and so far my emails haven't had any response.

Thanks in advance for your help with this.

Re: Lucas Bore Guides

Lucas is the best I've ever used and is the only one I am aware of that truly protects the bore. Mike is great to deal with too.

Most, like Midway and Sinclair, would be more properly called "bedding protectors", because about all they do is keep solvent out of the action.

If a rod guide will allow a bore brush through, there is no way it will protect the throat from the rod......

You have to call Mike to order: (803) 356-0282

There the best l have them for all of my bolt guns.

Best I have ever used also and I have used alot. Also a good part is that if you have a .308, .260 and .243 you can use the same body but depending on rod diameter you only have to get another insert. I use the same body on my .308, .243 and 6.5 Creedmoor. Just have an insert on my .308 rod that fits it and another on my other rod which I use for the other two.

Some pics and a short video I made showing how easy it is to use.
P1010337.jpg

The best part about the Lucas is that the insert fits the rod so there isn't alot of slop and play and it keeps your rod straight down the barrel.
P1010336.jpg

Not sure what it's made of but whatever plastic it is it is tough and won't be effected by solvents. I have used mine for years now.

Thanks again Rob01.

I'll get on the phone to Mike when you guys on the other side have had a little more time to get your day started.

Called Mike about half an hour after my last post. Answer was immediate. Gave him the details of what is needed. Got an email straight back with prices and date for delivery.

Top bloke and great CS.

Doesn't get any better than that.

If you are reading this Mike, a big "Thank you!"...and to the guys above for their help.

I own several Lucas Bore guides and have another one in the works for my new 338 LM Improved. Excellent gear and a great guy to deal with.

JeffVN

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not sure what it's made of but whatever plastic it is it is tough and won't be effected by solvents. I have used mine for years now. </div></div>

pretty sure it is Delrin, same stuff I machined my thread protectors out of.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ltfirehunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whats the price on these?</div></div>

2 guides with one rod insert = $79 shipped to the UK

I have one of his guides for each rifle I own.

Mike has great customer service and always delivers when he promises... in fact, he has beaten the "promised" date by a few days on all of mine. Thanks Mike!

I put his info in my address book and will be contacting him soon myself.
Thanks Hide!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BasraBoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Called Mike about half an hour after my last post. Answer was immediate. Gave him the details of what is needed. Got an email straight back with prices and date for delivery.

Top bloke and great CS.

Doesn't get any better than that.

If you are reading this Mike, a big "Thank you!"...and to the guys above for their help. </div></div>

Did yours arrive yet? Any impressions, thinking of getting one to my AW as well..!

Mike is a man of his word. Bang on schedule on 27th July I get the mail saying the guides I ordered are ready to ship.

Looking forward to getting them in.......

Like you, I started with the Sinclair guides for my bench rest rigs. I now have 7, Lucas guides; one for each rifle, and I am going to order another tomorrow for my latest project that will be here in about 2 weeks. I will not use anything else.

When I got my first Lucas guide it took a few attempts to get the hang of cleaning my rod and insert as I withdrew them from my barrel, but there is never any slop in the chamber or trigger.

Enjoy the best

Just be sure to put the bore guide piece on the cleaning rod BEFORE putting the patch on the jag. Don't ask me how I know this....

Functionally the same
TK is of better machined material, has o rings to prevent solvent in the bedding, a little slicker overall
But clearly nothing wrong with either.

Both give excellent service.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fx77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Functionally the same
TK is of better machined material, has o rings to prevent solvent in the bedding, a little slicker overall
But clearly nothing wrong with either.

Both give excellent service.</div></div>

The Lucas also has an o-ring seal and is the best investment in weapon hygiene you can make.
Mike Lucas is also a stand-up guy to deal with. Definitely a five star product.

Do they have an online store or do you just have to call? I would like one for my R700P in .308Win.

Just call and talk to Mike. Very easy. Just got another last week for a 300WM.