• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Luke AFB response in the Albuquerque Tribune.

doubled

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2011
North Texas
From the Albuquerque Tribune.

Luke AFB is west of Phoenix and is rapidly being surrounded by civilization that complains about the noise from the base and its planes, forgetting that it was there long before they were.. A certain lieutenant colonel at Luke AFB deserves a big pat on the back. Apparently, an individual who lives somewhere near Luke AFB wrote the local paper complaining about a group of F-16s that disturbed his/her day at the mall.

When that individual read the response from a Luke AFB officer, it must Have stung quite a bit.

The complaint:
'Question of the day for Luke Air Force Base:

Whom do we thank for the morning air show? Last Wednesday, at precisely 9:11 A.M, a tight formation of four F-16 jets made a low pass over Arrowhead Mall, continuing west over Bell Road at approximately 500 feet. Imagine our good fortune! Do the Tom Cruise-wannabes feel we need this wake-up call, or were they trying to impress the cashiers at Mervyns early bird special?

Any response would be appreciated.

The response:

Regarding 'A wake-up call from Luke's jets' On June 15, at precisely 9:12 a.m. . , a perfectly timed four- ship fly-by of F-1 6s from the 63rd Fighter Squadron at Luke Air Force Base flew over the grave of Capt. Jeremy Fresques. Capt. Fresques was an Air Force officer who was previously stationed at Luke Air Force Base and was killed in Iraq on May 30, Memorial Day.

At 9 a. m. on June 15, his family and friends gathered at Sunland Memorial Park in Sun City to mourn the loss of a husband, son and friend. Based on the letter writer's recount of the fly by, and because of the jet noise, I'm sure you didn't hear the 21-gun salute, the playing of taps, or my words to the widow and parents of Capt. Fresques as I gave them their son's flag on behalf of the President of the United States and all those veterans and servicemen and women who understand the sacrifices they have endured..

A four-ship fly by is a display of respect the Air Force gives to those who give their lives in defense of freedom. We are professional aviators and take our jobs seriously, and on June 15 what the letter writer witnessed was four officers lining up to pay their ultimate respects.

The letter writer asks, 'Whom do we thank for the morning air show? The 56th Fighter Wing will make the call for you, and forward your thanks to the widow and parents of Capt. Fresques, and thank them for you, for it was in their honor that my pilots flew the most honorable formation of their lives.

Re: Luke AFB response in the Albuquerque Tribune.

I'd buy that Lt. Colonel a drink, for sure, and I hope that the pissy complainer read it and took the words shamefully to heart.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...for it was in their honor that my pilots flew the most honorable formation of their lives.</div></div>

Sadly, few understand the true meaning of "honor" or "respect" or "duty." It's a different world.

What's even sadder is that the complainant is himself a veteran, who simply made an incorrect assumption about the purpose of the flyover and went off half-cocked. It shows that any of us is fallible, and from time to time we all make rash decisions based on little or no "homework" done on that which we complain about.

People are easily consumed by their own day-to-day existence, and unfortunately often don't stop and think about the larger significance of the things they see/hear/read/whatever. IMHO, it is a contributing factor to the shoddy situation we now find our world wallowing in.

What speaks volumes to me is that he sucked it up and wrote an apology.

Kingsley Field in Klamath Falls OR flies Air Defense and formation landing and take-offs, sometimes all day.
When I overhear someone complain about the noise, I remind them that that is the sound of freedom.

Any asshole who buys, builds or rents a house by an airfield or a race track has to be a complete idiot if they do not like hearing the cool sounds of each.
When I was at Bragg, I used to fall asleep to the sounds of hellfires and miniguns over the range near my home....sure do miss those noises now because it would make sleeping a lot easier knowing I was in the safety of such power. I do of course get frequent fly bys by our local Apache's, little birds, and Blackhawks from Campbell so I'm good for now.
I also get to hear the local racce track when the circle track guys do their thing as well as the little drag strip too

OH and if anyone lives near that ungrateful witch that wrote that letter, if you go smack the crap out of the back of her head I got a Royal Salute Gurka($40 smoke) for you

I live directly under what is most days the approach end of Luke. I didn't choose this house my future wife did. The pilots at Luke train constantly early in the morning and late at night every day of the week. I once asked my gentler half if it bothered her; she told me she only notices the days they aren't up. we both feel that people who complain about the noise out here are idiots. Her because she's always lived here and me because I used to work ON Balads runway. People who buy houses next to airports, bases, racetracks, and railyards and try to get them shut down aren't just idiots, they're assholes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any asshole who buys, builds or rents a house by an airfield or a race track has to be a complete idiot if they do not like hearing the cool sounds of each.
</div></div>

Unless you happened to be unfortunate enough to be living in a house built in the takeoff path of an airport where BAC-111 planes took off all day long... Anything is quiet after that

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grimm17</div><div class="ubbcode-body">People who buy houses next to airports, bases, racetracks, and railyards and try to get them shut down aren't just idiots, they're assholes. </div></div>

I used to live close to some train tracks... Once I moved, I found it hard to sleep!

Jet noise "the sound of freedom" I grew up with it and wish that I could hear it everyday. Occasionally a fly over will scare the living crap outa you but it is nice knowing they are around.