• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes LVPO Shootout ($1500-$3000): Vortex Razor1-10, Kahles K18i 1-8, Leupold MK6 1-6, NF ATACR 1-8

Escanor

Private
Minuteman
May 4, 2020
Between the 5 options which one and why? And let’s say application is all purpose (hunting, plinking, training, etc) 0-400 yards/meters
  • Vortex Razor HD Gen III 1-10
  • Kahles K18i 1-8
  • Swarovski Z8i 1-8
  • Leupold mk6 1-6
  • Nightforce ATACR 1-8

All things considered:
  1. Weight
  2. Features
  3. Durability
  4. Focal plane (subjective)
  5. Eyebox
  6. Eye relief
  7. Clarity
  8. Red dot illumination
  9. Field of view
I have experience with the Vortex Razor HD Gen III 1-10, but I have no comparison with any of the other optics mentioned.

So if you have experience or comparisons between any of the optics mentioned, your input will be greatly appreciated.

But this is just my opinion, it was well built and as far as weight, it is THE, if not ONE of THE, lightest LPVO's in it's class i believe.

But do the weight savings come at a cost of decreased ruggedness/durability? How/where does Leupold shave off weight? On paper, it’s 4 oz lighter than the Vortex Gen 3.

But this is just my opinion, it was well built and as far as weight, it is THE, if not ONE of THE, lightest LPVO's in it's class i believe.

I always wonder if the weight-savings are as important as some people make them out to be. It could very much be so. It sounds like the Kahles or Swaro 1-8 are best of both worlds... lightweight and rugged, while being feature rich. I’m not sure what the eye relief and and eye box are like on those optics, but the engineering behind those scopes are probably the reason behind the higher asking price.

You really need to figure out whether you want FFP or SFP and how much money you are willing to spend.

For me, once we get past 1-6x toward higher erector ratios, I really prefer FFP, which narrows down the options considerably.

Then, there is the question of the reticle. You are not shooting very far comparatively speaking. For longer shots, do you want to dial? or hold with the reticle?

If you will not be holding with the reticle very much, then either SFP or FFP will work fine.

With SPF, your better options are Kahles, Swarovski and March 1-10x24 with FD reticle. I think Kahles and Swaro are a little better on 1x, but March has side-focus, so if you ever want to add more precision at distance or up close, it will have an advantage.

With FFP, if you want a simple reticle and the most red dot-like experience on 1x, you should add Blaser 1-7x28. If you ever plan to hunt with this scope in low light, Blaser's 28mm objective may not sound like much, it will make a difference in low light compared to the 24mm objectives of most other scopes here.

If you want a tree type reticle of some sort, definitely go with FFP and there, Vortex Razor Gen 3 1-10x24 is probably your best option for the money.

The best engineered LPVO out right now is probably S&B Short Dot CC 1-8x24, but that is entirely different kind of money.

ILya

You really need to figure out whether you want FFP or SFP and how much money you are willing to spend.

With SPF, your better options are Kahles, Swarovski and March 1-10x24 with FD reticle. I think Kahles and Swaro are a little better on 1x, but March has side-focus, so if you ever want to add more precision at distance or up close, it will have an advantage.

If you want a tree type reticle of some sort, definitely go with FFP and there, Vortex Razor Gen 3 1-10x24 is probably your best option for the money.

The best engineered LPVO out right now is probably S&B Short Dot CC 1-8x24, but that is entirely different kind of money.

ILya

Very good points.
And agreed. The S&B Short Dot CC 1-8x24 is on a different level.

It looks like at this price range maybe the biggest factors are the focal plane choice, reticle type, and possibly clarity depending on who you ask.

From what I have gathered I believe the Kahles, Swaro, and Vortex excel in all areas and only differ on those three factors. You could argue that weight should be included, but the vortex is only approx 2-3 ounces heavier than the Kahles or Swaro. Maybe that makes enough difference, but that would be user dependent (shooting form, strength, use case, etc).

...From what I have gathered I believe the Kahles, Swaro, and Vortex excel in all areas and only differ on those three factors...

I’d also consider the CQBSS if your budget is $1500-$3000.