• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lyman 5A sniper scope

xm25sniper

Private
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2013
Gents, I have a Lyman 5A scope serial # 1611 with a post recticle. Could this scope have been used as a sniper scope? Thanks Joe.

The Lyman 5A was used on the M1903 after WWI. Win 5As were used during the War but Lyman bought them out and started producing the Lyman 5A.

I would consider it a Win 5A if I was to run a Vintage Sniper Match and the question of Legality came up in one of my matches.

Last edited:
A small number of Winchester A5 scopes were used during WW1. Due to the delicate construction they generally found to be unsatisfactory in combat. In 1928 winchester sold the design to Lyman who made a few minor changes and reintroduced it as the Lyman 5A.

USMC correspondence from the early WW2 period comments on both models. There were in USMC inventory in 1940 some 887 dismounted scopes. They were described as "Winchester A5 (Lyman 5A)" Whether the description was truly accurate or a mistake is unclear. A couple of things are kind of hard to understand however. 1. If the scope did not work well in WW1 why would thy have bought more of them between the wars? 2. At the beginning of WW2 when certain parties were pitching a new sniper rifle (Winchester Mod 70 w/ 8x Unertl) the roadblock they kept running into from the USMC brass was " Guys there are no sniper slots in the table of organization so why do we need a new sniper rifle?

The Lyman might have been used but personnally i think the evidence is very thin. It's unlikely the Navy would have bought additional quantities of a mediocre arm during a period of relative peace.

Regards,
Jim

Last edited: