• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lyman case prep or frankford case prep

Schw15

Longrange
Minuteman
  • Jul 21, 2019
    Colorado
    Which one do you guys use more or think is the best? I have never owned one so looking for advice. These two really stand out to me. My hands just dont handle case prep very well at all. I also already have a lyman electric case trimmer

I have the franford arnesal (no trimmer) and the RCBS brass boss.

the RCBS is FAR AND AWAY better. the FA wont do 50 cases without overheating.

the lyman, if memory serves a good too, but the RCBS is STRONG, and can do 2 peices of brass at a time.

Zero problems doing anything on my Lyman. I usually do big batches of 308 and do small batches of large magnums with it.

I own the Frankford and have had no issues. I sold an RCBS Universal Shell prep station and took the recommendation from a buddy that loads hundreds of rounds a week and purchased the FA. I found the FA to be quicker and like the smaller footprint that can be use in horizontal/vertical orientation. I didn't like the tooling that was included with the FA and replaced with RCBS components. I have went a different route with trimming and don't use that feature much, but glad it's available if needed. Overall, I'm happy with my purchase and would recommend.

I have looked at the rcbs boss one also. Many options i do like the trimming feature of frankford just in case but dont have to have it

I have the FA with the trimmer. Plenty of power. Can do as many cases as your hands are capable of. Typically 300-400 is all I can muster before my hands physically are not capable of doing one more

Which one do you guys use more or think is the best? I have never owned one so looking for advice. These two really stand out to me. My hands just dont handle case prep very well at all. I also already have a lyman electric case trimmer

What exactly are you using it for?

I had the lyman for a while and sold it, its a pain in the hands. all I really used it for was chamfer/debur. And it wasnt all that good at that.

Switched it up to a forster tri-way with a drill. trim/chamfer/debur.

Also look at the Trim-It 2 for a good 3 in 1 prep tool.

I've been bouncing between the Lyman and the RCBS prep center. Probably going to go with the RCBS. But I'm looking more at the Lyman case trimmer.

What exactly are you using it for?

I had the lyman for a while and sold it, its a pain in the hands. all I really used it for was chamfer/debur. And it wasnt all that good at that.

Switched it up to a forster tri-way with a drill. trim/chamfer/debur.

Also look at the Trim-It 2 for a good 3 in 1 prep tool.
    My hands are pretty bad so i want one to help clean the necks then after trimming do the deburring and chamfering and clean primer pockets for me. Less on my hands

My hands are pretty bad so i want one to help clean the necks then after trimming do the deburring and chamfering and clean primer pockets for me. Less on my hands

Good luck, its likely going to be painful with any of the the prep centers that have a different tools for each function and you have to grip and push the same case for all of them.

Highly recommend looking into one of the many 3 way trimmers that are either self powered or drill mounted.

I gave up on some of the pointless steps and I rarely feel the need to clean pockets, if so I'll use the little hand held one.

Good luck, its likely going to be painful with any of the the prep centers that have a different tools for each function and you have to grip and push the same case for all of them.

Highly recommend looking into one of the many 3 way trimmers that are either self powered or drill mounted.

I gave up on some of the pointless steps and I rarely feel the need to clean pockets, if so I'll use the little hand held one.
    Which ones should i be looking at? I would love a drill attachment but i didnt find one. But now that im thinking i think Sinclair's makes one. Yeah my hands just dont last even on 20 brass chamfer and deburring they hurt

Theres a few.
    Giraud is the gold standard and pricey.

Trim it 2 is drill mounted.

I use the Forster 3 way on a classic trimmer with a drill attached. Looking into mounting a motor to it. The 3 way head might work on other trimmers of the same style if you already have one.

There are some others.

Alright that giruad is pricey but i already have a trimmer. But im gonna be looking into all these to find what is best on hands. Now i dont do more than 100 at a time. I try to keep up on my brass as i only shoot longe range for fun with buddies but we shoot

I've been lazy. Just been attaching my chamfer and deburring heads onto my drill and doing it that way. It works, but I've been looking at just getting a prep station so I don't have to hold onto the drill while I do it. Also, manual trimming is annoying. I feel like I suck at being consistent with trimming.

I've been lazy. Just been attaching my chamfer and deburring heads onto my drill and doing it that way. It works, but I've been looking at just getting a prep station so I don't have to hold onto the drill while I do it. Also, manual trimming is annoying. I feel like I suck at being consistent with trimming.
    I didn't think mine would fit into drill. I need something to hold brass then chamfer with drill lol

I didn't think mine would fit into drill. I need something to hold brass then chamfer with drill lol
    I have the Lyman Case Prep Multi-Tool. I just took off the camfer and deburr parts and my drill holds them fine.

I have both of these units and they both get used for their own intended design and purpose.

I use the Lyman for my own use as I prefer to trim my with a Sinclair setup, as needed. I also uniform my primer pockets to a slightly different depth than the 'presets' offer.

The FA is used when loading for a friend.

I already have a trimmer. The unit would only need to deburr and chamfer for me and also clean primer pockets. But i dont do huge batches of brass. Only to help hands but others have said it doesnt save hands. Pretty torn on which unit or just save money

I already have a trimmer. The unit would only need to deburr and chamfer for me and also clean primer pockets. But i dont do huge batches of brass. Only to help hands but others have said it doesnt save hands. Pretty torn on which unit or just save money
    What trimmer do you currently have?