• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Lug Lapping question---

tunacan

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2009
Utah, SLC
Is there any disadvantage of lapping your lugs with your firing pin in and letting the tension of the firing pin spring lap your lugs?

Please advise..

Thanks

Re: Lug Lapping question---

Remove the firing pin. If the rifle is a Ruger, Remington, Savage, etc., it is not difficult to take out.

For a low-budget lapping tool, take a case that fits your rifle(.223, 22-250, whatever you are lapping). Cut the case in half and get a spring from the hardware/building supply store. Put the spring in between the two halves and use it to provide the pressure on your lugs while you lap'em.

The spring I used to use was bought from a hardware store and looked like a little version of what would go on a screen door.

david

What is the advantage to this process vs leaving the firing pin in?
I have a Rem 700 that I am going to have rebarreled this week.

We have a rod thats threaded with a alum handle on it. Anythin along that line will work. If you leave the firing pin in there is no advantage per say. Its just way easier to do it without and use something to put back pressure on it. Always make sure you go all the way on the down stroke.

If the bolt body isn't sleeved or the raceway bored with an over sized bolt body,the sear & f/pin's striker will exert upward pressure on the bolt body undercutting the RH bolt lug/buttress.

If the action/bolt are properly trued,lapping the bolt lugs is not required.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DANS40X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

If the action/bolt are properly trued,lapping the bolt lugs is not required. </div></div>

I disagree. I think it should be done no matter what.

so do you not agree with dans40x that it puts upward pressure leaving the firing pin in? I lapped my lugs with the pin in and I have great contact but I am a little concerned after Dans comments

If you are trying to lap the lugs with the barrel attached and no other work done is a waste of time and can lead you to other problems that you may or may not be aware of.

Lapping lugs with a barrel attached, especially a factory barrel with an off center chamber is asking for trouble.

If you are not sure of the outcome or are not sure of just exactly what you are doing don't even mess with it.

Dans40x is correct, leaving the pin assemble in can also cause you other problems. You need even rearward pressure, preferably from the front to lap the lugs.

Think about it this way. When you lock the bolt down by rotating the bolt handle clockwise you change the position of the lugs from the 3 and 9 o'clock postion to the 12 and 6 o'clock position. When the cocking piece/striker connects with the sear it pushes the back of the bolt up into the top of the receiver. So when the back of the bolt raises, even if its a few thousands, it will raise the lug in the 12 o'clock position off the receiver lug area.

yea, but won't the bolt be pushed up in the back when the rifle is fired? i leave this shit to my smith, but i was just wondering.

The idea is that even if it is pushed back in the lug area, you are still getting movement each time the rifle is fired. Going back to the whole plan of having the same exact thing happen each pull of the trigger. Plus, having the bolt lug get pushed back on to the lug abbutment area each time could put stress on the bolt lug.

With all of this being said, we could be just splitting hairs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tunacan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so do you not agree with dans40x that it puts upward pressure leaving the firing pin in? I lapped my lugs with the pin in and I have great contact but I am a little concerned after Dans comments </div></div>

No sir i agree with him on that. If you dont take the barrel off you can look at the surface inside the action to see if the lugs are making full contact at all. The barrel will need to be removed to do this as hateca points out.

My barrel is off and I can see where I am getting good contact on the locking lugs.. I used a sharpie and colored the bolt lugs, 1/2 cycled in a couple times and ALL of the sharpie is gone.

Am I ok or am I getting some sort of false reading based on the fact that I'm not getting the reward pressure that is talked about in previous threads.

SDC10514.jpg

SDC10521.jpg

SDC10526.jpg

SDC10527.jpg

It doesn’t take a lot of pressure, it just takes even pressure. If you are not putting even pressure to the rear then you could be fooling yourself.

I use a spring loaded plunger set-up that screws into the action to push on the bolt face so all I need to do is concentrate on the bolt lapping, instead of trying to hold pressure to the rear and lap at the same time. Bolt lug lapping is the last thing that is done in a truing operation, if at all. If the receiver face, lugs, and receiver threads are not true you are gaining nothing by lapping the lugs, and you could in fact make things worse.

Again why worry about lug lapping if you are going to do nothing else to the action?

Do you also know lapping the lugs can change headspace, especially on a factory barrel that has long headspace to begin with?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Do you also know lapping the lugs can change headspace, especially on a factory barrel that has long headspace to begin with?
</div></div>

Great point. Better check the headspace. It could change it alot. Maybe even up to .005" or more if you really worked at it? What grit compound you use?

I used 600 grit. It took awhile but it got there. My barrel is being chambered and threaded tomorrow so head space will not be an issue.

Can you see anything alarming from the pictures. Any words of comfort.

I have read that will prperly recut lugs that there is no need to lap them in. I have also read that lugs should always be lapped in.

Being that I didn't use any sort of fixture for reward pressure and just the pressure of the firing pin is making me a little nervous.

Hopefully there is no damage done

There has also been other work done to the receiver. I was just under the impression that lapping the lugs was just one more variable to eliminate in order to acheive consistant accuracy.

This is my first go-round with a semi-custom rifle. The receiver is a Reminton 700 that has had the

face squared
bolt face squared
firing pin hole bushed
new firing pin/ extractor
scope mount holes aligned and redrilled to accept 8/40 screw
Scope base Bedded
Threads cleaned up
Holland Lug
RB ERV3 K trigger
HS Stock

I have a Benchmark barrel that I am having installed tomorrow.
Like I said before. I just want to ensure that the gun is going to shoot by eliminating any variables that I can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tunacan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There has also been other work done to the receiver. I was just under the impression that lapping the lugs was just one more variable to eliminate in order to acheive consistant accuracy.

This is my first go-round with a semi-custom rifle. The receiver is a Reminton 700 that has had the

face squared
bolt face squared
firing pin hole bushed
new firing pin/ extractor
scope mount holes aligned and redrilled to accept 8/40 screw
Scope base Bedded
Threads cleaned up
Holland Lug
RB ERV3 K trigger
HS Stock

I have a Benchmark barrel that I am having installed tomorrow.
Like I said before. I just want to ensure that the gun is going to shoot by eliminating any variables that I can.

</div></div>

Then why are you trying to lap the lugs? If all that work was done as you indicate then you shouldn't have needed to do anything lapping wise, unless you don't trust they guy who did the work in the first place.

If you want to remove all the variables then leave that up to the guy building the rifle. Don't do anything that you are not sure of.

The problem I can see happening in this scenario is that the action was trued by one person, you are lapping the lugs, (not really sure how it's done or what the outcome should be), and another is chambering the barrel. Who are you going to go to if the rifle has problems? This is why most builders will not barrel an action that was trued by someone else without checking it first, and charging you for it as well.

I see nothing in the pics that would cause alarm but I wouldn’t touch it any more. Let the guy putting on the barrel do that.