• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing LWRC issues - is the cold weather to blame?

KYS

BBN #1
Minuteman
Oct 8, 2008
Lexington, KY
My scenario is this: I bought a LWRC REPR a few months back and have now just over 400 rounds thru it. It came with a C-Products mag and would barely run without jamming up. So I got the Magpul Pmags for it and it started to never jam up, thats the good news.

Issues Im seeing as the weather is turning more cold is this:
1) The knob for selecting gas setting is becoming more and more difficult to turn as use continues.
2) The bolt will not fully close when a new round is picked up. I have to take the mag out and then pull the charging handle back, slamming it onto the new round so it can fire then extract. Is this an extractor issue or what?

Some background info: its the 20" model, using Magpul 7.62 Pmags, YHM Phantom QD suppressor. I am also shooting Black Hills 168gr BTHP. Same ammo since day one, all from the same batch. I printed a .55" group at 100 yards with it the 3rd time I took it out to the range....

Do you think that length upper is the problem? Is it the cold weather causing issues?

I feel like the buffer and spring might be to light.... doesnt seem to slam shut with authority like my old AR10 did.

Any help is appreciated. I am putting a call into LWRC tomorrow.

Re: LWRC issues - is the cold weather to blame?

What type of lube are you using? Cold temps and wet type lubricants usually mean a sluggish running semi auto.

I use a spray on dry lube in my AR's. I've had no problems with my AR's cycling in any condition.

I don't run a can though.

HTH,
LM

Ive been using the OTIS dry lube and sometimes I use the militec metal conditioning grease.

I gave it a thorough cleaning last night and noticed the gas selection switch was bound up by some metal shavings. I took the whole gas system apart and gave it a cleaning. One of the collars on the gas rod has 4 holes in it. They were not machined very well. I put them in a drill press and cleaned up their holes. I took it out and it seems to be running better. But I also switched over to molly coated ammo. I think it has something to do with the buffer spring being to light. Ill do more research.

Go to LWRC forums--they have a detailed discussion:

For gas regulator--it sticks after it cools down. LWRC just made a tool to adjust the regulator. It isn't broken, it is just firmer than your fingers can get with leverage. I use a Gator Grips Universal Socket from Sears--works well and doesn't scratch the finish. The good news is that it loosens up to finger tight after you work it a couple of cycles with the tool. Since you only need to flip it between suppressed and normal modes, this isn't a big deal.

For the bolt not closing--get all of the original lube off of the BCG--it congeals in the cold. Then, put a lighter lubricant on the BCG and manually cycle your rifle about 100 times before you fire it again. Should fix the issue.

Apparently, some of the newer C-Products mags have an angle to the feed that is screwing up the REPRs. I have older C-Products mags and the rifle hasn't hiccupped yet. SR25 mags work well too. REPR's finicky operation with mags is its greatest shortcoming.

Other than the extra care and feeding required up front, this has been a great rifle. Very accurate and easy to clean.

Steve

yes, it is. Yesterday in certain parts around Lexington it was 2 degrees. its high was 27 where I was shooting. Last night it was 9 degrees.

It can get pretty damn cold here when it wants to!

I think I have it about figured out. Im not worried about the gas knob anymore. got it lined out. They are sending me a new buffer and spring to try.

I am having the same issues!

I recently took delivery of my REPR 20". Was looking forward to shooting her at the 1000 yd range, and in fact got a sub-MOA set off at 150 yds before even sighting in my Nightforce. But, here's where the fun ended. I tried to function test with the supplied C-products mag. The REPR just can't be manually cycled. The bolt would not fully close when a shell was chambered. Using the integrated forward assist, snap-caps, and a variety of ammo (including ammo recommended by LWRC), I was still unable to prevent jams and get a round to fully chamber manually by racking the bolt handle, then releasing the BCG to chamber a round. I think the bolt extractor isn't grabbing the case rim, causing a double feed upon cycling or a stuck case in the chamber. I am using the supplied C-products mag, but the same happens with recommended DPMS mags, so I couldn't necessarily blame the mag.

So, then, my dealer switched out the upper and the BCG jammed with a live round chambered while trying to manually cycle the action again. It took a few taps with a rubber mallet to unjam the BCG. I had the dealer do it because it was stuck with a live round chambered!

Then, I went out and shot 20 rounds through her with no apparent problem. I have yet to try and re-create the problem, but will do so in the future. If it continues the dealer promised to give me my money back. I was told to shoot 100 rounds through her and see if it continues...that perhaps the extractor and spring are too tight. But, I can't believe a $4K rifle is doing this.

I was hoping that LWRC or someone from their forum can tell me what is happening and how to prevent this, so I posted there. For a long-range accuracy weapon that is not bolt-action, the REPR is one heck of a rifle. But, if it cannot reliably cycle and chamber I'm afraid it's back to the drawing boards for this one!

DPMS mags = failure in REPR, they have never been recommended. In fact, we've been warned about DPMS mags since before the REPR was released.

Some of the C-Products mags shipped from LWRC are the wrong spec--LWRC is tracking. You can see a lot of this on their forum.

Clean, manually cycle ~100 times, use another C-Products or SR25 mag.

Hi Cube Warrior. Excellent suggestions and will try.

But, check this from p. 20 of the REPR manual:

"The R.E.P.R. was designed to use common magazines with other 7.62X51mm NATO rifles currently in use. SR‐25 and M110 magazines will work from Knight’s Arms Company along with
any magazine that was paoerned aeer the original AR10 paoern. Modern AR10 magazines by Armalite do not follow this paoern and will not work. Magazines from DPMS will work, however M118LR ammuni3on is too long to reliably feed in these magazines."

Now, I'm not using M118, but either Federal GMM 175gr or Black Hills as suggested by the mfg., so per them this should work with no problem.

I have posted on the LWRC forum and was told by one member that I should not be on the forum but should contact customer service about my problem. Interesting.

I post this detail simply to be informative where it might help others. More to follow as the problem is fixed.

Ya Im still waiting on a call back from their head tech guy, Justin. He said it might be that mine came with the wrong buffer and spring. Hoping thats all. Other wise its been running great. Ive cleaned it a few times now and put over 300 rounds thru it.