• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Luepold 6.5-20x50 versus Vortex PST 6-24x50

Bama Fan

Minuteman
Supporter+
May 10, 2013
Charlotte
I am considering one of these scopes for my 338 Lapua until I can swing a S&B. I want something that will get me out to 1,500 yards. Shooting will consist primarily of target but may include some hunting. Am using a 20 MOA base but also have a 40 available. Which would you recommend? Other scopes to consider? Thanks

I am considering one of these scopes for my 338 Lapua until I can swing a S&B. I want something that will get me out to 1,500 yards. Shooting will consist primarily of target but may include some hunting. Am using a 20 MOA base but also have a 40 available. Which would you recommend? Other scopes to consider? Thanks

I'm sure by now you've done something. I have two Vortex Viper Pst 6.5 x 24's Second Focal Plane and couldn't be happier. I shoot 1000 yds with the one. I also have a Sightron SIII 8 x 32 and like that as well, but a couple hundred bucks more and more power especially if you're going out to 1500 yds.

I have not made a decision yet but am leaning toward the PST. I am going to Mile High Shooting Accessories later this week to compare the scopes.

I run a 5.5-22X50 NXS on mine and I have to hold over a little at a mile. Vortex Razor will do what you want with great glass too. There a few for sale now that the new model came out.

PST is a great scope for the money, but it's not the scope for a 338.

I would look for a deal on a used Vortex Razor or NF NXS 5.5-22x. Both are high performing scopes that will serve you well at your intended ranges and can be had at some steal of deals right now.

Since you're not looking for a permanent scope, rather one to stem you over while you save your pennies and eat Ramen, you could get into a used scope, shoot it while you save and damn near sell it for what you paid for it. Once a scope goes for used once, they don't depreciate much after that.