• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LWRC REPR or JP LRP-07 or GA Precision AR-10

spforsyth

Private
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2010
Southeast WA
I have been debating which of these rifles to purchase. As a current owner of a LWRC M6A2 I am extremely impressed with LWRC and their piston system. However, the REPR is having FTF issues due to a combination of magazine/magwell problems that they have recently claimed to have fixed. I have read on these forums how great a GAP rifle is and from a pro level shooter about JP and there impeccable quality. What gun would you buy? Money is not an issue. I want the best in accuracy and reliability as well as fit and finish. If there was no FTF issues with the REPR it would already be purchased as I love the piston system. Which is another debate. Piston or DI?

Re: LWRC REPR or JP LRP-07 or GA Precision AR-10

I have a REPR, and I used to own a GAP AR10.

GAP AR10 was more accurate (>.75MOA) and has less felt recoil (due to DI). It ran well as long as it ran on newer style mags.

LWRC REPR is slightly less accurate (<1MOA), has more recoil, but is better in about every other way -- including reliability. Run SR25 or old C-Products mags in the LWRC and you are fine. I wanted a rifle I could suppress that didn't take all day to clean afterwards.

Difference in reliability with the two using BH 175 SMK was ~.2 MOA.

I have no experience with the JP LRP.

Look at the pof, s. Good stuff

I have yet to really study the POF. I need to. Thanks CubeWarrior for the reply. You confirmed what I expected. I'm leaning towards the REPR. I'm going to contact the companies today to get more info, especially the new "fix" implemented on the REPR. Also, to CubeWarrior, what length barrel do you posess?

20" barrel

My love for shooting the AR10 was offset by my hatred of cleaning it. REPR takes 15 minutes to clean--best of both worlds.

Other excellent options are the Noveske N6 and Larue OBR.

Both are very accurate with excellent fit and finish.

I totally hear you on the cleaning issue. Cleaning the LWRC is as quick as running a patch, bore brush, and another patch. They don't even require a full break down until every 2,000 rounds if I recall correctly from the owners manual of my M6A2...I think I will get the REPR in the 20"

JP all the way...phenomenal performance and craftsmanship along with excellent customer service. IMO the best fit and finish in the industry, like nice jewelry. Also keep in mind the side charging handle on the JP.

Second to that GAP...probably equals to JP with respect to function and service, however, not up to the same level of finish as JP.

As for the LWRC it is still a relatively new system with the requisite growing pains.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CubeWarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a REPR, and I used to own a GAP AR10.

GAP AR10 was more accurate (>.75MOA) and has less felt recoil (due to DI). It ran well as long as it ran on newer style mags.

LWRC REPR is slightly less accurate (<1MOA), has more recoil, but is better in about every other way -- including reliability. Run SR25 or old C-Products mags in the LWRC and you are fine. I wanted a rifle I could suppress that didn't take all day to clean afterwards.

I have no experience with the JP LRP. </div></div>

dont know where your getting your accuracy issues from but I can shoot my 16" repr better then 1.0" grouping. And more felt recoil? When I attach my suppressor I actually think it has barely any noticeable recoil at all. In fact I doubt that its shooting sometimes.

how about the new LMT .308 ? (won the UK MOD contract for DMR)

This does not make the decision easy. I desperately want a REPR but the JP is tugging on my conscience. Has anyone shot the JP?

I haven't even seen one of the JP's yet. Or even read a review.

As an owner of a GAP DPMS based 308 and also a 16" DPMS AP4 I can tell you without a doubt that the GAP is worth the money. There are some rifles in my safe that I could think of selling and the GAP SASS is not one of them. It will routinely shoot 3/4 MOA and sometimes I can hit a 1/2 if I am having a good day. I am sure I can't get the best out of it but I keep trying.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: onekneedown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Other excellent options are the Noveske N6 and Larue OBR.

Both are very accurate with excellent fit and finish. </div></div>+1 on the Noveske and the Larue. Another suggestion would be LMT.

Of all the suggestions made, the only one I'm kind of leery about would be the POF. Although it's a very nice looking rifle, I've read quite a few reports of people having quality or accuracy issues. Not sure how current production models are doing. Also, they are the only ones right now who are selling a piston 308 AR. I think Sig Sauer is also working on an Armalite style, piston operated AR.

I would buy a rifle who supports our shooting sports. GA Precision is always there when asked to donate something and as you might or might not know, POF put 4 rifles on the prize table at my TPRC match this past weekend in phoenix. Plus one to the RO's, data books for everyone, top 10 dog tags, shirts, beanies, etc....

I'm a little partial to the POF, all the accuracy and reliability issues are in the past. My 308 and 260(custom made) POF's shoot under 1MOA.

LWRC is more expensive and less accurate. Nice looking rifle, but those two are a big negative in my opinion.

Agreed Scott no stoppages on the night stage. We
must have run a shit load of rounds through that thing

After some insightful recommendations I am going to order a JP LRP-07. I will send pictures and a range report in 17 months when the rifle arrives! Nah, it shouldn't be that long...I hope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CubeWarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a REPR, and I used to own a GAP AR10.

I have no experience with the JP LRP. </div></div>

dont know where your getting your accuracy issues from but I can shoot my 16" repr better then 1.0" grouping. And more felt recoil? When I attach my suppressor I actually think it has barely any noticeable recoil at all. In fact I doubt that its shooting sometimes. </div></div>

We are saying the same thing-- I posted < 1 MOA (less than 1 MOA) accuracy. The LWRCs group well, but not as well as the GAP AR10. I'm also still getting used to the rifle.

Cube - do you attribute the reliability uptick to the mag design or to running a little cleaner?

TIA

Good luck

If you are going for accuracy, then a GAP AR10 is going to smoke just about anything in terms of accuracy. I would **assume** that with the latest BCGs, gasblocks, magazines, feed ramp contours, and other updates that AR10s have seen in the last few years, that they can run reliably suppressed. The builder can tell you if it would run 100% suppressed. That won't change the fact that they will get filthy. After 22 years in the Army and counting--my hatred of cleaning DI-based ARs led me to dump my DI-based AR rifles.

I've had two AR10s. Both had the old style BCGs. Both had magazines that the guns liked and didn't like with 175SMKs. Jamming would increase with filth--it even happened with the 2008-era AR10 mags with followers, etc. I believe that the older BCG and dirtiness contributed to the failures to feed. Overall (and with matched mags) the rifles were reliable. But I wasn't convinced they would remain that way when I suppressed them.

Since I wanted to suppress and not spend hours cleaning, the piston-fed was a natural choice. REPR had piston, adjustable gas, and acceptable accuracy. My REPR has not jammed, and I only shoot with SR25 and old-style C-Prod mags. As I shoot it more, I may discover that it is finicky with certain mags, but it has not been so far. I stripped all the heavy lube off of the rifle (replacing with MILTECH) and manually cycled it 100 times before I fired my first shot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A Good Old Man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This does not make the decision easy. I desperately want a REPR but the JP is tugging on my conscience. Has anyone shot the JP? </div></div>

Yes, I have but it has been limited a buddy has one and couldn't be happier. I own a JP CTRO2 in .223 and have shot several. I mainly shoot Multigun and JP has a strong presence there. I can honestly say that I have not heard of a JP not performing without a clear cause that was not the fault of the weapon.

I realize JP doesn't have the presence in the longrange precision community that George does but John puts a huge amount of support into multigun and is a fanatical patriot when it comes to supporting the troops.

If you get the JP I feel confident that you will be much more than satisfied.

I just received a JP LRP-07 in .260 cal (it took 32 weeks to arrive). I have yet to shoot it, I hope it shoots as good as it seems to be built.

Andy

Andy,

Curious for a range report on that weapon. I was seriously considering one of those mid last year.

I just worked up some loads based on information that was given to me by a Hide member. He too has a JP in .260 caliber.
I'll let you know.

does the JP have a dealer network? Or is it only available through JP.
I too have been considering the JP but would really like to see one before making any decision.
As of now, I'm talking with D9 about a custom build, or seriously considering the POF.

JP is pretty much the only place to get their rifles.

I do know that Chuck at http://www.shootersconnection.com carries JP rifles but to date I believe he has only had them in .223

JP is a pretty small shop, however, IMO you may find a competitive product but you won't find a better product.

Not sure if LWRC got all the bugs worked out or not but my REPR ran like a sewing machine. Average groups were at .843". All in all I'm very impressed and loved the gas regulator functions. When I switched it to "C" for closed (shoots one single round at a time) my groups were dancing right around the .5 moa realm. Very happy I went with this unit.

Anything JP makes is going to be very nice. That having been said, I want a REPR so bad I can taste it. I've got 2 of the LWRC M6A3 (basically the 556 version of the REPR) and they are fantastic. As far as a DI gun, though, I'd go with the JP.