• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LWRC REPR VS Larue PredatOBR 7.62

Riggsie

Private
Minuteman
May 5, 2014
Hey there guys, new to the forum. I'm currently in the market for a new 308. Been looking around for a while now and I think I've narrowed it down to two.. The LWRC REPR and Larue Tactical's PredatOBR. The REPR is the new 20" spiral fluted version weighing around 10.25lbs. The Larue Tactical's PredatOBR will be the 18" version weighing a little under the REPR. My intended use rifle for precision shooting (between 100 and 700 yards) and also for some hunting. There is no doubt that both of these rifle are great rifles, I was just trying to see if anyone else has had the pleasure of shooting them and could throw in their two cents. I've read that both of these rifles are moa or just under (if this is true, I do not know personally). My main curiosities about the two are the Accuracy, Reliability, and Durability. I'm familiar with LWRC and I know their products are very reliable and durable. I own a LWRC M6A2 SPR and have fired over 2000 rounds without one problem. Just do not know much about the fairly new PredatOBR. Well.. Thanks for reading and hope to see what you guys have to say! Thanks!

Look at the top of this forum, there is a thread about the GAP 10 and a really long thread about the LMT MWS. Those are the two favorites around here. Or a JP, they are like a target rifle/race gun.

Hey I appreciate the info. I actually looked into the LMT and was very impressed, but was leaning more towards LWRC due to personal experience and the two seem very similar. But I would still love some feedback on both rifles. Mainly the PredatOBR. For a "suit case gun" this really stands out to me. Especially if it's as accurate as people say it is.

This is my "opinion" so please don't take it personally. Well the following is fact... the LWRC will shoot minute of squirrel... the Larue will shoot minute of the squirrels eye.

The following is opinion... :p I would never consider an LWRC over a Larue.... actually I'd not even consider an LWRC over just about any quality 308 rifle made. I think LWRC are overhyped rifles that shoot poorly and have a gimmicky AR piston system.

My Larue OBR shoots 1/2moa 5 shot groups with factory match. Every LWRC REPR I've ever come across can't even come close to that. Matter of fact, no LWRC rifle i've ever come across can even shoot tighter than my regular chrome lined DI ARs.

It's why I never bought a REPR and instead will be sending my money to JP or GAP for my next 308 AR. LMT makes an awesome rife too.

This was all my opinion. That is all. :)

Last edited:
Larue...larue...larue...taking my predatobr 762 hunting in the morning. Its one of the few semi autos I trust for my accuracy requirement. It shoots hole in hole .25moa with my load and factory federal 175. Its 14.5 inch barrel and ive hit at 1k consistently. I trust larue. Gap. And jp. In that order from all the ones ive been around. Gap would be #1 but them seem to be a little more finicky. Thats just my opinion.

Thanks! I love the input. And have read many posts agreeing with your opinion. The only REPRS that I've seen that have been getting sub moa accuracy are the ones that have been fed that magical hand load. Soo I guess the question apply directly to the Larue PredatOBR. Any experience with that hk dave?

WOW thanks TexasMade. Seriously may have pushed my decision. .25moa is pretty amazing. Im looking to get the 18" Predatobr. So here is a quick question.. Do you disassemble the barrel often? If so, how well does it zero? I hear its not much off?

Thanks! I love the input. And have read many posts agreeing with your opinion. The only REPRS that I've seen that have been getting sub moa accuracy are the ones that have been fed that magical hand load. Soo I guess the question apply directly to the Larue PredatOBR. Any experience with that hk dave?

I don't actually know what the new Larue barrels are doing, but I believe the old barrels Larue used to use were Lothar Walther. Mine shoots 1/2moa with factory match and i've gotten hand loads close to 1/4moa.

It's kind of amazing really... and am always amazed at how my OBR can compete with my best bolt action rifles.

I don't actually know what the new Larue barrels are doing, but I believe the old barrels Larue used to use were Lothar Walther. Mine shoots 1/2moa with factory match and i've gotten hand loads close to 1/4moa.

It's kind of amazing really... and am always amazed at how my OBR can compete with my best bolt action rifles.

Sounds like my type of rifle! Hows the reliability on these rifles? I'm sure it's nice due to all the quality parts, just like to hear from others.

Well the worst I've ever put my OBR through is 20mph winds with maybe 40mph gusts in the sand. It never had any issues but the weather here in CA isn't exactly tough on our gear.

Last edited:
thanks again for the input. From good ol' Indiana here. 60 one day, a foot of snow the next. but i think ill order this PredatOBR in the morning. just haven't heard much about it, and ill see if they have a match barrel for it. Ill keep people posted and maybe throw a review up or something. thanks again! :D

Isn't the pricing comparable to others? Hopefully you get what you pay for..

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I must have the unicorn REPR that shoots sub MOA. Mine shoots a cloverleaf at 100 with factory loads, not handloads. I am a LWRC fan though, lot of haters here. That being said, if your requirement is "hole for hole" I would seriously consider GAP. I would agree that the REPR was built as a battle rifle first, precision rifle second. I'll be busy eating the squirrel while the other guy tries to shoot his eye out. Jmtc

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading"

-- Thomas Jefferson

I think the predobrs have been shipping fairly regularly in 14.5 and 16. The prices are fucking crazy though.

I've had a 556 OBR on order for six months. When I talked with LaRue last week, they said the lead time on all guns was still roughly 12 months. I got the impression from another forum that there was some "anomaly" and a few PTOBRs became available on short notice a month or so ago. LaRue confirmed this without elaborating, but said they were all quickly scooped up. I don't know if they were all specific barrel lengths. I'm looking to get something to complement my GAP-10, but I'm not sure what I want yet. Probably between LaRue, JP and LMT. I'm leaning towards LaRue. I never spoke to someone who owned one and didn't love it.

Some 762 predatobrs are (or recently were) available with no wait. These were the 14.5 and 16" 7.62's. It depends on how you wish to hunt with the rifle. If you will be carrying or pulling it in and out of the truck I would suggest the 14.5" barrel. I have shot the 14.5 out to 1000 yards and it is a special rifle. It is dependable out to 750 and even beyond if you run the right ammo. It is very light and handy, yet can reach out very well when you want to. If you ran a 1-8x you would have a pretty versatile set up. I also have the 18" predatobr and while nice I would rather carry the other.The only otber thing I would warn you about is suppressors. The 18 is a rifle length gas system and seems to run better and be less finicky than the shorter barrels. We have the field grade barrels but they are sub moa or moa with match and sub moa/ half moa with my handloads.

I've had a 556 OBR on order for six months. When I talked with LaRue last week, they said the lead time on all guns was still roughly 12 months. I got the impression from another forum that there was some "anomaly" and a few PTOBRs became available on short notice a month or so ago. LaRue confirmed this without elaborating, but said they were all quickly scooped up. I don't know if they were all specific barrel lengths. I'm looking to get something to complement my GAP-10, but I'm not sure what I want yet. Probably between LaRue, JP and LMT. I'm leaning towards LaRue. I never spoke to someone who owned one and didn't love it.

I went through the same process and picked up an OBR to complement my GAP-10. I could not be happier with my decision, now I have another OBR on order...

I must have the unicorn REPR that shoots sub MOA. Mine shoots a cloverleaf at 100 with factory loads, not handloads. I am a LWRC fan though, lot of haters here. That being said, if your requirement is "hole for hole" I would seriously consider GAP. I would agree that the REPR was built as a battle rifle first, precision rifle second. I'll be busy eating the squirrel while the other guy tries to shoot his eye out. Jmtc

I was a pretty big fan myself! Especially after owning the M6A2 SPR. I LOVE the side charging handle on the REPR, and now with the spiral fluted 20in I thought it would be a no brainer on what rifle to get. The major thing here is I don't hand load.. and that seems to be the key with the REPRs accuracy. But I mean if your just using factory loads.. I think I may give it another look. moa or better? I was hoping I'd get a rifle that would "out shoot" me, but I do love that REPR.

The larue predobr is what, 3400$ off their site? People here in CA who have them, every now and then some FFL will get one...they'll want 4000+ for it. I just don't see the value there. Similarly overpriced are the LWRC REPRs, when they first hit the market here it was damn near 4000 bucks retail (a buddy of mine, law enforcement here in CA so he is rich, paid 4400 for a 16" repr when they first came out...fuck me lol). If I could shit money then I would but otherwise I think the LMT and GAP 10 are a better value. That's not saying the OBRs can't shoot, they can it's a great rifle...just that it's one of many great rifles on the market at the moment....................

The REPR may not be as accurate as the larue, but all that I have seen were Sub moa guns. I got to test a 20" spiral fluted a few weeks ago and it was sub moa with 175 FGMM and about 3/4moa with Hornady TAP. We shot about 200 rounds through it and the consistency was there both suppressed and unsuppressed. Though it may not be a "1/2moa all day long" like some of the options, the overall quality of the rifle makes the REPR something to take a hard look at.

The larue predobr is what, 3400$ off their site? People here in CA who have them, every now and then some FFL will get one...they'll want 4000+ for it. I just don't see the value there. Similarly overpriced are the LWRC REPRs, when they first hit the market here it was damn near 4000 bucks retail (a buddy of mine, law enforcement here in CA so he is rich, paid 4400 for a 16" repr when they first came out...fuck me lol). If I could shit money then I would but otherwise I think the LMT and GAP 10 are a better value. That's not saying the OBRs can't shoot, they can it's a great rifle...just that it's one of many great rifles on the market at the moment....................

The LWRC and the Larue are both expensive rifles. The base price of the gap is less, but if you have it set up with the same options as a spiral fluted repr they are about the same price. The LMT is a pretty great value for the money.

The REPR may not be as accurate as the larue, but all that I have seen were Sub moa guns. I got to test a 20" spiral fluted a few weeks ago and it was sub moa with 175 FGMM and about 3/4moa with Hornady TAP. We shot about 200 rounds through it and the consistency was there both suppressed and unsuppressed. Though it may not be a "1/2moa all day long" like some of the options, the overall quality of the rifle makes the REPR something to take a hard look at.

Wow thanks! This reason is why I do not know what rifle to get haha. Love lwrc and with all the upgrades of the repr, it's hard not to look at.

And do you think the repr (20" spiral fluted) is something you you can carry all day? Not saying this is a likely scenario for me, but I do intend to hunt with the rifle.

That would depend on you. It is not a light rifle by any means, but with a sling I think it would be doable, although not pleasant.

WOW thanks TexasMade. Seriously may have pushed my decision. .25moa is pretty amazing. Im looking to get dissappintedobr. So here is a quick question.. Do you disassemble the barrel often? If so, how well does it zero? I hear its not much off?

Ive only disassembled and reassembled once to test that and it was .5 inches off. Impressed. You have a LOT better chance to be dissapointed with the repr than with the larue. Ive never seen a larue thats not great. cant say that on lwrc

Neither. Both are douchey riffles from douchey companies, But Larue is hands down a better weapon than LRWC junk. For that reason, go Larue (Or JP or GAP or KAC)

That is very impressive... But what have you heard bad about the repr if you don't mind me asking? Is it just the accuracy? Bc I'm fine if it consistently holds moa. Another thing that draws me to the repr is that it's a battle tested rifle. It's been put through countless torture testings and even a salt bath and still preforms. If the predatobr can do the same, I think I'll be all in. But I've seen nothing on it..

Neither. Both are douchey riffles from douchey companies, But Larue is hands down a better weapon than LRWC junk. For that reason, go Larue (Or JP or GAP or KAC)

Hey sorry just curious but what makes LWRC douchey? Just wondering..

Without starting a shitstorm of epic proportions, which the same feverent dumb asses will come out of their basements to argue it out, just search.

No one serious uses them, and that means something. There are MUCH better products on the market for MUCH less money. LMT MWS being one that blows it out of the water in everything but weight.

I wouldn't say douchey just that 3300-3600 for one with a 'spiral barrel' vs say 3000 for a gap with a PRS and a cut rifled barrel chambered by the same guys who build 1/2MOA guaranteed bolt rifles...for me that's a no brainer....but it is YOUR money you buy what makes YOU happy.

Without starting a shitstorm of epic proportions, which the same feverent dumb asses will come out of their basements to argue it out, just search.

No one serious uses them, and that means something. There are MUCH better products on the market for MUCH less money. LMT MWS being one that blows it out of the water in everything but weight.

Remember, nobody serious. Serious guys use serious gear, seriously.

Price wise a KAC SR25 is up there with all of them; how do they hold up in the comparison? I remember looking at the Armalite Super SASS but got caught with the many reports that it is a 1 MOA rifle 90% of the time which is fine, but why spend that much when for $200-$300 more you can have a GAP or similar.

Hey i understand, but what's the reliability on one of these GAP10's? I know the lwrc is flawless. And for me, my opinion, the lwrc is justifiable. With the cold hammer forged barrel (lasting like 20,000 rounds), prs stock, and geilssele trigger.

LWRC is flawless how? As a junker? From a shitty company whith shitty practices who built said company using hype and bullshit to lure ignorant and uninformed consumers to buy over priced and inferior products.

The REPR MIGHT be a decent deal at half its price, and even then, you are better off buying a DPMS or M&P10.

When your LRWC breaks, who is going to fix it, where you going to get parts for and how long will it take?

They are a joke in the gun industry, and its amazing that ignorance has spread to a site with a good ammount of informed buyers/shooters like this. Welcome to 2008.

LWRC is flawless how? As a junker? From a shitty company whith shitty practices who built said company using hype and bullshit to lure ignorant and uninformed consumers to buy over priced and inferior products.

The REPR MIGHT be a decent deal at half its price, and even then, you are better off buying a DPMS or M&P10.

When your LRWC breaks, who is going to fix it, where you going to get parts for and how long will it take?

They are a joke in the gun industry, and its amazing that ignorance has spread to a site with a good ammount of informed buyers/shooters like this. Welcome to 2008.

Haha I just don't understand why you call it junk? You have put out no evidence otherwise. There are numerous torture videos out there and even more great reviews. Have you ever owned one for this opinion of yours? like I've said before, I'm fine with moa, as long as it's consistent.

Haha I just don't understand why you call it junk? You have put out no evidence otherwise. There are numerous torture videos out there and even more great reviews. Have you ever owned one for this opinion of yours? like I've said before, I'm fine with moa, as long as it's consistent.

Well, 20k on a cold hammer forged barrel is kind of pushing it. CHF is just a process for making lots and lots and lots of barrels at a time. Have you ever seen those old videos of the Ford plant where they'd have the machines stamping out a zillion fenders? CHF is like that only with barrels. Instead of drilling the bore several times to make the rifling, turning down the tube, etc...you have a machine that just bangs out barrels in a very uniform manner one after the other. Barrel life is the same, materials are the same, but from a manufacturer's standpoint it is great because they can make tons and tons and tons and tons of barrels very fast.

Now let's say you get an LMT MWS for 2200 used in good shape. You don't like the weight and you want to mount a supressor so you unbolt the barrel and send it off to adco to be cut to 14.5, threaded, and dimpled (i think they still do that), and then your suppressor attachment is tac welded on. Now it is a bit lighter and slightly more compact with your suppressor.

Now, you go shoot long range with it and find that your 14.5" 308 hammer forged chrome lined barrel just doesn't cut it at longer ranges. It's MOA but velocity sucks and goes all over the place past 700-800 yards. So you order up a 6.5MM Creedmoor stainless barrel in 22" and go shoot long range.

You can do all that with the LMT MWS for about what that spiral fluted REPR will run you retail. You don't get the side charging handle gizmo and the piston system but for me the charging handle is a neat doodad and the piston system is unnecessary.

If you want MOA you can have that with the most basic of ARmalite rifles. The 20" is 1200 bucks with a chrome lined lapped bore, you can buy a quad rail for it from Armalite for 250$ to mount your accessories and the barrel will last just as long as that LWRC barrel will and super reliable too.

But this is just ME. YOU need to do what makes YOU happy and if that means an LWRC REPR with the spiral barrel and all the doodads then buy it and be happy, more power to you. It will match your other rifle and I doubt you will have any issues getting MOA out of it.

But I guess I appreciate the opinion. It does sway me more towards the predatobr if that makes you feel any better.. haha. Unless you have something to say about them too?

Hey thanks BCP. Love the information

Friend of the family owned a piece of the company for a while, they are/were based in my backyard, I have shot them, and know plenty of people who have owned them...... the only person who still ownes them is the dude who owned a part of the company beacuse he has more Money than gun IQ.

Your new to this game, this company and this industry. This shit was hashed out years ago, and I am not going to do your research for you.

How can you saw they are flawless then question GAP? or any of the other PROVEN designs and manufactures out there. That in itself, is laughable.

They are overpriced shit. The only people who praise them are ignorant gun n ammo readers who can't afford them or people trying to justify their purchase.

Lol got it. You don't like LRWC. And your right, I am fairly new to the game. Thanks for the info, I will also consider the GAP10, as mentioned. But now leaning more towards the larue.

When a maker says "20K rounds" it's obvious BS. No barrel is going to maintain its accuracy through 20K rounds. The thing is... folks that can actually afford to put 20K rounds through it, wouldn't buy it.

Folks that can actually afford that round count generally switch their barrels on a normal basis to maintain a high level of accuracy because if you're shooting minute of duck, wth is the point except to make lots of noise?

Folks that go after the "high round" ability are deluding themselves with this strange belief that they will actually ever come close to that round count.

Logically speaking, someone that can afford to shoot $20K worth of ammo through one rifle can certainly afford more than one rifle, so they don't have to "choose". :p

Riggsie I said all this with utmost respect and it's not directed at you at all... just making an observation about the way these things are marketed.

I am with Cobracutter though when it comes to LWRC, but I also don't like to make people feel sad about their purchases so I didn't get too into it. If you love your LWRC then enjoy it! Everyone has their opinions.

Here's three observations...

#1 If they're the same price, and both are reliable, why would you go with the one that shoots groups that are twice the size?

#2 "Battle rifles" are cute and all, and i understand the fun factor behind the idea of owning a "battle rifle" but are you planning to go into "Battle"? If so, get an FN Scar and be done with it.

#3 Torture tests are funny to me. I'm sure the LWRC did great in them, but so will just about any other AR. :p Did you see the Daniel Defense torture test? All at about half the price of an LWRC with a "hammer forged 20K round barrel". hehe It's all marketing brother.

thanks hk dave. I have read that before, just thought it was pretty cool. But thanks for informing me on lwrc. I love my m6a2, but now I don't think I'll consider the repr. Still think it's a fine rifle though lol. But this being said, it looks like it's the larue predatobr that has my vote. I'll look into gap aswell.

Larue, GAP, JP... don't know anyone that has owned them and said, "This thing is a POS". :)

Larue, GAP, JP... don't know anyone that has owned them and said, "This thing is a POS". :)

Thank you! You guys have been nothing but helpful. Love all the info I can get.

Lol got it. You don't like LRWC. And your right, I am fairly new to the game. Thanks for the info, I will also consider the GAP10, as mentioned. But now leaning more towards the larue.

Its all about what your goal is, what the use will be, and what you want to shoot.

The real advantage of the GAP, JP (and MWS to an extent) is being able to shoot .260/6.5CM. Buying a GAP or JP .308 seems kind of pointless to me, I would much rather have a SCAR17, SR-25 or MWS. They all have more than acceptable accuracy and will beat just about eveyrthing else in durrability/reliability. This is kind of why the Larue is in no mans land for me. Larue is a dickhead, but his guns are pretty damn good. Its about the only thing he does really well, just hope you don't get a bad gun or you will wish you spent your money somewhere else.

Unless your staying stationary, there is no reason to chose a AR over a bolt gun for hunting. They are lighter, you don't need fast follow up shots, they are more forgiving of fundementals and they are much easier to shoot from obscure positions.

.308 just gets outclassed in every realm but economical/cheap battle rifle type shooting. 6.5CM/.260 are similar priced for match ammo (6.5 atleast), better for hunting, better for LR shooting, and more forgiving for wind calls.

If your going to stick with .308, you need to define the role you want for the gun. Its not uncommon to have a couple large frame AR's/SCAR17's setup for different roles. Atleast that is how I do it.