• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Lyman universal case trimmer

bottom_gun

Navigator
Minuteman
Jan 14, 2010
Mason Co., WA
Has anyone had any luck getting the handle off the Lyman Universal case trimmer? It appears to be a pressed on, but I'm hoping there's a screw under the cap. I would like to replace the handle with a hex-head like a RCBS trimmer so I can use a drill to make the process faster.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Lyman universal case trimmer

I could not keep the ball bearing to keep from popping out of the collet assembly. The nice folks at Lyman told me there must be something wrong with the assembly and they'd get me another for just $22.00.

I didn't tell them to blow me, though I did think about it...

Good luck with yours. Mine now gathers dust and I'll let you have it for a reasonable price if you screw your handle up!

I am thinking Lyman still makes a power adaptor for using a drill. I have one somewhere.
+1 on Lyman. They really suck at CS. I bought a Wilson trimmer about 4 years ago and laid the Lyman aside. The Wilson works much better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am thinking Lyman still makes a power adaptor for using a drill. I have one somewhere.
+1 on Lyman. They really suck at CS. I bought a Wilson trimmer about 4 years ago and laid the Lyman aside. The Wilson works much better. </div></div>

I've used a Lyman (Orange) Universal trimmer with drill/power adapter bar for 16 years. Mine works fine with a little maintenance and is pretty fast.

To the OP:

You buy the replacement power bar, remove the cutting head on the 'handled bar', slide it out, put the new bar in and replace the cutting head and you're ready to hook up the drill.

I don't think that the handle comes off the standard bar, but take a Demel and go to town, if you're not going to pony up for the proper part.

It's not rocket science.

Chris

I am not saying it is a bad product. I am saying Lyman needs to learn a little about CS from, oh say, RCBS.
I used mine for several years to trim cases, chamfer and deburr, and some other chores. I AM saying that the Wilson does everything the Lyman can do and does it better.
If you had one then you would know.

I used the Lyman for several years but don't feel it's worth ponying up another $22.00 clams to repair what was always wrong with their trimmer.

Now I have two Forsters! Night and day improvement.
269638.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used the Lyman for several years but don't feel it's worth ponying up another $22.00 clams to repair what was always wrong with their trimmer.

Now I have two Forsters! Night and day improvement.
269638.jpg

</div></div>

+1

I also used a Lyman for several years for occasional case trimming. Once I started shooting competition and needed to trim higher volumes of cases the Lyman just didn't hold up. I too went with a Forster added the power adapter and have never looked back. So much simpler to set the OAL IMO.

Thank you all for the advice. I'm not opposed to a new trimmer, but since this money's already spent, and other trimmers aren't real cheap either. For the power adapter, I was just trying to avoid spending $20 on something that should already be there.

The crank on lyman's case trimmer is riveted to both the shaft and knob, if you grind or drill off the riveted heads they will come apart. But then it will be kinda hard to get 'em back together.

When Lyman designed that device, some fourty or more years ago, the idea of hooking up an electric drill to the shaft had not come up. So, when it did, they produced an accessory shaft so it can be done. ??

Lyman's customer service is spotty, depending a bit on who answers the phone on any given day. I've never had a failure so I have no direct experience but they do have a warrantee time limit and seem to stick to it. Not sure that's a bad thing because they would have to charge as much as RCBS/Dillon does so the 'free parts for life' would be paid for at purchase if they went that way. ??