• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lupo ballistics data

Oceansnaps

Private
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2022
Indiana
I just purchased a Lupo in .308, and topped it off with a Leopold VX-5HD 3-15X44 CDS-ZL2 SIDE FOCUS DUPLEX.

I would like to order the CDS dial specific for the ammo I intend to use (once I know for sure what ammo that is).

It seems the ammo specs on the boxes are all expressed for a 24" barrel, and I have a 22" barrel. How do I get the right specs on the ammo for Leopold to use? I hope to settle on an ammo selection that is fairly common and not on the top end of ammo costs. The gun will be used for hunting, out to about 350 yards.

I really would prefer not to have to go out and buy a chronograph at this time if I don't have to (it would be used this one time and I'd never need it again).

Thanks anyone !!

Patrick

Chronograph or shoot at ~600 yards and true it is the proper way.
If going to accept the massive compromise by not doing that, the rule of thumb is 20-25 fps per inch less.

Chronograph or shoot at ~600 yards and true it is the proper way.
If going to accept the massive compromise by not doing that, the rule of thumb is 20-25 fps per inch less.
OK, thanks.
One other question...I bought Leopold rings for the gun, 30mm tube on the scope. Should I lap the rings? Is it necessary?

In general it's not needed anymore with good rings and a properly mounted rail.
Pay attention to how the rail sits on the receiver. If there is any doubt about how it sits bed it.

Shot the Lupo for the first time today, what a rifle. Bullet holes touching each other at 100 yards.
The guy sitting next to me had a Labradar chronograph and let me take a couple shots. Using Hornady Precision 308 178 grain ELD-X, the box says 2600 FPS, the chrono said 2582 and 2557. The box spec is using a 24" barrel, I have a 22" barrel. Off to a good start !