• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision LWTS-LR in clip on mode

glock63

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 5, 2008
Aberdeen, South Dakota
Need some advice from those who have used the LWTS-LR. I put mine in front of my ZCO 5-27 and tried it between 5 and 10 power and was sorely disappointed. Are there any tricks to improving the resolution when using as a clip on? I was in RCO mode. Should the unit be spaced forward of the day scope objective a certain amount? I only have the shuttered eye cup which I removed, and had the 2 as close together as possible. What about the parallax setting on the day scope? Anyone have a connection with L3 and know how I could acquire the proper shroud to replace the shuttered eye cup for use in clip on mode?

The LWTS-LR has an issue with the fact that they use software to demag on the rear end vs optical demag lens.

49532123573_cf469be753_k.jpg

49548521876_b977c930d1_k.jpg

So here's LWTS-LR looking at thermal target at 100yds on 8x. Note the visibility of the pixels. The pixels are visible at all magnification levels. I attribute this to the software demag.

I compare to utcx cattle at 250yds

49250846563_162b182e2a_h.jpg

utcx uses optical lens demag on the back.

So this "enhanced" pixelization of the LWTS-LR doesn't strictly affect "resolution" - but for me it definitely affected PID-ability due to the affect on my eyes of having all those pixels in the image. I had to let the yotes move in closer before shooting to make sure they weren't calves and that led to me trading it to a guy for a utc(320) which was much more functional for my use case.

49597923313_6e4fb12c7a_k.jpg

So, based on your words, all I can suggest for your LWTS-LR is "nuke the sh^t out of it" - like you would any thermal.

I can add, it didn't affect group size. From that same session where I took the pic of the pixels of the target I shot 2 groups - a 7/16 and a 9/16 off RRS

49548766142_639e09d646_k.jpg

so you should still be able to hit what you are aiming at. It'll just be more work (time) to get PID.

I do think the LWTS-LR is still one of the better Long Distance Thermal Clipons out there, one of the few that I feel comfortable saying can consistently hit 12" steel at 800yds. The UTC/x/xii, Pot Voodoo-M and Theon/eotech ELR are the others. And if none of the others was available I'd rather have the LWTS-LR than nada.

FYI, please click on all the pics above to zoom in on them better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dogtown