• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lyman 4500 press question

bohem

PVA's HMFIC
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2009
Southeast, PA
www.patriotvalleyarms.com
I've done several thousand cast bullets through my rifles and now pistols. It's painfully slow to constantly be lubing things by the "gloved fingers" method and then stuffing them through the Lee sizing dies.

It works, but it's really slow.

My dad has a Lyman #450 press but no heating plate for it, so it's not really any faster than my method.

I see the Lyman #4500 press has a built in heating element, does anyone use one? I know there's some major cast bullet shooters on here. I have about 2k nekkid, unsized 40 cal bullets just sitting there and I'm dreading the hours and hours of work it will be to lube them all.

I read some reviews on the cast bullet forum and a few guys have them but say that the 4500 isn't the solution to all of life's problems and they keep a 450 around too. No explanation as to why this is the case, maybe someone can tell me why?

They're going for about 2/3 price on fleabay, so I'm looking to pick up one from there primarily.

Re: Lyman 4500 press question

As I recall, not all lubes need heating. Maybe with the right lube selection, your father's press will serve.

Re: Lyman 4500 press question

Buy a heater for the 450. I use an older RCBS with a heater. IIRC, the Lyman used the same one.