• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lumimox "Navy Seal" watch questions

fw707

Minuteman
Nov 12, 2010
KY
OK, I got a Luminox "Seal" watch for Christmas in 2006.
I know they have a not-so-good rep here, but it was a very nice gift at the time and it worked flawlessly for 3 years. Then all of a sudden it started losing several minutes a day. That was a year short of the advertised battery life of 4 years. I sent it to the service center in Cranston, RI, and they told me it needed a $64 "major overhaul". So I got it back after sending them $76.95 for the overhaul, battery, and shipping.
Now, after 4 years, it's crapped out again. I'm glad that this battery has lasted the 4 years that they are supposed to last, but I'm wondering if they'll throw the "major overhaul" crap on me again when I send it back for a new battery.

I've been looking at the G-Shocks at Wally World. I like them, but the bands are too short for my arm.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I have the luminox navy seal watch and also had to send it in to Rhode Island for a 70-80$ overhaul. It was about 5 or 6 years old when I had to send it in. I have been very pleased with it and wear it every day at work. I even lost it jumping into a pond and it it sat at the bottom about 12' down for 48 hours before I was able to get some googles and flashlight and dive down to find it. I have just recently purhcased a Casio Pathfinder that was on sale from Kohl's. I got it for $120 after all the discounts. I have only been wearing the Casio for about a week and have no complaints about it yet. The casio band is more secure then the velcro of my Luninox which gave away when I jumped into the pond. I also like all the extra features of the Casio ( temp/compass/baro/altitude)

I've been looking at the G-Shocks at Wally World. I like them, but the bands are too short for my arm.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Change out the band. If you like the features of the watch, its not hard to change out the band for something else. Lots of options available.

Get a new battery at radio shack & install (overhaul!)it yourself.

I'm not sure how water resistant the seal would be after doing the install yourself. My overhaul also consisted of a new turn bezel as the old one was faded and worn pretty good. So that cost wasn't just to have a new battery installed.

I have a 1820 field watch and love it. My only complaint is the leather band smells now from sweat and it seems to have lost about 2 minutes since I got it for Christmas. The smell isn't the watches fault though. It is kinda confusing to set the day to English the first time. I may get a citizens ecodrive at some point to compare too.

I've changed the battery out on mine twice already. Have had it for 10 plus years. No issues with the o-ring/seal at all. Give it a shot! Helluva lot cheaper and faster than sending it in.

Keep us posted!

I have the recon and it works fine. Losing a couple minutes is the first sign of dead battery. Luminox finally started posting that it will start losing minutes at 2 years.

This will be the last luminox for me tho. I like the watches, but the SUUNTO Ambit is friggin' sweet. I have a number of buddies who use this and they all have positive feedback and the functions are useful.

If your not comfortable changing the battery the go to a decent jewelry store. Most of them do battery replacements. You can always ask to watch so you can learn how to do it yourself. Bruce

Exchange it for the GET SMART watch. I've had mine since the showed aired in the 60's and 70's. I almost had the deluxe version with all the gadgets including the first Kestrel laser range finder, but "I missed it by that much".

I'm not sure how water resistant the seal would be after doing the install yourself. My overhaul also consisted of a new turn bezel as the old one was faded and worn pretty good. So that cost wasn't just to have a new battery installed.

As long as you are careful, the seal should be fine. I have replaced several with no issues.

Exchange it for the GET SMART watch. I've had mine since the showed aired in the 60's and 70's. I almost had the deluxe version with all the gadgets including the first Kestrel laser range finder, but "I missed it by that much".

You lost me when you referred to the 60's and 70's.

You lost me when you referred to the 60's and 70's.

He is making a joke. It is a reference to a tv show, Get Smart, in the 60s and 70s where the main character had a bond gadget style watch that he put to good use as a super spy. It was a satire style comedy and pretty popular at the time. The main character, Maxwell Smart, had a catch line "missed it by that much."

I used to watch reruns in the late 80s when I was a kid on Nickelodeon when my grandparents watched me.

DIY the battery change isn't difficult. Set of fine screwdrivers and go easy: crisscross pattern when tightening. For the seal, a very slight amount of silicone grease just enough to make the surface of the o-ring shiny is more than enough. Did this to a Traser I've had a few times already that I've kept long enough to come up on the H3's half life.

Just find a Luminox dealer in your area, and they will change the battery out for you. I'm on my 2nd Luminox, and the first I had to send in. They also pulled the "overhaul" on me, and I told them no thanks. The one thing I will say about a Luminox is "change the freakin band pins out as soon as you get it". They have the weakest pins that I've ever seen, they suck!

My local watch shop (jewelry store) changes my battery out for a few bucks. I've had the watch (Luminox) for 16 years. No seal issues and it's been in the ocean dozens of times since.

I wear my Luminox 24 hours a day; I literally never take it off. I have beat the living crap out of it and other than 1 battery change, it has run flawlessly.