• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision LWTS-LR's are here

DownRangeThermal

scout alias hoginaustin
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2017
Austin TX
www.downrangethermal.com
First impressions are extemely positive....some thoughts.
1. Stand alone reticles are very nice. The M24 and M107 reticles are mil based (1 mil hash) and scale with magnification. Similar design to a horus but pretty clean. Reticle holdovers slightly offset to right with distance to account for spin drift in those 2 rifle systems. Stadia lines for vehicles and 5 foot human scale as well.

2. Stand alone mags... Optical is 2x (wide fov) first zoom is 4x (near fov) second zoom is 6x (3x). Unique that the last zoom goes from 4-6x instead of the typical double ie...4-8. Works well because you retain a decent clarity/ pixel count level on that final zoom that cleans up remarkably well with the focus control.

3. Clip on mode......has 3 modes for RCO MDO and SDO. Only difference I can tell between those 3 modes are brightness levels that are optimized for those mil optics. Like the Flir t70, utcx xii skeetirx, the clip on mode is 0.5x but unique to the LWTS-LR is the .5x mode takes you to unity (.5 x 2 optical = unity with no loss of FOV.
These were optimized for use with the 6x acog but I ran up to 10x on various optics and it is extremely usable.

4. Heavy.....this thing weighs 37 ounces!

5. Focus control is very fine between 5 and 170 meters. After 170 it is set to near infinity and super clear. I wish it came with a lever to grab or some notches like the utcx because out of the box it's tough to turn. I may get a custom throw lever made.

6. I'm pretty sure these are still utilizing DRS cores u6160 or similar. The combo of this display, germanium lens and sensor put out a fantastic image. I'll try to grab some video.

I have very limited time with the BAE UTCx & xii but have used T70 and T75 a good bit and the old CNVD-T3 and this optic is on another level from those last 3 and very comparable to the BAE UTCx.

LogoLicious_20190907_103441.jpg

20190907_114655.jpg

Last edited:
Some cell phone pics. 97 degrees 1pm in Texas so a little washed out. Didn't fine tune the focus too much just took these for FOV reference.

25 yds..... M24 reticle

LogoLicious_20190907_135422.jpg

LogoLicious_20190907_135503.jpg

LogoLicious_20190907_135539.jpg

What was the range on the video of the freeway if you don’t mind ?

Here are some pics through optics in Clip ON mode. Using a side shot phone/scope adapter presents some of it's own issues (prism mirror etc) but this will show some FOV at different day optic mags.
Target is 75 yds thermal E-TYPE. Optic was Steiner 4-28x56 with MSR2.

4x
4x LR.jpg

8x

8x lr.jpg

12x

12x lr.jpg

Reactions: wigwamitus
I'll be the first to tell you I suck at video editing but the side-shot phone/scope adapter did not play nice today. After the first shot through the thermal the phone got a little loose from recoil and totally misaligned itself. My apologies. I'll get some additional footage in clip on mode at night so there aren't the issues with glare.
I tried to sync up the two videos as best I could. Gun was a 6mm creedmoor gasser with a steiner 4-28x56 m7xi MSR2. That gun has a slight tendency to vertical string with the hornady factory eld-m. Both 3 shot strings were shot at 12x at a TherBright E-Type passive thermal target. Obviously the LWTS-LR performed the way it was designed to.....just need to figure out a better video solution for clip-on use under recoil........zip ties next time!

Aside from that testing I ran it in stand alone weapon mode on a shorty 308 gasser. Shot steel to 600 with ease. Probably the cleanest thermal image wise I have ever used under digital zoom. Just stays so clear and crisp that all zoom levels are incredibly usable. The m24 reticle was spot on hold wise to 600 as expected. Next step is working out a way to get the the BCO LPMR-T to interface with it for stand alone video.
20190912_123447.jpg

LogoLicious_20190912_204747.jpg

This thing looks amazing. Needless to say I won't be able to jump on this one even at $15k right now... Maybe they'll pop up in another year or two after I can save some more, I remember less than ten years ago where this and devices like this were going for $27k and I read that thermal prices will only continue to drop as the tech changes.

I was lucky to be able to pull off a PVS30 when those popped up, this would just be the titties to complement it. And this is exactly what I need, long range clip on thermal that'll work on a .50.

That house on the hill at ~2km, just amazing.

Reactions: deersniper
I realize it's not quite apples to apples but how does the standalone image compare to a Trijicon or halo?

I'd like to get a thermal with more clarity at distance. I have a lwts and a ir patrol currently. The patrol edges out the lwts imo.

I realize it's not quite apples to apples but how does the standalone image compare to a Trijicon or halo?

I'd like to get a thermal with more clarity at distance. I have a lwts and a ir patrol currently. The patrol edges out the lwts imo.

I'd say it's pretty close. The BAE stuff is probably still the most consistently crisp image to my eyes but it is really splitting hairs at this level. Aside from image, the commercial gear from Trijicon is not on the same playing field. I am of the opinion that other factors such as multi-use capability, recoil ratings, DOD approved testing, usable LR reticles, POI consistency, thermal core stability etc are far more important factors when considering LWIR optics. Of course you have to justify the large price difference to get all of those attributes.......

The big germanium lens on the LR definitely pushes image quality beyond what you see with the standard LWTS. The display seems to be upgraded on the LR as well.

deer is at 30yds in the 4.5x pic. I will try to get some video like that....Of course clarity will depend on day optic mag at those ranges.....just the same as digital zoom ( zooming on a display either way.)

So are you saying with ZCO 5-27 or a kahles 3-18 I should expect really good images ? Been waiting and wanting a thermal clip on but something on the BAE image range. Don’t mind spending the money if it’s truly worth it.

Can you tell me how many mils each drop corresponds to on the different reticles ?

Like how many mils from the crosshairs to the 3, 4, 5, etc drop lines? Thank you

AF1F8E54-FC87-4746-AC39-30A1A33B8533.jpeg

Last edited: