• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LWRC M6A2. Worth the extra buck?

ECHO4

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2007
Pgh, PA
I was thinking of getting a black gun. Pondering between Colt 6940 and the M6A2. I'll just be using it for plinking. Is M6A2 worth the extra coin just for that application? Thanks for any insight.

Re: LWRC M6A2. Worth the extra buck?

Personal preference but to me, no. The up side to the LWRC is the cleaning time and ebergy and how often you have to do is cut way way down. Not sure it is worth an extra $ 500 over the Colt. I am sure some or many people will disagree with me. To each their own. I have owned Colts' and LWRC's both. They are both great guns, just not sure its worth the extra $$$ for the pay off. They will both function very very well, and accuracy is about the same. Again, I have owned both, so I know first hand. (owned 6920, not the 6940 though) LWRC look nicer and are finished better and have a better fit. But that may not be an issue for some. Hope this helps somewhat.

Have one...LOVE IT...fit and finsih does not even compare to the other ARs I own or the ones I have seen/handled at the range

I want an A3 as well as one of their .308 guns too...

They are exspensive, but it is worth it to ME, I cannot and DO NOT speak for others!

I love my LWRCI M6A3. Not a tackdriver (1.5 inches is the best I've gotten) but it's gonna run forever.

I get mine in...19 days. Waited 6 months so I hope she's worth it. I haven't heard anything bad about them and the LWRC forum is pretty helpful.

I'll also be picking up my Tactical Rifles M40A3 at the same time. Found a great forum for info on long guns too...

Robinson Arms XCR is a good option as well.... more of a SCAR variant rather than average AR, if i had to classify though.

I own an 6.8mm M6A2 in 14.7" and am absolutely in love with it. This is my first AR so in doing my research I really compared what came with each brand for the comparative $$$. The brands that I started off the comparison with were Bushmaster, Smith and Wesson, Alexander Arms, Barrett, LMT, and LWRC. After an exhaustive comparison, I found that the M6 had the most bang for the buck(even considering that it was almost twice as much as some of of those it was being compared against). My personal reasons for choosing it were ...

1. Available in 6.8mm (more punch)
2. Gas piston system (enhanced reliability)
3. Match grade Cold Hammer Forged 41V45 Chrome Moly with Vanadium steel barrel with target crown(Vanadium is a US Strategic Material that cannot be exported and is protected by the US Department of State).
4. The barrel is treated with NiCorr surface conversion technology that extends service life, enhances accuracy, and increases the effective range of the weapon.
5. The action of the M6A2 rifle is coated in a proprietary nickel coating that provides a hard permanent lubrication to the moving parts.
6. Features a longer midlength free float rail system with a removable return-to-zero top.
7. Considering I live in a non-NFA state it comes with a really sweet looking lower receiver that has safe/semi/select-fire selector switch. Non-functioning in select-fire of course. Damn IL!
8. Comes standard with ... (all items I was going to buy)
- Magpul Winter Trigger Guard
- Magpul MIAD grip
- VLTOR EMod Stock
- Troy front and rear BUIS with LWRC logo
- Tango Down rail covers
- Magpul PMag for 5.56 or Barrett for 6.8's

Here are some pics. Check out the sweet barrel markings. Maybe a sign of the future? Hopefully.

IMG_1637.jpg

IMG_1635.jpg

IMG_1617.jpg

Good post Iflyaaord, with all features and accesories considered the price is really not bad, the initial 'sticker shock' must be overcome!

LWRC are some of the cleanest lowers I've ever seen. Doesn't really matter. When I got home I took them out of the boxes and threw them in a toolbox. They look pretty rough now I guess but I'm happy cause I finally found good parts kits. Mine came with standard markings.

I'm not a fan of piston guns, at all. They have too many associated problems with little advantages. They shoot cleaner, so the guns easier to clean, big deal. They go a little longer with out needing more lube too but, ive also shot my AR to 500+ rds with out it needing to be re lubed.

I've shot an LWRC before and the recoil impulse was horrible compared to my DI gun.

I will say, they're very clean looking, high quality guns.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Goodtimes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not a fan of piston guns, at all. They have too many associated problems with little advantages. They shoot cleaner, so the guns easier to clean, big deal. They go a little longer with out needing more lube too but, ive also shot my AR to 500+ rds with out it needing to be re lubed.

I've shot an LWRC before and the recoil impulse was horrible compared to my DI gun.

I will say, they're very clean looking, high quality guns. </div></div>

Please see #'s 2-5 from my above post.

they are both great guns. I have 2 colts and love them both. my friend has a colt and an lwrc and he loves them both. the lwrc comes with some more extras on it that the colt does not come with.

I like the sticker price of the 6940, but I'll end up tossing on all the accessories sooner or later so I might as well just pull the trigger and get the LWRC M6A2 in 14.7"

I'm about to as well pick some more ARs up soon, the 6040 is an awsome gun and price is good too from what i've found and its a one piece gun. from what I've been told by Pat Rogers the gun he got is running like a champ both COLT and LWRC... I'd personally bypass the A2 and get the A3 for the adjustable gas system, but they are both great guns. Either one will rock and serve you a long ass time.

6940 needs a lo pro gas block, longer rail and flush cup in the rear of the rail. This business with a flip front sight that doesn't lock up is stupid.